• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match III, SCG, Sat 16th July 7.55pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Both Optus in Perth and Marvel in Melbourne are more oval than circular, as the SCG is. Also, Optus and Marvel have much steeper seating, all the way round. They're not perfect for rectangular sports but they're a damned sight better then the SCG.

Marvel Stadium is an oddity…

Despite being purposefully built for AFL, the Europeans who built it left behind some features meant for a rectangular stadium… and initially forgot to put in the coaches boxes.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
question and i dont know the answer.
Why isnt Optus slammed as a bad rugby venue and why wasnt Marvel slammed as a bad venue during the last lions tour when theyre the same shape as the SCG which is derided regularly.
Optus isn't the best but we don't slam it cause it's the only stadium in Perth to host tests and we're stoked to have them! HBF Park (Force stadium) is way better to watch but only seats 20k. Although The Wallabies did play Argentina there a while back and that was great. But as someone else pointed out before Optus is oval and steep so it's a lot better than the old Subi oval (and maybe other AFL/Cricket stadiums). Syd/Melb/Bris have larger rectangular stadiums as options.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Here here……get those bumbling dinosaurs into a room and get some rules changed ….

I have a new rule to change the game, 6 tackles and you lose the possesion. This is another one, no contest at the breakdown.

I'm creating a whole new sport lol

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I personally will never ever go watch rugby at the Olympic Stadium or the SCG again ever. After paying huge bucks for a top-priced Lions seat only to find that the players were like ants and then watching the Tahs at the SCG two years ago with the same result (even though I spent half the game with my eyes glued to binoculas) its never again. Learnt my lesson.

Pity that the officials can only see dollars. Value for dollars paid doesn't exist at AFL type stadiums.
I suppose the AFL fans at their grounds must have all been to Specsavers

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It may be about dollars, but everyone here is constantly complaining about the ARU having no money, and then blow up when they do something economic. Yes it's a shit stadium to watch rugby (although I grew up watching rugby there thoroughly enjoying it and not knowing any better), but my son and I are coming down from the country to watch it, and I'll be very surprised if we don't have a great night. A deciding test against the poms, a full house, huge atmosphere and adjacent to any number of great pubs and places to eat.
It won't happen again (listen to Michael Hooper talking about the honour it is to play probably the last test at a venue with such tradition), and if you're too much of a princess to come, I guess you just miss out!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, the last time a Test was at the SCG they probably said it was the last Test ever there too.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Let's go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220716-104810.png
    Screenshot_20220716-104810.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 100

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Actually Aussie rules is one of the few sports that is better to be in the stands than watch on TV. You have to be in the stadium to watch the 36 players on the inmense ground lol

For this reason they get bigger crowds than NRL

Thank you for calling the sport Aussie Rules and not AFL.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This game will show if the Wallabies are serious or if it's just another false dawn. You know England will be physical and bring the niggle. Just get out there and out-think them, out-muscle them and outplay them.
I dunno - we've been decimated by injury. We have a potentially weakened lineout and only have one semi-reliable out of hand kicker in the back three.

I think England will kick their way to a victory and I don't think it will mean we are back at square one.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dunno - we've been decimated by injury. We have a potentially weakened lineout and only have one semi-reliable out of hand kicker in the back three.

I think England will kick their way to a victory and I don't think it will mean we are back at square one.
Jesus mate, have a little faith. I think we will win it and show that our depth actually has got much better. Lots to look forward to.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Wright and Hodge I'd say are both semi-reliable. Obviously Wright is not the most reliable player in other areas of his game but his kicking game isn't terrible. I do tend to agree that depending on how there kicking/territory game goes will be a big decider in who wins the match, and England are a big favourite in that department based on consistency of performances in that area.

Although, hope is not lost both Hodge and Wright might not have the consistancy in there kicking/fullback games, they certainly can perform. I'm probably more worried about there high ball catching game to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.