• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England @ Twickers 17 Nov 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
From the above article:
"Deans was not bothered about the release of pressure on himself. “I’m more pleased for my family — because they probably suffer more than I do,” said the New Zealander. Did he think he would be back here in 2015 to lead the Wallabies’ World Cup assault?
“I’m not a gambling man — that’s someone else’s decision but I’d love to be because I think we’ve got the makings of a very good group here.”"

Dear god that is nightmare inducing. We've been hearing this shit for 5 years.
Those who believe he will step down are kidding themselves.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
KB (Kurtley Beale) was huge in defence, I put the defensive effort mainly down to him.

I wouldn't say huge, because his method was to let them run over him and get tangled in their legs. Not in a Campese way, it's pretty smart if you aren't going to physically dominate.

I would agree it was effective.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It was the best game Australia have played all year in my eyes. Still a few issues that I have but I'm very happy for the team.
Our scrum was really good. I thought we were lucky a few times but it was off the back of some good work that the luck came our way. We need to build on this especially for next week against the Italians.
Tapuai added a lot at 12. He has foot work and beat his man to make a few half breaks. He can off load too and his left boot got us out of trouble.
Cummins had a really good game but his opposite Charlie Sharples was well out of his depth. All the attack was down his wing and his communication and defensive reads weren't good.
Why can't we create dominant tackles? The French rushed up on us and pushed us back in defence. In the first half England did the same. We seem happy to take the tackle and let the ball carrier maintain momentum.
What is said at half time that stops us from wanting to attack? We should be putting oppositions to the sword with our attack rather than giving them the ball back and defending.
England are rebuilding and have their own issues that they need to work on. Australia need to put in 2 really good games against an Italian team that will want to make up for a poor 20 mins against the AB's and a Welsh team that don't seem to have a plan, have lost 5 games in a row and not won since March.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Realistically in the beginning he didn't seem that bad of coach, we lost but at the same time we were scoring 25 odd points a game with abunch of 22 year olds but we have just declined so much. He said play whats in front of us which was ok as it seemed maybe he is trying to get a baselien for our attack and build from that but he didn't and teams figured us out.

Hence he seemed to tear down our foundations and then just produce a makeshift team with a makeshift gameplan.....I could have handled losing games if i could see a gamplan present which could be built off and executed cleanly when players return from injury then maybe he should not be fired, But the fact is that we win games off the back of realistcally having decent players who can win soem games and execute off instinct is all that gets us by.

He has to go chances have been given for him to highlight our path for 2015 but it just seems to me that he will probably wait 6 months out and throw something together.

Its like that guy everyone knows who is doing Law at university and sits home doing nothing with his bong all day, not studying or anythign but the day before his assignment or exam throws something together and scrapes through

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Searched this thread for moore and punch but got nothing in relation so sorry if it's been raised but has anyone been cited for punching Moore?
Happened around the 58th minute during a maul, think it was 8.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Poms have a new Aussie character to hate:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...tralia-Nick-Cummins-wanting-animal-magic.html

I have read some player interviews, but this one had me grinning from ear to ear.

Go, you good thing!

I pissed myself reading that interview. The Badger is the man. I think the folks in the East are starting to understand why we love him so much over here.

EDIT: Some choice quotes:

“He clawed the canastas off the big fella. The big one-two. To me, that is outstanding,” as he told Australian journalists before his Test debut against Argentina last month.

“I just saw the line, pinned me ears back and ended bagging a bit of meat in the corner there, which was tops!”

“Luckily for me every bugger fell over and I got a gig, so I’m stoked.”

“Big Robbie? He’s been killing it. Dominating,” (this is my favourite)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And isn't that the sort of stuff we want to read about, and hear on the idiot box, instead of the Robbiespeak goobledegook we get from "Big Robbie"?

Edit: Somehow I don't think that the name "Big Robbie" is going to stick.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
The chip kicks were more effective because we had chasers with intent who knew they were on.

Like when Barnes chipped for Beale, Beale was flying at the kick and put good pressure on the receiver.

It also helped that Danny Care was AWOL from the sweeper role, a couple of scrambling efforts aside. Still, credit to B&B for spotting it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The point about the chip kicks is well made. They weren't aimless this week. The blokes obviously showed some game awareness, saw that there were holes in behind the defence and executed well. They only worked because the whole line ran up in support of the kicker. Had they stayed too deep it would have been easy for the England back three to come screaming onto the pill and slice us open.

I thought they ran the risk of overdoing it, but the Poms didn't adjust and the door was opened to do it some more. Fair enough. I was shocked at how often it worked. You could say it was England who appeared to lack a Plan B on this occasion, not us.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
kicks in the first 2/3 of the match were well executed. But in the last 20 the kicking became a symptom of fear. Wallabies went into their shells hard at the end. Everytime we survived an attack and fought our way out of our half we just kicked it back to a purple man and gave them another shot. I think this was just all the pressure of the week telling on the boys...they wanted to win - just not as badly as they didn't want to lose. That's where Beale and sharpie needed to keep everyone cool.

We got lucky that england executed badly and turned down points.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
kicks in the first 2/3 of the match were well executed. But in the last 20 the kicking became a symptom of fear. Wallabies went into their shells hard at the end. Everytime we survived an attack and fought our way out of our half we just kicked it back to a purple man and gave them another shot. I think this was just all the pressure of the week telling on the boys.they wanted to win - just not as badly as they didn't want to lose. That's where Beale and sharpie needed to keep everyone cool.

We got lucky that england executed badly and turned down points.

Did we ever. Kearnesy was spot on when he was screaming at the boys to go back to the footy that got them into a winning position. We missed a few blokes smashing into the Poms for a couple of phases and then spreading it. We got way too careful. I understand the desire to close the game out, especially after the previous week, but we should have been a bit smarter in the back half of the game. Got away with that one, but sometimes that's what you need to get your game on track.

We were better on the weekend than we've been in several games for mine.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
If anyones doubting Cummins is one of rugby's true hard men.

Nick Cummins - A piss taker of the first order.

I gotta say, Cummins growth in stature couldn't come at a more appropriate time for the Force. We were staring down the barrel of a 2013 without a player even remotely recognisable as a Wallaby. We always knew how good he was as a brand ambassador here in the West, but this growth is so important to the franchise.

Not that I don't expect him to be dropped like a hot potato when the pretty wingers come back, but i'd like to think his international exposure will help him drive the Force on what will be a challenging year for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.