• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England @ Twickers 17 Nov 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cummins is the sort of bloke you want in the trenches with you. He would be hard to drop right now. Both he and Taps took their opportunity with both hands last week.
In the long term assuming QC (Quade Cooper) is no longer in the picture then KB (Kurtley Beale) will stay at 10. Leave the Badger on the wing and move Mitchell to 15(if his comeback is successful).

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
For some reason I can't post a comment in LAS' match review.

The attached may help those who don't understand physics.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Nick Cummins -
Not that I don't expect him to be dropped like a hot potato when the pretty wingers come back, .

to be fair i'm not so sure. i never rated him a potential wallaby but since coming in its hard to see him out - bit like hooper. might be a long term 13 option after all

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The scrum was immense. There weren't a lot of them, but given the poms thought they would smash us here, it really made them drop their heads.

I feared the worst also after the Paris game. Timani would have helped against France supporting Kepu on the TH side but regardless, Kepu went down in my estimation. Fat Cat was decent enough on the LH side against Mas, but the TH side was a mess.

Picamoles may have been given a gap to score that scrum try because Dennis was held back illegally, but the damage was already done by France LHP Forestier, who surprised me on his debut. Picamoles could have scored that try legally I reckon, because the scrum was wheeled by driving on the LH side, not tricks, and Dennis would have been too far away.

Alexander, sitting in the stand, looked like the best Oz prop in Paris, but how would he go against the Poms?

I have to put my hand up and say that I misjudged Alexander as a TH scrummager - because I remembered him hinging down too much. I didn't think Alexander would have too much of a problem against Marler but did not expect him to chew him up and spit out the bones.

Robinson did brilliantly against Cole, one of the best THPs in Europe on reputation, but the only notable thing Cole did on the night was to go into an Oz ruck and put his hands down on the ground beyond the ball, then flick it to his right with his left hand. Timani and Phipps noticed this but not Poite and a minute later Tuilagi "scored" after pushing the ball forward along the ground an inch or two.

Joubert wouldn't have missed that effort by Coles - he looks for hands on the ground past the ball.

The only scrum that Oz had trouble with was when young Vunipola replaced Marler. The big fella did what he has done in the Aviva Premiership a bit this year: he put his arse out to the left, drove inside, got his head under Aleaxander's chest and lifted him up like a bull tossing a matador. A strong bugger - I'll say that for him.

The English referees know him and he wouldn't have got away with that in the AP, but Poite was on Vunipola's side of the scrum yet penalised Moore for standing up if I recall his comments correctly.

Poite is one of my favourite referees but he had an ordinary game. Players from both sides were offside around the ruck and I was nervous in case he would notice an Aussie player in front.

As for Moore: he should be starting now. TPN got a head knock and he should have been taken off as there was blood present and therefore the concussion examination dispensation would not have been needed. Regardless - one expects him to drop the ball every time he runs with it and half the time you are right.

The Wobs must have done a bit of scrum practice before the England test. I hope that they are practising restarts this week, especially recovering their own shallow kicks and defending against them.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Alexander's scrumming use to be quite good then it died for a bit both his and robinsons technique seemed to die but recently it seems someone has slapped them over the head and they are back on top

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Alexander's scrumming use to be quite good then it died for a bit both his and robinsons technique seemed to die but recently it seems someone has slapped them over the head and they are back on top

Part of Alexander's problem is surely that the Bunglies insist on playing him at loose head.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
It was more just technique in general for a while he started over extendign his legs which was a rookie error it just gets found out more when playing tight head but he has fixed this up.​
Can scrum and maintian a prolific try scoring rate............god among props?​

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It always amazes me how we seem to continually make rookie errors, errors that turn out to be easily correctable. Is it the pressure? Coaching priorities? Do we just forget?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They should give him his own TV show.

I do fear that this could lead to a resurgence in Craig McLachlan's career though.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
TPN got a head knock and he should have been taken off .
How many times do we see this happen with Tatafu? It's just not good enough to allow this fine young bloke to take unacceptable risks with his long term health. His employers need to take a close look at the circumstances of these injuries. This should be relatively easy to do from detailed examination of the available video footage.

If, as I expect, they are basically due to poor collision technique. he should be required to address and solve the problem. If he doesn't do so he should not be permitted to take the field, for his own sake. The sport of rugby and, by extension, we as spectators and supporters have a duty of care toward the players.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bruce, agreed. This is an ongoing problem with Taf. I'm worried that one day he simply won't get up. He's a real goer and as courageous as the day is long, but he's going to seriously injure himself one day if he doesn't improve his technique. Even a casual observer of the game would recognise that leading with your melon isn't the smartest idea.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Where are they trialling the "head bin"? Or is it coming in for next years S15, can't remember the details on that one.

He would have been KO'd in a boxing ring, that's good enough to take him off in my books.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The head bin was in for this game. They could have pulled him for 10 minutes to check him and then put him back out without it counting as a sub.

T

TOCC

Their is suppose to be a independent doctor who makes the call on head knocks, TPN was a perfect candidate to use this on...

Status
Not open for further replies.