• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Always a chance in a 2 horse race. England weren't great on the weekend either, we need some changes to the game plan and exit strategy though.

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Alan
4. Coleman
5. Rodda
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete or Naivalu - toss a coin
12. To'omua
13. Kerevi
14. Folau
15. DHP

16. Fainga'a
17. Kepu
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Hanigan
21. Gordon
22. Beale
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

If Pocock out, Dempsey to 8 and Samu to 6

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I wouldn't be surprised if it's reasonably close. I think our defensive patterns actually work quite well against the structured NH teams but can't deal with the looser style that NZ and Argentina play.

We need to do more in the backs than just giving it to Kerevi and hoping he can wade his way through the opposition. I'd like to see some players running back in field on some hard unders lines.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No chance of ditching the dual playmaker (which I am normally a fan of but it's just not working) and go something like?:

10 Foley
12 Kerevi
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (another selection I was against but we just don't have alternatives)

With a back three of

15 DHP
14 Sefa
11 Izzy

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Ditching the dual playmaker would be good in keeping the attack flat. 2016 taught us depth isn't going to work against England.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's been thrown around a bit but I think To'omua offers a bit of the best of both worlds at 12 - he straightens the attack but also has playmaking attributes, and is a strong defender.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't particularly like the back three of DHP, Sefa, Izzy, Reg. DHP has been a bit out of sorts in recent games, Izzy looks disinterested and slow for a wing spot (is he carrying an injury?), but I'd go with Sefa who I think has been coming into form over the tour.

So, maybe a back three of 11 DHP, 14 Sefa, 15 Banks which gives us two No 15s in the back as well with reasonable kicking games. I am hoping that To'omua will stay at 10, with Kerevi and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres. Petaia if over his hammy strain on the bench along with Gordon and Koroibete/Maddocks. But if that leaves us too short for cover at 10/12, then Foley on the bench for Koro/Maddocks.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's been thrown around a bit but I think To'omua offers a bit of the best of both worlds at 12 - he straightens the attack but also has playmaking attributes, and is a strong defender.
And yet, the most obvious combination has not been played all year.

I wonder what Cheik is playing at.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Don't particularly like the back three of DHP, Sefa, Izzy, Reg. DHP has been a bit out of sorts in recent games, Izzy looks disinterested and slow for a wing spot (is he carrying an injury?), but I'd go with Sefa who I think has been coming into form over the tour.

So, maybe a back three of 11 DHP, 14 Sefa, 15 Banks which gives us two No 15s in the back as well with reasonable kicking games. I am hoping that To'omua will stay at 10, with Kerevi and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres. Petaia if over his hammy strain on the bench along with Gordon and Koroibete/Maddocks. But if that leaves us too short for cover at 10/12, then Foley on the bench for Koro/Maddocks.
You can, rightly or wrongly, shelve Banks as a selection. Won't happen.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And yet, the most obvious combination has not been played all year.

I wonder what Cheik is playing at.

Because Beale has been the preferred option at 12, but I think To'omua did enough on the weekend to lock down the 12 spot, but not enough to knock Foley out of the 10 spot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Because Beale has been the preferred option at 12, but I think To'omua did enough on the weekend to lock down the 12 spot, but not enough to knock Foley out of the 10 spot.
Maybe. I have a strong feeling we won't see it though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I might be the only one here but I am still not sold on Kerevi at 13. He was good last week against a very average Italy. England are a different kettle of fish and a couple of years ago he really struggled against them.
I would actually have Folau at 13 until TK comes back and/or Petaia steps up.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I might be the only one here but I am still not sold on Kerevi at 13. He was good last week against a very average Italy. England are a different kettle of fish and a couple of years ago he really struggled against them.
I would actually have Folau at 13 until TK comes back and/or Petaia steps up.

Didn't he play 12 in that series? I think he's improved quite a lot since 2016 in regards to passing and decision making game. A couple of seasons ago he'd be guilty of not passing to the man in space.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Didn't he play 12 in that series? I think he's improved quite a lot since 2016 in regards to passing and decision making game. A couple of seasons ago he'd be guilty of not passing to the man in space.
It was 12. Kerevi 13. TK, until the last test where it was 12. To'omua 13. TK (i think).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
That’s right.
We will see. No doubt he has improved, particularly his defence. I wish he would look for space at pace rather than seeking contact and then trying to overpower his opponent. You rarely if ever see him make a clean break like TK or Folau.
I’m sure it is something he can learn to do.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I wish he would look for space at pace rather than seeking contact and then trying to overpower his opponent. You rarely if ever see him make a clean break like TK or Folau.
I’m sure it is something he can learn to do.

Just checked the Super numbers, he made 63 tackle busts and 9 linebreaks. Most other backs with that many tacklebusts were making 15-20 linebreaks so you are right he probably could work on that area. On a bit of a sidenote Taqele was top 3 in linebreak, tackle busts and run metres, would have been nice to have seen what he could do in a gold jersey.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just checked the Super numbers, he made 63 tackle busts and 9 linebreaks. Most other backs with that many tacklebusts were making 15-20 linebreaks so you are right he probably could work on that area. On a bit of a sidenote Taqele was top 3 in linebreak, tackle busts and run metres, would have been nice to have seen what he could do in a gold jersey.
His 15 tries were what piqued my interest. I doubt we'd get away with playing him without his defence or semi-trailer like turning circle being ruthlessly exposed though.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Morgan Turinui, who I count as one of the best Rugby brains in the country, and a former Wallaby centre himself, reckons Samu is a far more effective 12 than 13. His catch pass has improved markedly over the last couple of years, recent handling errors aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.