• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GingerBreadCrab

Sorry about being so vague but I've had no time to google during my lunch break.

Can we get back to the game?

I reckon it's better off we stay vague! Pretty poor behaviour from everyone in that scenario. Happy to move on.

balkan

Frank Row (1)
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but in his defence I'm sure Teo was never charged. The allegations (and the photograph) were at the very least unsubstantiated so there was nothing to be settled. I'm sure Teo then moved out of town to play with the Rabbitoh's for a couple of seasons before heading over to England. As a side note Chris lynne (I'm unsure of the spelling) had a few words to say about this ladies pattern of behaviour (Twitter?) and was sanctioned by either the Queensland or Australian cricket mobs.

Sorry about being so vague but I've had no time to google during my lunch break.

Can we get back to the game?

You're not wrong on the charge bit.
I'm English but followed the Rabbitohs a bit around that time because rumours were building about Sam Burgess moving to Bath. IIRC Matt O'Connor was coaching Leinster Rugby and had hired some backroom staff with connections to the Rabbitohs/NRL. Te'o's on record saying he had decided to get out of the goldfish bowl after everything that happened and Leinster offered him a gig. Obviously he has EU citizenship so a deal was pretty easy to make from a Leinster pov.

He went ok in Dublin and was improving. However, Leinster/IRFU were intent on bringing Robbie Henshaw from Connacht and young Gary Ringrose - who is definitely delivering on the schoolboy hype! - was ready to play a bigger role having been introduced slowly the previous year. That made Te'o the odd man out. Worcester, never shy about throwing money about, were able to make an offer without it affecting their English quota/payments as he's been qualified from birth. He would start the 2016 season in the Premiership, hence eligible for England, just as Eddie Jones was getting his feet under the table.

It definitely wasn't a case of Rugby Australia incompetence or some Machiavellian Eddie Jones scheme. It was a dumb aligning of interests for all concerned. I suspect he'd still be playing NRL if in Aus.

And for those asking, Skelton has been going very well lately. The Saracens pack generally beats up whatever is put in front of it. Their tight 5 features 4 Test Lions (Mako Vunipola, Jamie George; Maro Itoje, George Kruis) plus Vincent Koch. Nick Isiekwe, another Saracens 2nd row, has 3 or 4 England caps aged 20. Skelton is about their best tight forward at present. It's a bit hard to tell as their England players are away a lot or currently injured (Vunipola, Isiekwe), but most are expecting him to retain his shirt in their big games for now. Saracens are yet to lose this season, 10 wins from 10...

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I like Te'o - he was always solid for the Maroons and was one of the Rabbitohs' best in the 2014 GF.

Did anything ever come of Farrell's tackle in terms of the match review? I see Angus Gardner has admitted on a Will Greenwood podcast his tackle against the Boks should have been a penalty. Think I won't hold my breath for Peyper to come out and do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.