• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lindommer, I note your preference to retain the same 23, but where would you place Allan Ala'alatoa if he is fit? He was in the original 23 and only replaced late by TR after injuring his ankle. Should Cheika revert to his favoured 23 or did Tom do enough (and he was very good) to be retained? Similarly, where does Rory Arnold now fit into the scene? Arguably, one of the best three locks all season. Does he come in after suspension or is he now on the outer? If he returns, at the expense of Simmons or Tui?

In answer to your question about the ball going through the hands to the Irish wingers, I do recall a couple of occasions when it did get to the left winger, who then put it on the boot rather than run and recycle. One occasion he actually kicked it dead from near the half way line.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Your loyalty to your fellow Brumbies is to be admired, BR. I'm not advocating Robertson and Simmons in their stead because they're Waratahs, I don't give a bugger where gold players come from. In this instance Tom's and Rob's inclusion was from pure happenstance; one from a suspension and the other via an unfortunate training incident. There'll be more occasions like this before the RWC squad's selected. Arguably our best LH prop the last 12 or so years, Benn Robinson, didn't make one RWC due to poorly-timed injuries. It happens.

For this series against a very well-prepared and experienced Irish side I'd strongly advocate continuity. 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) and Arnold should make the EoYT and the RWC squads, injuries and other mishaps notwithstanding.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
An absorbing test match...a proper test match. Tight and tough and these things always fall either way of small margins. If CJ Stander dives early it's a try, Coleman silly on the Irish lock to cost Folau a try and then the "obvious and clear knock on" that no-one apart from the TMO saw for the replacement 9's try for Ireland plus Carberry missing the kick in front. Wallabies looked a bit fresher a bit more polished out back The caveat I would put on all of this is that 4 of the Irish front 5 and 5 of that pack didn't start against England and the whole front row do not start for their club teams in Ireland. I would expect a full deck from Ireland this week so they will be better. So too will the Wallabies. Beale was my 'best on ground'...an outstanding performance. Pocock just an immense performance also...the Wallabies are an infinitely better side with him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought it a bloody good test match. When we arrived at ground it was good to see the line up of people waiting to get into Suncorp, gave a good vibe to start with. And once inside the Irish supporters singing etc surely helped with a positive feeling. Probably the other good thing is we can come in here and see some (rightly) positive posts about Wallabies and lets hope it continues. Rugby is still in a reasonable place here in Australia, remember a proper International game is what seperates Rugby from it's competitors in the sports field, and if everyone keeps up the good feelings it will only be good for the game!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Your loyalty to your fellow Brumbies is to be admired, BR. I'm not advocating Robertson and Simmons in their stead because they're Waratahs, I don't give a bugger where gold players come from. In this instance Tom's and Rob's inclusion was from pure happenstance; one from a suspension and the other via an unfortunate training incident. There'll be more occasions like this before the RWC squad's selected. Arguably our best LH prop the last 12 or so years, Benn Robinson, didn't make one RWC due to poorly-timed injuries. It happens.

For this series against a very well-prepared and experienced Irish side I'd strongly advocate continuity. 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) and Arnold should make the EoYT and the RWC squads, injuries and other mishaps notwithstanding.

Similarly, Lindommer, I am not advocating either of AAT or Arnold because they are Brumbies, they are Wallabies at this time of year just like any of the Tahs. I ask the question because AAT was first choice bench LHP for the first test, and Arnold consistently was in the best three locks throughout the Super season.

In fact, I was one of the few posters before the first test who thought Robertson was playing his best football this season, strong in the scrum and very good in general play, and I was advocating for his inclusion all along. I don't particularly think he should be dropped for a THP to cover the LH side on the bench. I am just curious to know how you might think Cheika sees the situation if AAT is fit.

Everyone knows that I don't rate Rob Simmons at test level at all, and that dates back to his early Reds days long before he became a Waratah. I think his difference at the lineout is overstated, and I am still convinced (as I've been saying for the past month or so) that the Tahs' LH side has been stronger than the TH side in scrumming. I think it was evident again last night. The lineout problem is still one with its genesis in the selection of the backrow. Two jumpers, whether or not one is Simmons, will struggle against good quality opposition. Arnold, Rodda and Coleman just offer so much more around the ground that I think it would be a wise move to get them together as soon as possible. In this case I would prefer a change to be made.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Isn't it weird to see the Wallabies hang tough and win in a physical game, against an opponent who had the better of possession and territory, but clearly had no Plan B?

I felt like it was bizarro world. Ireland took a page straight from the Wallaby playbook. Happy for them to take a few more while they are there.......

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Great test enjoyed it, well done wallabies. It still intigues me that when a few big hits are made in defence the confidence rises exponentially within the team. Not saying Wallabies get scared in games ( except maybe at Eden Park) but they truely played with no fear. Play like that in every game please gentleman.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer, I note your preference to retain the same 23, but where would you place Allan Ala'alatoa if he is fit? He was in the original 23 and only replaced late by TR after injuring his ankle. Should Cheika revert to his favoured 23 or did Tom do enough (and he was very good) to be retained? Similarly, where does Rory Arnold now fit into the scene? Arguably, one of the best three locks all season. Does he come in after suspension or is he now on the outer? If he returns, at the expense of Simmons or Tui?

In answer to your question about the ball going through the hands to the Irish wingers, I do recall a couple of occasions when it did get to the left winger, who then put it on the boot rather than run and recycle. One occasion he actually kicked it dead from near the half way line.
Robertson is much improved this year which many are not giving enough credit to. Ok still not saying best loosehead but much closer as better option now then he was last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Robertson to keep his bench spot, AAA on the LH side is a small gamble anyway.

I would prefer Arnold over Simmons.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would like to see Arnold given a go as he’s been in beastly form this year, but I think he would only come in as either a direct replacement for Rodda, or Tui if we keep a 6/2 bench............

Interesting to note that Arnold was the leading Aussie lineout taker in Super rugby until his suspension.......... that extra reach makes it hard to pick off.

As for AAA - I don’t particularly want to see him at LH, and our bench props did well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The underlying thing from this game is what we need to compete to become a consistently top team.

Every player had a decent game and did their job. A couple of players had absolute blinders.

This has essentially been the blueprint for the All Blacks for a long time to be almost unbeatable. Players do their jobs and put in consistently solid performances with a very high floor. A couple of players play really well and that's enough to beat a very good team.

That wasn't the best performance by Ireland but they are also an excellent team. That's a performance that would have beaten most teams playing pretty well against them. They defend well, they control possession for long periods of times and they can capitalise on mistakes. They could play like that again and win most games comfortably. They could play like that against Australia most of the time and win.

The big question is whether we can back it up again this weekend.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What’s the tweet say?

Get this - Rugby Australia boss @raelenecastle told journos in the press box before the game last night she thought the score would be Wallabies 18, Ireland 9. Spot on
1f44f.png
1f44f.png

Status
Not open for further replies.