• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Italy, Suncorp Stadium, 24th June 2017 @ 3:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hunt really hasn't shown anything in attack besides reasonably strong direct running. See comments above about becoming the Southern Hemispheres latest edition of Gatland's Wales.

That being said i could live with Beale linking in at fullback and keeping hunt at 12 purely for defensive purposes. Pretty sure Beale was second playmaker from the back for Wasps with reasonable success. Izzy to the wing. I can't see Cheik doing this though.

Hunt almost plays like another loose forward the way he hits rucks which is quite nice.

It's a shame that we didn't get Hunt in his early 20s when he was a lot more dynamic- he would have been a fantastic attacking and defensive 12.

I'm still adamant that we could move Folau to 13, and we would gain a lot more than we would lose and then could have Beale at fullback with DHP and another on the wing.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
It's a shame that we didn't get Hunt in his early 20s when he was a lot more dynamic- he would have been a fantastic attacking and defensive 12.

I'm still adamant that we could move Folau to 13, and we would gain a lot more than we would lose and then could have Beale at fullback with DHP and another on the wing.

Folau was terrible at 13 for the Tahs this year. Struggled to get involved offensively and just not good enough defensively.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I love Hunt being a 12 with strong direct running. I much prefer this than a crab that invades the space of his outside team mates. He plays his role in the side and does not transfer pressure to his team mates both in attack and defense.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
IMHO we have the players (with the exception of a couple of either non performing, selfish or blokes that just shouldn't be in the team) to be challenging for the number 1 spot in world rugby and on a regular basis.

Sure, players need to up the skills level (or some players do anyway).

Our "culture" needs to improve. Our game plan needs to be innovative, yet capable of being executed by the playing group. This is the HC's responsibility together with the Assistants he has chosen to implement the above things together with a high level of "man management". The stuff in this paragraph needs to be present before the group becomes a team. Pick players or drop them for the right reasons. Defence is always about attitude. Do not play favourites with a couple of "untouchables". It, as it always does fuck the team culture from the inside. Fuck off blokes, whoever they are who are playing for themselves and not 100% for the team. Be ruthless in that endeavour.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's time to see what we look like with someone else at 5/8.
They may be better than Foley and may be needed in case of injury.
Give Quade a starting berth v Italy and take things from there.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's time to see what we look like with someone else at 5/8.
They may be better than Foley and may be needed in case of injury.
Give Quade a starting berth v Italy and take things from there.

This is mind boggling.

Quades been demonstrably worse than Foley all Super rugby season and in the test season prior to that.

He has a good 20min off the bench and all of a sudden he's hit form and is a deserved starter?

Foley may not be setting the house on fire but the alternative isn't an unknown. Quades had all the chances in the world to prove he's the better candidate and the vast majority of the evidence indicates that he's not.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
IMHO we have the players (with the exception of a couple of either non performing, selfish or blokes that just shouldn't be in the team) to be challenging for the number 1 spot in world rugby and on a regular basis.

Nope.

New Zealand could put out three separate teams that would all beat us on the regs. We have the players to compete for a top three spot and we do that just about.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Powell either has to start or be given plenty of game time this week............

Genia's form aside, if he picks up an injury it would be preferable to have Powell get significant test experience before the RC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if Cheika makes many than a couple of changes this weekend.

I'd expect Nabuli to drop out and Korobeite get a debut or Naivalu a run.

We will probably see Sio start and potentially Hanigan replaced by Timani but I'm still not convinced that will happen.

I think Cheika largely thinks this is his best team and will continue with it.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
He has a good 20min off the bench and all of a sudden he's hit form and is a deserved starter?

I agree with you that Quade won't be leap frogging Foley. Depending on Hunt passing a fitness test (for a concussion), Cheika will have to either play Hodge or Cooper/Foley at 10-12.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon we will see quite a few changes.

1 Sio
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Arnold
5 Coleman
6 Higgers
7 Hooper
8 Timani

9 Genia
10 Foley
11 DHP
12 Hunt (depending on concussion - Hodge otherwise)/
13 Kuridrani
14 Sefa or Koro
15 Izzy

Not the team I'd pick, but the one I expect to see.

B

BLR

Quades been demonstrably worse than Foley all Super rugby season and in the test season prior to that.

To be fair, Nonu was like that, rubbish in Super Rugby, a star for the AB's.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
To be fair, Nonu was like that, rubbish in Super Rugby, a star for the AB's.

To be fair, Quade doesn't have Nonu's history of excelling at test level.

With 60+ caps we've seen this time-in-time-out.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I reckon we will see quite a few changes.

1 Sio
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Arnold
5 Coleman
6 Higgers
7 Hooper
8 Timani

9 Genia
10 Foley
11 DHP
12 Hunt (depending on concussion - Hodge otherwise)/
13 Kuridrani
14 Sefa or Koro
15 Izzy

Not the team I'd pick, but the one I expect to see.

Begs the question why we didnt see it for the Scots.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
To be fair, Quade doesn't have Nonu's history of excelling at test level.

With 60+ caps we've seen this time-in-time-out.

Look, I agree with the assessment that Foley retains his seat, but honest your responses to Quade are emotional.

Foley is the form 10, an off game (as said before, on the back of questional forward performance) should not (and will not) lose him the 10 jersey (short of Cheika going all experimental again).

Quade will need to demonstrate consistency of better form in order to get a look. Which is fine.

I'm not entering into your hysteria of 60 odd caps etc. I also look forward to when Quade DOES overtake Foley. It is not yet though.

Still a VERY good start on that journey last week Quade my friend. Keep 'em coming.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hunt really hasn't shown anything in attack besides reasonably strong direct running. See comments above about becoming the Southern Hemispheres latest edition of Gatland's Wales.

That being said i could live with Beale linking in at fullback and keeping hunt at 12 purely for defensive purposes. Pretty sure Beale was second playmaker from the back for Wasps with reasonable success. Izzy to the wing. I can't see Cheik doing this though.

Hunt almost plays like another loose forward the way he hits rucks which is quite nice.

Which backs are showing anything in attack? Hunt and Folau are the only two backs I'd give a pass performance too.

Beale will be back in the side, no doubt. But Hunt at 12 has been good and he offers the most complete 12 package we can put out there. Beale may come in at 15 and I would be happy with that. He has better speed and counter attack on kick return than Folau and Folau makes a lot of sense on the wing given we have seemingly just discovered his ability in the air near the tryline. And lack of decent wingers.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
You could use Quade as an impact player. I don't think he'll ever be a classic test 10, steadily steering the ship. He doesn't look comfortable when he tries to be that.

Bring him on with 15 to go when we are camped on the line and need some hail-mary, round the back 5% triple cut-out pass to break an obstinate defensive line. He very nearly did it last week with that pass to Foley. If the Scots had not been half a mile offside we would have scored after.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Using the same or similar players without addressing other things like coaching, attitude etc etc (as I have said previously) will bring the same result (performance irrespective of win or lose).

Something else needs to change but few on here acknowledge that. Says a lot..........................

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Using the same or similar players without addressing other things like coaching, attitude etc etc (as I have said previously) will bring the same result (performance irrespective of win or lose).

Something else needs to change but few on here acknowledge that. Says a lot..........

I think you are quite wrong about the bold bit.

My reading of a lot of statements on the forum would be that is the dominant viewpoint.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Begs the question why we didnt see it for the Scots.

because I think Chek thought that team was our strongest team, injuries considered.

I think he'll make changes for Italy on the back of an unimpressive performance.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.