• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Italy, Suncorp Stadium, 24th June 2017 @ 3:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was very surprised at how passive the Wallabies started this test given what happened last weekend. On their heels in defence, staggered line, giving away easy metres.

Italy a little unlucky with that TMO call.

Something's not right in this Wallaby camp. There's a lack of composure and teamwork for large portions of the last two tests.

I foresee a tell all interview coming with McArdle and [insert player/coach/administrator name]

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think it's looking like the coach has lost his players. Doesn't matter which new players, or old ones recycled, he brings in, the same old shit happens. Poor skills especially with ball in hand, poor decision making, poor fitness (according to the coach, but wasn't that the same excuse last year?), faltering set piece, the whole lot. At the top of the list is poor game plan and execution by the players.

Whatever the cause, that was a failure on the part of the Wallabies. The carnage when we face the ABs will be shattering.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from this afternoon

Flickr or Facebook

35502123765_efdfdc6221_z_d.jpg

34692836623_4fdb6dfe3b_z_d.jpg

T

TOCC

I still don't get the Fardy exclusion, you can't tell me he isn't better then Dempsey or Hanigan, if Cheika is willing to select a player from overseas then he should consider all players who are sill contracted within Australia. If it were just a form consideration, then I'd understand, but blindside flanker is hardly a position of strength for Australia.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The normal ruck stuff for the game against Italy.

2017-06-24_20-11-40.png

2017-06-24_20-07-42.png

A very low level of Ruck Involvement.
Italy was obviously not considered a threat at the breakdown.
Wallabies won 65 of 65 Rucks - 100%.
Italy won 71 of 72 Rucks - 98%.
Wallabies won with 46% Possession & 44% Territory.
Wallabies 86 of 96 Tackles - 90% (best for a while).
Italy 77 of 98 Tackles - 78% (didn't help their cause.

2017-06-24_20-16-36.png

Front Row showed a slight increase in Total Ruck Involvements.

2017-06-24_20-17-57.png

If Cheika is leaving Defensive Ruck Involvements only to those who are "good at it" then he needs to up-skill more than just the Back Row.
Back Row and Karmichael Hunt made nearly 80% of D Rucks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I noticed early in the game Hunt attempted four tackles which he fell off without bringing the ball carrier to ground. Each carrier made another couple of metres before being put to ground by others.

Do those instances count in statistics as missed tackles or tackle assists? Anyone know?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
2017-06-24_20-18-55.png

60% of 2 or less in support of ball carrier.

2017-06-24_20-18-32.png

Stood-off a very high 67% of D Rucks. (Fiji 56%; Scotland 58%)
Only 4 rucks with 2 or more involved.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I still don't get the Fardy exclusion, you can't tell me he isn't better then Dempsey or Hanigan, if Cheika is willing to select a player from overseas then he should consider all players who are sill contracted within Australia. If it were just a form consideration, then I'd understand, but blindside flanker is hardly a position of strength for Australia.

How on earth Jack Dempsey deserves a wallabies cap is beyond me. Is selecting a player who clearly is no-where near international level yet better then selecting a player who's going overseas ?

I think I need some time away from rugby.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
And Moore's shocker in mid-field too. A few loose tap-backs at times too - unnecessary. Take out the 3-5 absolute brainfarts and we are very comfortable. I just cannot fathom why some players are trying such plays when there is just no need for most of them. It reeks of a lack of confidence in what they're doing at times that they feel they have to take low percentage risks.

Fatigue makes for bad decisions, especially so when under pressure, not just in the game but externally as well.

For me we have seen the Super sides fade out of games badly in the last 20 minutes all year and Moore and other have confirmed that the Wallabies are not fit for purpose.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
For those interested in the different ruck/breakdown strategy used in these June Tests compared to the last year's EOY Tests (against very different opposition) and combined England/TRC 2016.

We're certainly missing the efforts of Pocock, Fardy & McMahon at D rucks.
And we no longer have Gill or Hodgson in the mix.

I don't see this new strategy working against the ABs or Bokke.

2017-06-24_22-21-09.png

2017-06-24_21-51-26.png

2017-06-24_22-01-10.png

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I noticed early in the game Hunt attempted four tackles which he fell off without bringing the ball carrier to ground. Each carrier made another couple of metres before being put to ground by others.

Do those instances count in statistics as missed tackles or tackle assists? Anyone know?

ESPN show Hunt as missing 3 of 9 Tackles.

DHP missed 2 of 4 Tackles.

No-one else missed more than 1 Tackle.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

Can't be considered a tackle surely? Although, whilst he fell off them he also shot out of the defensive line to hit the carrier and impede them, if not entirely tackling them. I wouldn't say many if any of his 'missed' tackles had an overall negative effect.

Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was very surprised at how passive the Wallabies started this test given what happened last weekend. On their heels in defence, staggered line, giving away easy metres.

Italy a little unlucky with that TMO call.

Something's not right in this Wallaby camp. There's a lack of composure and teamwork for large portions of the last two tests.

I foresee a tell all interview coming with McArdle and [insert player/coach/administrator name]

It certainly seems that way. Some of the brainless footy we've played in the last few tests is pretty out of character. The Wallabies have been known for usually playing fairly smart rugby, but the game plan or the execution under pressure (or both) is not working right now. We're going to get absolutely pumped the rest of this year if we keep playing like we are. We are simply not at an acceptable standard right now.

K

KAOPointman

I still maintain the wallabies biggest issue is lack of direction during attack phase. Foley as playmaker is seriously lacking at test level if we want to be challenging world top 3 ranking. Closely followed by an inexperienced and still unbalanced forward pack not performing consistently.

Here's my view (again) of notable incidents involving the wallabies "playmaker" Bernard Foley.

The following points are played against a rugby minnow, world rank 15th Italy........

1st min Foley Knocks on.
1st min Foley and Folou give away offside penalty.
3rd min Foley throws non pressured pass way too high ending in a knock on.
4th min Poor unpressured exit kick.
6th min Foley falls for a dummy pass leading too Italy potential try(disallowed).
6th min Another poor touch finder foley kick.
15th min Great touch finder off penalty
16th min Good Foley inside short ball for line break assist.
18th min Foley converts from sideline
28th min Foley knocks on again...
34th min Foley doesn't trust hunt beside him and makes the wrong judgment call tackling the wrong guy, allowing a clear linebreak for a try between himself and Genia.

Half time....so far zero playmaking involvement in tries so far for foley. Hunt doing a better playmaker job!
42nd min Foley 10metres out steps and Beats 1 and nearly scores.
44th min foley involved in freakish flick pass leading to Aus try.
56th min supports Genias linebreak well, but pass way over his head
60th min Foley knocks on cold 5m out in front of posts.....AGAIN
76th min foley slips thru 3 players for a 7m try
79th min...foley finally directly involved in setting up a team try.....beats and sucked in 3players to allow a 50 sprint race try.

I'll keep it simple.....I've said it before......if that was Quade Coopers rap sheet.....he'd never play again.....yet still despite showing a solid at super rugby level at best form.....he's continually chosen as the Wallabies playmaker. Truely boggles my mind. A simple addition of a real playmaker like Hunt at centre has transformed our backline 3fold. Our wingers are scoring and Folou is FAAAR more involved once again. Yet Foley is rarely involved in our tries.
Last week vs Scotland....Foleys only try involvement was a cross kick to a FREAKish Folou catch n score. Say no more.

Anyway...I say let Quade play...or start blooding young new talent if your that scared of the publics opinion to let Cooper start....even against a team we should be flogging like struggling Italy. IMHO

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I still maintain the wallabies biggest issue is lack of direction during attack phase. Foley as playmaker is seriously lacking at test level if we want to be challenging world top 3 ranking. Closely followed by an inexperienced and still unbalanced forward pack not performing consistently.

Here's my view (again) of notable incidents involving the wallabies "playmaker" Bernard Foley.

The following points are played against a rugby minnow, world rank 15th Italy....

1st min Foley Knocks on.
1st min Foley and Folou give away offside penalty.
3rd min Foley throws non pressured pass way too high ending in a knock on.
4th min Poor unpressured exit kick.
6th min Foley falls for a dummy pass leading too Italy potential try(disallowed).
6th min Another poor touch finder foley kick.
15th min Great touch finder off penalty
16th min Good Foley inside short ball for line break assist.
18th min Foley converts from sideline
28th min Foley knocks on again.
34th min Foley doesn't trust hunt beside him and makes the wrong judgment call tackling the wrong guy, allowing a clear linebreak for a try between himself and Genia.

Half time..so far zero playmaking involvement in tries so far for foley. Hunt doing a better playmaker job!
42nd min Foley 10metres out steps and Beats 1 and nearly scores.
44th min foley involved in freakish flick pass leading to Aus try.
56th min supports Genias linebreak well, but pass way over his head
60th min Foley knocks on cold 5m out in front of posts...AGAIN
76th min foley slips thru 3 players for a 7m try
79th min.foley finally directly involved in setting up a team try...beats and sucked in 3players to allow a 50 sprint race try.

I'll keep it simple...I've said it before..if that was Quade Coopers rap sheet...he'd never play again...yet still despite showing a solid at super rugby level at best form...he's continually chosen as the Wallabies playmaker. Truely boggles my mind. A simple addition of a real playmaker like Hunt at centre has transformed our backline 3fold. Our wingers are scoring and Folou is FAAAR more involved once again. Yet Foley is rarely involved in our tries.
Last week vs Scotland..Foleys only try involvement was a cross kick to a FREAKish Folou catch n score. Say no more.

Anyway.I say let Quade play.or start blooding young new talent if your that scared of the publics opinion to let Cooper start..even against a team we should be flogging like struggling Italy. IMHO

IN-COMING!!!!!!

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Anyway.I say let Quade play.or start blooding young new talent if your that scared of the publics opinion to let Cooper start..even against a team we should be flogging like struggling Italy. IMHO

That list you made probably applies to every single game Quadey played this Super Rugby season, if you just switch some time markers. He's been absolute ass. Foley has his stinkers, but I think he generally is a better player than flakey Quade.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Simple question though - who?

To be honest, I question that Quade deserves to be on the bench based on his super form this year and, until he shows he is committed to changing his tackling style to stop getting carded, I am very reluctant to see him starting for the Wallabies. After him, there is essentially no one. Next in line is probably Lance, followed by ?????

I agree, that the lack of consistent, test level halves is one of our biggest issues (but only one of) - but there is a gulf between Foley and the next best.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
There's no question Cooper reads the game better than Foley, but QC (Quade Cooper)'s form this year has been horrifically bad. It's unbelievable that he's in the squad, even mores that he's on the field.

Foley's a very capable, test level 10 with a consistently poor kicking game and ordinary defence which make him substandard. He's way better than any other option in Australia at the moment though.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Fatigue makes for bad decisions, especially so when under pressure, not just in the game but externally as well.

For me we have seen the Super sides fade out of games badly in the last 20 minutes all year and Moore and other have confirmed that the Wallabies are not fit for purpose.
True. But the shenanigans in the opening 10Min of play are harder to explain

Status
Not open for further replies.