• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Oh man, KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10. I don't agree with it, but by the same token hope that Kurtley smashes it on the weekend. The rest of the team I'm very comfortable with. To'omua and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the midfield and a couple of hard charging wingers who can really lay the hurt on in defence is really promising. Gutted for Foley though, because I don't feel he's done anything wrong. Tevita I'm also disappointed for, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been so good this season that it's not like he's missing out to an inferior player.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I think it was inevitable that people would be critical of putting Beale at 10, but I think if we're going to be a chance against the All Blacks, we need to do more than play it safe - we need attacking options that give us as many weapons as possible, and with Cooper out, there is actually a pretty good case for playing Beale there.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Certainly we need to roll the dice against the AB's and take the game up to them. Whether this is the way I don't know, but they'll all have my full support regardless.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm sure the Blacks will attack down our 10 channel - bastards are probably now calling for extra training sessions just to further enhance that aspect of their attack. Might send KB (Kurtley Beale) some shoulder pads to help out.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm sure the Blacks will attack down our 10 channel - bastards are probably now calling for extra training sessions just to further enhance that aspect of their attack. Might send KB (Kurtley Beale) some shoulder pads to help out.

I have a distinct feeling that Link may have thought this one through and will likely have an answer for that prospect..

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Let them try, KB (Kurtley Beale) is going to have Matt To'omua on his outside and Cliff Palu on his inside. I ain't worried about our ability to put their men on the deck in the middle of the field.

Plus Horne will probably defend there anyway

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I have a distinct feeling that Link may have thought this one through and will likely have an answer for that prospect..

Yeah, given every other player in the backline are bruising tacklers you wouldn't think it'd be that big a problem...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Foley's form has been excellent as well but I doubt he'd argue that Beale was predominantly the one calling the shots on attack for the Tahs.

In the final, pretty much all the key attacking plays and linebreaks were on the back of Beale's passing.

I've been thinking the same thing for a while. I was very unimpressed with Foley's organisation vs the French. Foley's organisation looked better with Beale on the field late vs the French when To'omua got subbed, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Interesting that some on The Roar are claiming that Foley is the best organiser of a backline in Australia, personally I tend to agree with BH that Beale has been the one calling the shots at the Tahs. Beale's organisation in previous years wasn't there, but I think this year he's been a lot better.

Interested to see how this one plays out, particularly seeing how Beale and Foley go without one another on the field. I think the two things people will be watching for Beale is squaring up the defence, and his defence, although the latter will be hard to judge as I expect him to be sweeping back often like a lot of modern 10s do.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Let them try, KB (Kurtley Beale) is going to have Matt To'omua on his outside and Cliff Palu on his inside. I ain't worried about our ability to put their men on the deck in the middle of the field.

Plus Horne will probably play there anyway

To'omua coming in to assist KB (Kurtley Beale) is just what you don't want. - a quick pass to the man outside, fucking big hole - try time. Prefer a couple of piggies doing the job

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If you really think that's why he was selected there in a game that may well decide our chances of both the Bledisloe and the RC this weekend, you probably think it was the CIA on the grassy knol and Harold Holt was picked up by a Russian submarine.

no, it was the Mafia and a shark..

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
To'omua coming in to assist KB (Kurtley Beale) is just what you don't want. - a quick pass to the man outside, fucking big hole - try time. Prefer a couple of piggies doing the job

I reckon one of the most important things about being a great defensive team is the ability to trust and rely on your teammates and the man next to you. Whether the help comes from outside backs or from the forwards, it's just a matter of time before you end up at least one man short somewhere.

In saying all of that, I have been saying for the longest time that I think Beale has the ability to be the best 10 in the world. Yep, the world. He actually worries me as an AB fan because he can do almost anything with the ball in hand. Personally, I would have had him play a full Super Rugby campaign (including pre-season etc) before putting him in at Test level but I've always said that KB (Kurtley Beale)'s head space is the only thing that stops him from being THAT good.

I mite send him a case of pretty-coloured alcohol on Fri... ;)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

The last time the national coached moved our 10 from defensive duties to 15 half this site was in an uproar. So if Izzy comes to the front line, will the other half care as much this time round?

Personally I would have preferred Foley there as I feel he creates more room for the guys outside of him. When you've got the likes of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Izzy who can run a bloody good line, you want to make sure your flyhalf draws his man rather than drifting across and stifling the attack.

Overall, Links rewarded form (Phipps could probably feel a bit pissed), so the guys who've struggled in the past at an international level to perform better deliver the goods.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If you really think that's why he was selected there in a game that may well decide our chances of both the Bledisloe and the RC this weekend, you probably think it was the CIA on the grassy knol and Harold Holt was picked up by a Russian submarine.

hawko - wasn't it a Chinese Sub ?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Who the hell is proposing Izzy move to defend at 10?
At the reds we used Lance up front for Quade because he was a great tackler and pretty slow/average counter attacker.
The tahs used Horne up front for Beale --> This is your best option probably isn't it?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Link has always been a fan of Beale at 10. He believes he would have won the Super title with the Tah's if Beale didn't go off when they played in Christchurch.

Also Foley wasn't that great against the French so best not to risk that against NZ.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The last time the national coached moved our 10 from defensive duties to 15 half this site was in an uproar. So if Izzy comes to the front line, will the other half care as much this time round?

Personally I would have preferred Foley there as I feel he creates more room for the guys outside of him. When you've got the likes of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Izzy who can run a bloody good line, you want to make sure your flyhalf draws his man rather than drifting across and stifling the attack.

Overall, Links rewarded form (Phipps could probably feel a bit pissed), so the guys who've struggled in the past at an international level to perform better deliver the goods.

I didn't say anything about moving him, I just said he would have an answer for it..I don't know what it is though, but it won't be Folau standing at 10..

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Love it, Beale @ 10 & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back in the 13 jersey sits well with me. Everyone talks about Beale being a bad defender but he's still better than Cruden & Barret so where already 1 up there. (wait for the AB fans to argue that)

That's a good line up when you think that the following players were unavailable for selection. Moore, TPN, Sio, Quade, Genia, Speight & I've probably forgotten someone.

Happy for Rob Horne I thought he was brilliant for the Tahs in the Semi final & Final.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Palu has had his best season since I can remember. When he comes to play he has the ability to lift other players around him - probably more so than other players. For us to win, Cliffy needs a huge game with big runs and blockbusting tackles.

Congrats to Nathan Charles, I'm sure he will do himself, the team and supporters, proud. Having said that I feel the loss of both Moore and TPN is huge. Nathan has some big big shoes / boots to fill on Saturday night, but I back the bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.