• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sio injured at training today, come on down Robbo.

How bad is Scott injured ????

TPN is a huge loss. Good scrummager, runner and tackler.

It is interesting to me that since the concussion laws have come in TPN doesn't get the same number of headknocks. he just gets on with his job and is a much better and effective player for his team, be the Tahs or the Wallabies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bledisloe Cups won by Australia
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002.

Australia won the Tri-Nations (now rugby championship)
2000, 2001, 2011.

An Australian team winning the Super Rugby
2001, 2004, 2011.

I think it's pretty self explanatory, that the Wallabies have a greater chance of winning the Bledisloe or Tri-Nations now the Tahs have won.

Below is the team who won the 2011 Tri Nations.

FB 15 Kurtley Beale
RW 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
OC 13 Pat McCabe
IC 12 Anthony Fainga'a - (Reds)
LW 11 Digby Ioane - (Reds)
FH 10 Quade Cooper - (Reds)
SH 9 Will Genia - (Reds)
N8 8 Radike Samo- (Reds)
RF 7 David Pocock
LF 6 Rocky Elsom
RL 5 James Horwill - (Reds)
LL 4 Dan Vickerman
TP 3 Ben Alexander
HK 2 Stephen Moore
LP 1 Sekope Kepu
Substitutes:
16 Saia Fainga'a - (Reds)
17 Salesi Ma'afu
18 Rob Simmons -(Reds)
19 Ben McCalman
20 Scott Higginbotham
21 Luke Burgess
22 Rob Horne

Below is the team who won the 2001 Tri Nations.

1. Nick Stiles
2. Michael Foley
3. Rod Moore
4. David Giffin - (Brumbies)
5. John Eales
6. Owen Finegan - (Brumbies)
7. George Smith - (Brumbies)
8. Toutai Kefu
9. George Gregan - (Brumbies)
10. Stephen Larkham - (Brumbies)
11. Joe Roff - (Brumbies)
12. Nathan Grey
13. Daniel Herbert
14. Chris Latham
15. Matt Burke

So, with looking at both teams you can see the similarities in combinations, specifically the back line. So, if history proves us right I would probably go with;

7. Hooper (C)
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Beale

Just something to think about. I'm not saying that team above (part of it) should be set in stone. But I think it is definitely something to consider.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well he's got a bit of time - hope its not serious.

Cowan or Robbo???? Cowan was no standout against the Frogs and Robbo has gone pretty well in the last few weeks. IMO Robbo would be the pick

You'd have to think Cowan is still ahead of him as he's already in the squad.

If they need to call someone up you'd expect it to be Robbo.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Carter injury is, apparently, not too serious. We will find out for sure tomorrow. Crockett also said he was "confident" his knee injury is not too serious. The ABs, potentially, have 3 loosehead props injured - Woodcock, Crockett and Joe Moody. In which case, Ben Franks would start.

My guess, regardless, the way Hansen selects, Carter might only be on the bench with the pressure being put on Cruden to kick on from his excellent performance in the final England test. Barrett would be left out.

The major debate in NZ is who fills the fullback spot -Dagg or Smith. You can guess from my avatar who I'd prefer.

M

Muttonbird

I'm hoping the strength of the NZ conference will tell in this match.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm hoping the strength of the NZ conference will tell in this match.

i have no doubt your hope will be realized. i am sure the strength of NZ's Super Rugby conference will be reflected very strongly indeed in the performances of your national team in the RC.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Carter injury is, apparently, not too serious. We will find out for sure tomorrow. Crockett also said he was "confident" his knee injury is not too serious. The ABs, potentially, have 3 loosehead props injured - Woodcock, Crockett and Joe Moody. In which case, Ben Franks would start.

My guess, regardless, the way Hansen selects, Carter might only be on the bench with the pressure being put on Cruden to kick on from his excellent performance in the final England test. Barrett would be left out.

The major debate in FrankLind's mind is who fills the fullback spot -Dagg or Smith. You can guess from my avatar who I'd prefer.

Fixed.....

Has Dagg ever been dropped by Hansen despite up and down form? No.

Look anything could happen but I'm hoping they stick with Dagg because right now there isn't a better right wing going around than Ben Smith. A lot more upside in terms of test match footy of Dagg and Smith than Smith and Jane/Piutau.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Fixed...

Has Dagg ever been dropped by Hansen despite up and down form? No.

Look anything could happen but I'm hoping they stick with Dagg because right now there isn't a better right wing going around than Ben Smith. A lot more upside in terms of test match footy of Dagg and Smith than Smith and Jane/Piutau.

I think and Smith, Piutau and Savea have more upside than Dagg, Smith and Savea.
What counts in Dagg's favor is Piutau's possible lack of match fitness.
And it is far more than me debating this.
Go look on the Fern.
There are plenty wanting Smith at FB.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
What I like about this Wallaby team is players like Fardy, Carter & Simmons they don't get much credit from the International media but they are highly rated amongst their peers they do the hard yards & have high a work rate similar to players like Giffen, Cockbain & Finegan who weren't highly rated by non aussies.
What to do with Beale has been a popular topic of discussion on here & I believe you play your best players from the start & should Beale should start @ 10 for Bledisloe 1 with To'omua @ 12.

My Wallaby 23 for Bledisloe 1
1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Beale
11. Horne or McCabe
12. To'omua
13. Kudriani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Res: Charles, Robinson, Ryan, Horwill, McCalman, Phipps, Foley, McCabe or Horne.

Horwill over Skelton: Horwill has been injury free of late with a point to prove, Skelton is still raw & his time will come I like him for the spring tour & Argies on the coast.

Hanson over Charles: I Like Charles but I'm a massive fan of Hanson I think he is the complete package he scrums well, good throw & brilliant around the park.

Beale over Foley: I like Foley I really rate him but let's face it he's not Kurtley Beale. I know Foley is probably our #1 goal kicker ATM but Kurtley Beale puts fear into oppositions defences just like Folau does & those players attract attention which creates opportunity.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've said on these pages before that I don't like KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10. He works better when he's in a position where he can look to what's on for himself. That is, look up, spot a gap, an angle or a weakness in the defence and hit the jets to exploit it. He doesn't generally look to pass the ball as his first instinct. Foley and Cooper do and that's why they are better 10's IMHO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Foley should retain the 10 jersey but I think Beale has been most crucial to the Tahs attack this season.

His passing game in the final was brilliant. He seems to call the shots in attack more than Foley in general play.

Status
Not open for further replies.