• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You guys are comparing the wrong players. It's Palu/Kaino and Read/Fardy.

Had a think about this and yep - he'd be worth 1-and-a-half Palu's as well...just my opinion. But is there anything that Palu brings that Kaino doesn't but even better?

Hooper v McCaw. This is going to be a great battle. McCaw is stronger, smarter and has shit-loads more experience BUT Hooper's speed, youth and growing nous can't be sniffed at.

To'omua v Nonu. Nonu wins this every day of the week. He's really turned into the complete package who can run, break tackles, pass long and short, kick, defend - has the risk of making silly mistakes but with 90+ Tests under his belt, I can't see how anyone can pick To'omua over Nonu.

Props - this will be interesting. Wallabies may have the edge here so the loss of Faumuina and Woodcock are pretty big for us.

Wings - has to be NZ. Natural wingers over guys who have been picked more for tackling than anything. Savea is the best winger in the world right now....I'd put him up over either McCabe or Horne without hesitation. Jane had one poor Test against England...that's his bad one for the year done.

I'm always a bit nervous before Wallaby Tests because they can surprise us (we usually know what we're gonna get with SA so it's a different nervous if that makes any sense?!?) but I'm confident the All Blacks have got this.

To me, game will be won or lost for the ABs in the top 2inches. Any complacency, arrogance or willingness to not respect the Wallabies properly will be a big mistake - I'm sure Hansen has it covered though.

All Blacks by 8

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To'omua v Nonu. Nonu wins this every day of the week. He's really turned into the complete package who can run, break tackles, pass long and short, kick, defend - has the risk of making silly mistakes but with 90+ Tests under his belt, I can't see how anyone can pick To'omua over Nonu.

It is Nonu's mistake rate under pressure that will be interesting.

To me, he plays better when he follows and doesn't lead. He seems to try too hard to make things happen at times when he "leads" with passes and kicks ending up in the grand stand and him missing tackles when he shoots out on the line.

So with Smith outside him, great player, as the most experienced back?

It will be interesting

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It is Nonu's mistake rate under pressure that will be interesting.

To me, he plays better when he follows and doesn't lead. He seems to try too hard to make things happen at times when he "leads" with passes and kicks ending up in the grand stand and him missing tackles when he shoots out on the line.

So with Smith outside him, great player, as the most experienced back?

It will be interesting

Indeed........

Nonu is a great player, but not exactly the smartest guy on the field........

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Nonu and Fekitoa are an intimidating combination. Can't wait to see young Malakai and Manu Tuilagi bash heads together in the coming years.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I agree that Beale and To'omua will certainly shift between first and second receiver during the game. Particularly I think To'omua will handle a fair amount of the clearing kicks from our 22.

I think the suggestion that To'omua and Beale will actually line up at 10 and 12 and the selection announced is just a bluff is way off though.

Braveheart, I think we may have already reached the point in Australian rugby where there's no longer such a thing as lining up at 10 and 12: the positions are fluidly interchangable, depending on circumstances. That's certainly the case at the Tahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Forecast for tomorrow, if you are going, wear your wet weather gear

Saturday 16 August
Summary: Min 10 Max 18
A few showers increasing to rain.
Sydney area
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog in the west early in the morning. A shower or two developing from midday, increasing to rain in the late afternoon. Light winds tending northeasterly up to 20km/h in the afternoon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking at the more detailed rainfall forecast, they're expecting between 5 and 10mm tomorrow so it shouldn't be torrential.

Let's hope it is even less than expected.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
its OK, the rain won't get to Sydney till after the game..you will be able to caress your victory hangovers with a rainy couch day on Sunday

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If Ewen has to move a lock to 6 at short notice I'd expect him to put Simmons there, given he has in the past

am hoping we don't have to find out but you may well be right and I do remember that now..however, the alternative on that occassion was probably Horwill.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
am hoping we don't have to find out but you may well be right and I do remember that now..however, the alternative on that occassion was probably Horwill.
Simmons actually did well there against Italy and the scrum was rock solid with him holding his side up. That said if it comes to down to it the best option is probably the one TWAS put forward of Skelton at eight, assuming they have at least tried it out in training. Either way it's relatively unlikely situation.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can anyone else not stand Brendan Cannons commentary in the media. He has had some shit things to say over the years post playing. The Link picking Beale due to league being the most recent.

Status
Not open for further replies.