• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Look, before anyone says it, it's not anti-White, it was just a process of trying to critically analyse a player in a match.
As I have said repeatedly, I think both have problems at times, and Phipps had some big flaws in the past with his delivery. But it is hard to argue now that he is erratic, passes badly and is error-prone.

Nice breakdown of his game, cyclo.

Phipps is suffering from the period (mainly at the Rebels) where his passing, kicking and general decision making were, to be frank, ordinary at best. The fact he has now stepped up has become a bridge too far for some to see clearly.

I personally was quite relieved when he went to the Tahs and we got Burgo, but in saying that, the way Phipps has developed and come along as a Super Rugby winning and Test-quality scrummie, is quite remarkable.

He is, in fact, now one of the better Wallabies we have.

And I am fucking delighted. He is a top-shelf bloke and has worked his arse off to be successful.

I'd be looking at other parts of the Wallabies squad before I would even think about putting the boot into Phipps.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm of the same view Daz. I had significant reservations about Phipps capabilities at test level, but he's clearly knuckled down and worked on the things that needed sorting out and he's a much better player as a result. That quick ball is mandatory in the Wallaby set up and he's currently the only one delivering it.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Like the game that Phipps closed out on Saturday, you mean?

Like how you see the glass half full, spose you'd need that considering the wobs were given a leg up by officiating. ;) and still the game hung in the balance. The goal of gaining the No.2 ranking of world rugby by Capt Hoops prior to the game sums up the head space of the Wobs camp #2ndbest

T

Train Without a Station

For me, its amazing that Simmons has had the amount of caps for the Wallabies that he has. I personally wouldn't even have him in the Waratahs 23 nor would I have him in the Rebels or Brumbies 15 95% of the time, yet somehow he is one of the two 2nd rowers chosen to play for Australia.

Carter's not much better may I add. If any player from any international side looks at our lineup and is intimidated by the presence of their names, I'll eat my hat. I understand that they are seen to get through a lot of work, but I'd prefer for my 2nd rowers to have an actual impact upon the game as well. They're supposed to be the biggest blokes on the field, yet you wouldn't know it from the way those two go into contact.

Give Horwill or Fardy another shot, bring back Kane Douglas and whack Skelton or Jones on the bench. We need Eben Etzebeth-like physcos in our tight five and at the end of the day, neither Simmons nor Carter have the required mongrel.

No mate. Carter isn't "not much better". He's no better. Or worse in fact.

The reason Simmons is there is because he is a better line out operator than all other locks in Australia and gets through a shit tonne or work every game. I in fact despised the bloke when he debuted for the Reds and lament the fact that I'm not his body shape as I could surely be a Wallaby if I was. But the fact of the matter is he serves a purpose.

Kane Douglas was our first choice last year against the Lions and was shocking. His line out work is poor for a lock and whilst has great impacts in a game, doesn't do the amount of work required. In addition he plays a different role to Simmons.

Skelton is a line out non-entity and the scrum being under pressure has followed his presence at time. In addition he doesn't get through a lot of work. Simmons isn't picked to be Eben Estebeth, Sam Carter is. Look at the good second row combinations and understand the roles required before you comment. Then direct your comments correctly. Something like the fact he gave away 4 penalties and we lost 2 line outs is shocking. Simmons needs to dominate the air and not make stupid decisions that cost us fucking tries like the one on Saturday.

Perhaps Horwill is an option over Rob. Sam Carter right now is a bigger liability as a player though and a more major concern to replace. The even bigger concern is that if it's Horwill over Simmons, who (that hasn't been able to in Super Rugby all year) is going to fill Carter's role.

Interestingly we were all worried about the lack of depth to replace Simmons but Horwill's set piece has improved dramatically in 2014 giving us 2 proven test players there (Horwill based on his career and Simmons based on 2013) which will keep them both honest because only one can get picked and it's now the other lock position that is a concern after Carter has really struggled 2 tests in a row.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I would like to know how many lineouts Simmons called to himself.
Plus how many he called to himself when Carter or Fardy/Palu were relatively unmarked.
Was Simmons smart with his calling ( keep it away from Matfield and keep it simple for Hanson).
There was a short lineout that looked like suicide I seem to recall.

T

Train Without a Station

It was a disappointing line out performance. I'd love to know what the training actually went through and be a fly on the wall to the discussions. Simmons has been primarily calling to himself this year. Seems pretty fucking stupid to me and everybody else. Is that his decision making? Is that what he is being told/advised to do by the coaching staff?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
In the clear light of day this is my view on Saturday.

1. Clancy screwed up and deserves to lose his job.

2. The boks did not lose because of the yellow card or because of Steyn not finding touch and you guys scoring to take the match. They lost because they were camped in your half for 30 minutes in the second half and could not put the game away. I'll say it again. Our coaching is to blame. We do not spend enough time and effort on creative attack. It was too one dimensional. The players have the skills. They are not being coached to improve and use them. Our coaches plan and coach to not lose and that's what our players do on the field.

3. If I were a Wob fan I would take some heart from this but I would have serious concerns. At home after a big defeat when you should really be lifting and you all but lost against a team that has been pretty poor lately. You got outplayed for at least an hour of the game in all facets. What now?

4. We are going to get the arse handed to us by the ABs. We will huff and puff and push them but will not have enough points in us.

5. As much as I admire the All Blacks I have had enough of them. Aus and SA are trying to close the gaps but were are collectively at a total loss. I watch the ITM cup and I have to say I think they will to a large extent maintain this level in the coming years. The depth is stupid. What are we going to do?

Thank god the NFL has started.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Haven't the time to go through the whole thread so apologies if I am repeating what everyone else has been saying.

1. We won! Obvious but 12 months ago we would have lost that one (which we did coincidently). Either we have progressed or South Africa have regressed.
2. We fell into old habits of starting well and scoring a try early before going to sleep (as opposed to our other old habit of starting very slowly and not waking up until the match was about gone).
3. Watching the game I thought that again it was a lack of attention to the basic skills which was letting us down - dropped catches, poor body height, poor support play, stupid penalties, etc.
4. Urgency again was lacking, we only got urgent in the last 10 minutes when a loss looked likely - we need that urgency for 80 minutes if we are to ever regain the Bledisloe.
5. Good impact from our bench but why were they left so late before being called upon?
6. The forwards bread-and-butter let us down badly again at times. If Link doesn't have faith in Cowan (he left Slipper on for far too long after his injury) then he needs to find someone else, perhaps even take a leaf out of Bob Dwyer's book and pluck a bloke from obscurity he shows that he has the ability to be what we need prior to the next world cup - and play that person. It is a 22 man game nowadays and a coach not using his bench effectively is poor game management.
7. We need to have all our players (forwards as well as they take kick-offs) spend time with AFL / NRL squads practising catching the high ball as too often we are dropping the high ball, which leads the opposition to try it on more. Eliminate this poor aspect of play from our game to force opposing teams to research new tactics against us.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bok chicken runners Steyn and Habana cost us this test. Hell our local players would have put the Wallabies away with ease. They were clueless in the lineouts and forward play. At the moment our CC rugby is much more interesting to watch then anything Meyer and his chciken running team can offer. Pumas beating the Cheetahs and Griquas beating the Sharks away, cant get better then this.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
For all the self flagellation (as I was doing watching live), now I look back on it and actually reckon we did better than the 1 point.

The Boks took every chance they got. Pienaar's drop after that break still had some chicken left on that bone, whereas AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cowan were both over the line and Foley missed from dead in front.

I think we might be catastrophising a bit

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bok chicken runners Steyn and Habana cost us this test. Hell our local players would have put the Wallabies away with ease. They were clueless in the lineouts and forward play. At the moment our CC rugby is much more interesting to watch then anything Meyer and his chciken running team can offer. Pumas beating the Cheetahs and Griquas beating the Sharks away, cant get better then this.

Whilst I don't think Meyer is picking his best possible team, I don't agree with that Paarl. The concept that a team picked that doesn't include the Du Plessis brothers, Vermuelen, De Villiers et al would put the Wallabies (even with some blokes unavailable) away with ease is, with respect, laughable. No way of knowing this of course, but I'd comfortably take that bet. That doesn't mean that there aren't better options available though and if that's the thrust of your argument then I agree with you.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Those guys are local players.. I believe he's referring to Pienaar, Steyn, Habana, Louw

I watched the match again and apart from the lineout Matfield was poor, he surely won't be going to the WC?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Those guys are local players.. I believe he's referring to Pienaar, Steyn, Habana, Louw

I watched the match again and apart from the lineout Matfield was poor, he surely won't be going to the WC?

In four out of five cases, I totally agree -- those guys surely aren't the best available. Louw I do rate though.

At halfback though: who else is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.