• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If the allegation is true and that is a big IF, whoever responsible has breached a duty of care surely. Not just any injury, we are talking about a mans neck and the consequences could be very severe.

This is more a matter of due diligence than hindsight.
Politely, I'll say "rubbish", with respect to failed duty of care. A fracture heals, and he would not be cleared to play on a whim. Injuries can recur - that happens. The neurosurgeon (most likely) involved would be the least likely to clear someone unless they were completely satisfied, and I highly doubt any other medico, coach or otherwise would go against that advice and allow McCabe to play.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Considering what "Saint" Keven & Umaga did to O'Driscoll previously, I'd be little more civil if I were you. If you consider Horwill's incident filth, I'd be curious to know what you consider that spear tackle to be classed as? Pull your head in.
Perhaps the Wallabies management should pull out the "if Kevvy says he didn't do it, he didn't do it!" defence that has been used successfully (somehow?!) in recent history! ;)

Edit - I think he actually ended up getting some sort of ban from that incident, so maybe it's not the best defence.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
Considering a playmaker 12 was the lynchpin of the team, it is a bit (super) retarded that they didnt have a backup if he got injured.

We saw a crab (good player not a ballplayer) go into 12 and it stifled the entire attack. JO'C was struggling but that is fair enough as he had absolutely nothing to work with.

I personally would have liked to have seen either Taps or preferably Kyle Godwin on the bench instead of McCabe. Who cares whether he is a rookie. Our entire attack was based on a collection of rookies anyway.

I disagree with your assessment of JOC (James O'Connor). While losing his starting 12 would definitely have had an effect, that effect would have been on the outside backs. If anything JOC (James O'Connor) should have been receiving the ball more than he would have otherwise as he becomes the sole playmaker. However, I can count on my hands the number of times that JOC (James O'Connor) received the ball at first receiver. And most of the times he did he simply took a hit up. Your 5/8 needs to be the default option, with other players only taking the ball at first receiver for a forward hit up or for blind side play. JOC (James O'Connor) was completely missing for most of the game and this ill-fated experiment needs to end before it loses us the series. My backline for the second test (injury dependent) would be 9. Genia 10. Beale 11. O'Connor 12. Lilo 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14. Cummins 15. Folau.

doleq

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cracking test match. Can't wait for the square up on Saturday.

Puzzled as to why Barned wasn't goal kicking in the first half? I would have thought it was half the reason he was in the side.
His kicking in general play was ordinary and Beale to start next week.

Mowen was excellent, along with Izzy, Will and Moore. Horwill will be missed next week - did he take every lineout bar the one over the back.

Thought O'Connell was lucky not to see yellow and miss the last ten. Pretty cynical killing of the ball after KB (Kurtley Beale) break.
As for Lions' hate figure - George North. Hopefully the finger waggling bullshit will come back to haunt him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I sincerely hope not. Fainga'a has no pace or ball skills - cant believe anyone would seriously pick him.

No pace? Agree.

Wow. No ball skills, though. I would say that A. Finger has more ball skills than Horne (who has a habit of throwing horribly loopy passes), McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). He used to be a 12 who played 10 at times in club rugby. Obviously you haven't watched him over the years. His passing hasn't been great this year, though, but in previous years he had a good knack for throwing the last pass for a try.

I wouldn't pick A. Finger because he's not dynamic enough, and his defence hasn't been as good this year.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Considering what "Saint" Keven & Umaga did to O'Driscoll previously, I'd be little more civil if I were you. If you consider Horwill's incident filth, I'd be curious to know what you consider that spear tackle to be classed as? Pull your head in.

This is the same O'Driscoll that recently received a three week suspension for stomping then? Rugby is full of these incidents unfortunately-lets just wait and see what the judiciary does or doesn't serve up.

Oh Kev and Umaga were cleared by an independent citing commissioner-maybe Horwill will too? In the hands of the rugby gods.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I suppose you want Godwin? Taps hasn't been in great form of late but he has test match experience, which counts for a lot.
I mentioned Godwin last night. However I think he should come into the squad at least. Doesn't have to be in the 23 but deserves to be in the quad hands down on form. I don't think he is any way near ready to start against the lions. Lol

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
As gutted as I am, I'd just like to add that this was the single best match of rugby I've ever attended. Brilliant game of course, but the fans of both sides were wonderful, making the atmosphere absolutely electric. The Lions fans were loud, proud and a lot of fun, but I'm really happy about the Wallabies supporters efforts too - we can often be a tad quiet but wasn't the case at all last night. All of this in conjunction lead to what was almost the perfect night!

Also, credit to the many Lions fans who shook my hand and gave genuine appreciation and commiserations to the great Wallabies effort - a wonderful example of sportsmanship.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I mentioned Godwin last night. However I think he should come into the squad at least. Doesn't have to be in the 23 but deserves to be in the quad hands down on form. I don't think he is any way near ready to start against the lions. Lol

He shouldn't, and he can't because he's not available.........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Didn't he just have shoulder surgery?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
He shouldn't, and he can't because he's not available...
Surgery. But too say he shouldn't is retarded. He had had a better year then most Australian centers. Minus lilo. He has been brilliant and thats saying something considering The teams performance. Other Aussie centers have had brilliant 10's and outside backs around them and have not shown the goods at all.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Some other stats:

Lions made 5 linebreaks(Corbisiero, Phillips, North, Davies, Cuthbert) to 3 (Genia, Folau, Beale).

Genia 3 kicks (209m), JOC (James O'Connor) 1 kick (41m), Barnes 3 kicks (103m), Beale 3 kicks (121m).

Phillips 5 kicks (167m), Sexton 11 kicks (291m), Davies 2 kicks (98m), Youngs 1 kick (32m).

Horwill 4 turnovers, Benn Robinson 2 turnovers. Wallabies: 11 turnovers.

Heaslip 2 turnovers, Cuthbert 2 turnovers. Lions: 6 turnovers.

Would love to see the kick/pass/run stats.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It was a difficult night for James," Deans said. "Obviously the disruption didn't help. But I guess he was at the heart of working our way into a positon to win the game, so you have probably got to give him credit for that, in the circumstance

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...er/story-e6frf55l-1226668205734#ixzz2WzIgy0o4

All this talk about Quade may be academic. Based in this quote i am not sure Deans actually comprehended what happened on the field.

He really doesn't like backing up his players, does he?! I am starting to understand the Cooper 'toxic' comment!

'I guess he was at the heart'
'You have probably got to give him credit'

What sort of language is that when you are supposed to support your players?

Status
Not open for further replies.