• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Genuine curiosity, Iiwii. What do suggest the referee could have done about it?
If the referee can notice repeat infringements such as at the scrum, breakdown and offside line as Joubert does, he can certainly notice that the game he is controlling comes to a screaming halt with repeated delays of game by the same team. I'm not sure of the specific rule but there is a rule about 'playing in the spirit of rugby' and Joubert could have used it to good effect.
It would certainly have helped if Horwill would have expressed his concerns to make it more obvious and not leave it just to the ref to act.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Absolutely if we were playing the All blacks they would have put 30 points on us, not taking anything away from your team but. NZ would have been far more clinical, with our limited game plan would have been easy for them, at least you were able to change your game,

I really hate when people trot out the old "If we were playing the All Blacks.. (insert analogy for embarrassing defeat)" The All Blacks aren't gods. This test series has been played with huge intensity and whilst both teams could have been more clinical (particularly Australia) the idea that the All Blacks would have just walked over these teams is insulting.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
On the Davies V AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) debate, I'd say that it was always a hard ask for Davies to tackle him given the pace with which JOC (James O'Connor) moved the ball always had AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the outside shoulder and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was moving at pace only a couple of metres out. He was always going over. Perfect pass from JOC (James O'Connor) in this instance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If the referee can notice repeat infringements such as at the scrum, breakdown and offside line as Joubert does, he can certainly notice that the game he is controlling comes to a screaming halt with repeated delays of game by the same team. I'm not sure of the specific rule but there is a rule about 'playing in the spirit of rugby' and Joubert could have used it to good effect.
It would certainly have helped if Horwill would have expressed his concerns to make it more obvious and not leave it just to the ref to act.

I am very sympathetic to this complaint but it is so much a part of the game that it really must be adressed at a higher level - if the IRB wants to get down and dirty (Horwill recharge) they could do worse than use some lateral thinking to solve this problem.
The time the goal kickers take is another thing they should look at.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah but the picture doesn't tell the story sully. Davies was sucked in by JOC (James O'Connor) and that's why he ended up jersey grabbing, which given AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hit the ball at pace 5m out, was zero chance of stoping him. The video shows it better, Davies is only watching JOC (James O'Connor). Don't forget also that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had tomane unmarked outside him because Davies got sucked in and the lions 14 was in two minds as to whether to cover AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or not.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought JOC (James O'Connor) put enough doubt into Davies mind to have him probably a step or two out of position to be able to cover AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) effectively. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) ran a good line but had enough head of steam that if Davies didn't have his body in position to put the shoulder in, he wasn't going to be stopped b a jumper pull.

All in all it was a relatively easy try but under the circumstances and the moment of the game and the fact that there had been no tries for 70 plus minutes, and more leather had been dropped than a shoe factory, it was a very good try.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 8.02.53 PM.png
Its actually BOD who tackles JOC (James O'Connor) so Davies lack of faith is unjustifiable
It was well run.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I seen AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) score this same try many times but this is the first time anyone has given the credit to the bloke passing him the ball. He's a great gap runner and great in traffic. Somehow you guys want to suddenly give someone else the credit for his play. On top of that your ignoring the 14 phases before the pass and giving the credit to one guy. It was a great team try.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why do we care what the fuck is working 'over the ditch'?

We need to pick a team that plays to our strengths. Which at the moment is creativity in attack. Lilo and KB (Kurtley Beale) can come into the line from time to time and take the pressure off JOC (James O'Connor), as well as keep the oppo backline guessing about where the ball is going.

Last night was the first hitout with this 9-10-12-15 combo, and I thought it showed some good signs (we beat the Lions FFS!). With more time I can see it becoming a real force.

But do you think there are better options than JOC (James O'Connor)?

Are you really happy that we are using a Lions series for him to grow into the role?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
here is a picture of Davies being 'lucky to even get his hands on him'View attachment 3861
What your pic doesn't show is how close to the try line AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is by the time Davies is lucky to get his hands on him. If you watch the video, he's about 2 metres out - he basically falls over and gets the try.

Inside Shoulder - you're 100% correct in saying that he didn't trust Sexton BOD to make his tackle. But that's almost irrelevant. If anything, it backs up the point that JOC (James O'Connor)'s running game had been strong enough up to that point that it put that doubt in Davies' mind. Davies doesn't commit to tackling JOC (James O'Connor) but he also doesn't commit to tackling AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) until it's too late - that is a draw. And the pass was timed perfectly as he didn't give it until Davies was too committed to being in-between JOC (James O'Connor) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that his attempt at a tackle was far too late and ineffectual.

Geez.....watch the video. Honestly, I really don't know why I have to explain this shit and break it down like this.......

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Inside Shoulder - you're 100% correct in saying that he didn't trust Sexton BOD to make his tackle. But that's almost irrelevant. If anything, it backs up the point that JOC (James O'Connor)'s running game had been strong enough up to that point that it put that doubt in Davies' mind. Davies doesn't commit to tackling JOC (James O'Connor) but he also doesn't commit to tackling AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) until it's too late - that is a draw. And the pass was timed perfectly as he didn't give it until Davies was too committed to being in-between JOC (James O'Connor) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that his attempt at a tackle was far too late and ineffectual.

Geez...watch the video. Honestly, I really don't know why I have to explain this shit and break it down like this...

I think JOC (James O'Connor) did a workmanlike job and he got this job done.
I wouldn't attribute Davies indecision to prior great running by JOC (James O'Connor): i simply cannot recall any - I may be wrong.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I seen AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) score this same try many times but this is the first time anyone has given the credit to the bloke passing him the ball. He's a great gap runner and great in traffic. Somehow you guys want to suddenly give someone else the credit for his play. On top of that your ignoring the 14 phases before the pass and giving the credit to one guy. It was a great team try.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was great. No-one has said otherwise. It's not like someone has said something like 'AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) never runs good line and can't finish'.

It almost like you want to give every other Wallaby on the paddock credit except O'Conner who was the one who created that space and gave the pass for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to finish. If O'Conner hadn't drawn Davies, there is no try. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets the pass 2-6 metres out from the line and Davies doesn't get to him until he's 2 metres out. Why is that? Because of JOC (James O'Connor).

Status
Not open for further replies.