• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
have a look at the black line that someone else has put on the pic which probably takes into account the angle better than mine - still onside. If you cant see the WHITE ball in Genias hands with the action of passing, then there is no hope. Either Genia has his hands on the ball ie the ball is out or he is handling in the ruck ie penalty to Lions, he doesnt have his hands on the ball and is dummying which became illegal back in the mid 90s and penalty to Lions, or he actually has his hands on the ball (which he does) and is the motion of passing (which he is) and would have had his hands on the ball for a split second previously to pick the ball up (which he did) and Lydiate is STILL behind the line. Therefore, onside, wrong decision. Even the most golden eyed wallaby supporter can see that, and I am an Aussie!!!

I'd rather move on look forward to the next test. The Lions were poor in Melbourne, and had to play against 16 men in Bris Vegas (http://youtu.be/oK7nEzVX4T8) - lets hope the ref on Sat applies the rules!!!

You are clutching at straws if one dubious penalty is your reasoning for the referee having a terrible game.

Live and to the naked eye it appeared as though Lydiate was well offside because he was so far in front of the rest of the defensive line. When the entire Lions tour has featured a defensive line that moves up incredibly fast this is going to be cause for any referee to think that the player was offside.

Casper

Bob McCowan (2)
You are clutching at straws if one dubious penalty is your reasoning for the referee having a terrible game.

Live and to the naked eye it appeared as though Lydiate was well offside because he was so far in front of the rest of the defensive line. When the entire Lions tour has featured a defensive line that moves up incredibly fast this is going to be cause for any referee to think that the player was offside.

feel free to have a look at the match again mate. Not clutching at straws - lions played poorly, but test matches are won on critical decisions that involve centimetres - an quite clearly joubert got this one (as many others in the 2nd half) incorrect. Aus deserved to win as Lions showed no go-forward. Bu the refs have been poor in the test matches to date - Pollock was disgraceful in the 1st test - feel free to look at the video in the link from this site. But try to watch without the tinted glasses!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
And what about Farrell's "reckless" stamping that took Ben Lucas's ear off during the Reds game? Shall we have the IRB look at that one as well?

Farrell probably should have been cited.

17.7.1 For each Match the Host Union shall, subject to Regulation 17.6.1 and

17.6.7 above, appoint the following personnel and disciplinary bodies:

(a) An Independent Citing Commissioner

The Citing Commissioner shall be from a neutral country, unless the

participating Unions agree otherwise. The person appointed as

Citing Commissioner should have appropriate Rugby experience.

Again, no IRB intervention. The ARU appoint the Citing Commissioner for each match. I haven't looked throughly for it but I'm not sure that the IRB are allowed themslves to cite a player.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's pretty hilarious that within Aus the fireman's lift tackle between North and Izzy is generally considered to be a silly looking tackle where the ball carrier gained a decent (though not overly impressive) 4 or 5m post contact.

In Britain on the other hand, you'd think it was the famous Jonah Lomu over the top of the FB run.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Either Genia has his hands on the ball ie the ball is out or he is handling in the ruck ie penalty to Lions

Hands on the ball does not mean that the ball is out nor is it hands in the ruck. Essentially, the rule of thumb that Refs use is, a ball is out when "a bird can shit on it". From the screenshot it isn't clear whether the ball is clear of the legs. Another few milliseconds and Lydiate is well off side.

This to me is a better indication of the ball actually being out and the position of Lydiate;
2z6v975.jpg

You can see the ball is clear of the ruck, Lydiate is well in front of the last feet and was correctly penalised.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Essentially, the rule of thumb that Refs use is, a ball is out when "a bird can shit on it."

I never got this saying. It's nice and easy to explain to juniors but to the letter of the law, it's not correct.

Perhaps a better saying is "if a bird could shit of it with no risk of splash".

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why? Is that because he's a number 8 or because he's Tongan?

Surely he's there to do what he's doing which is a truckload of work in tight which is exactly what he's doing. He has high ruck involvement and plenty of carries.

He's not a Fotu Auelua style player whose aim is to smash people with the odd tackle and big run with a full head of steam rather than more constant lower impact involvement.

I suppose maybe I've got him all wrong. As I've said earlier, I will keep a closer eye on him after the 3rd test (Not at the game as I will be too busy cheering) but in the reply and reserve judgement.

But if above he is there for ruck involvements and carries in tight I think Kilmen's been working harder and doing it better. Although Noodles has tit for hands..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why? Is that because he's a number 8 or because he's Tongan?

Surely he's there to do what he's doing which is a truckload of work in tight which is exactly what he's doing. He has high ruck involvement and plenty of carries.

He's not a Fotu Auelua style player whose aim is to smash people with the odd tackle and big run with a full head of steam rather than more constant lower impact involvement.
And no it wasn't because his Togan it's because I believe if you pick him for what you did above then he falls behind other players.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Palu's a funny one.

We can argue about him until the cows come home, but his statistics are ALWAYS excellent. He's consistently 1st into rucks, consistently gets tough metres, makes tackles, and (here's the big one) he doesn't make errors. Fans generally don't rate him because he used to be all impact but nowadays his game is more subtle.

You can argue rugby isn't all stats, and it isn't, but there's video evidence to support it too. If you slow down a ruck you'll often notice he'll start 3rd Wallaby away from the ruck and still be the 1st person to get there. It's actually uncanny.

Moral of the story, he's better than he looks.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think it's because in part, as a younger player, he WAS that smash kind of guy on attack and defence.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

madflyhalf

Stan Wickham (3)
THE STEAL

3s8.gif

The match finished there IMO.
You came, you tried, you failed. BOOM!

I didn't mind of those remaining 3 minutes, I was sure the match was already over.

Reactions: Tex

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You probably need to see this skit first to better understand the setup. It happens much earlier in the move that the one above.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
That has to be one of the saddest things I have read in a long time. Do yourself a favour, go and watch monty python and the holy grail. If you are unsure what exactly the movie is, daz will be more than happy to help you out!

Status
Not open for further replies.