• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs. England, Twickenham, 2nd November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To me the interesting selection will be Horwill.

Is under immense pressure to perform not just well but excellantly.

Does Link do a "Genia" now or does he get another tilt. If so, and I hope he does then I reckon a huge game will be on the cards.

Go the Wallabies - by 9

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They ended up breaking the precedent again this year anyway with both GS and Burgess. Furthermore at the time they were operating in a rapidly changing player market, and failed to manage the situation well.

The NZRU found ways to adapt and get the best team together. Our blokes shrugged their shoulders and gave themselves another bonus.

Incompetentance.

I guess the different was GS and Burgeo this year were 'happy' coincidences (one from Poey's injury and the other from Toulouse life just not working out). No exceptions were premeditated.

I agree though, fair exceptions should be made. For example, if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Moore want a sabbatical they deserve it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
England have named the 23 for the Test but not the actual team list. My guess:

13. Joel Tomkins

Really? Good on him for actually making a fist of our game.

The last I read of him was in 2011 when Saracens picked up the less talented (but still talented) Tomkins brother from rugby league and now this?

Can we (rugby) sign the other one? Is the other one still good? He certainly we electrifying (though not in his Babas game).

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Really? Good on him for actually making a fist of our game.

The last I read of him was in 2011 when Saracens picked up the less talented (but still talented) Tomkins brother from rugby league and now this?

Can we (rugby) sign the other one? Is the other one still good? He certainly we electrifying (though not in his Babas game).
He played for England on the weekend on the RLWC and he is prob the biggest thing in English Rugby League and was one of the Poms best against the Kangaroos.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I guess the different was GS and Burgeo this year were 'happy' coincidences (one from Poey's injury and the other from Toulouse life just not working out). No exceptions were premeditated.

I agree though, fair exceptions should be made. For example, if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Moore want a sabbatical they deserve it.

Yeah in my eyes once you've played about 75 tests you should be able to take the easy money in japan during the off season if you want it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah in my eyes once you've played about 75 tests you should be able to take the easy money in japan during the off season if you want it.

But then you enter the argument of what playing that much footy does to your body. Particularly a 75 test veteran.

He played for England on the weekend on the RLWC and he is prob the biggest thing in English Rugby League and was one of the Poms best against the Kangaroos.

Google has informed me he has just signed a 3 year deal with the Warriors in the NRL. That's a shame.

He'll be 26 or so by the time the contracts ends and with the 2 years or so it takes most people to get good at rugby he's lost to our game at international level (could still make money in France or Japan though).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The games this year (and next) against England and Wales are really important to our World Cup hopes. If we could get wins against both this year it would give us a good mental edge going into the WC.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wobs by 15.

We are in the up at the end of a very difficult season.

Soapies are just starting for 2013/14 and are still in pre-season mode. Easy.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Had a look at Centrebet before. The favoured option for number of Wallabies wins on tour is 2. So obviously many are expecting England, Ireland and Wales to be too strong for us.

Think I'll put something on the 5 wins at $17 instead.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, the Irish squad that will be coming in under a brand new coach after having their own 'Deans era' riding on a single test against Samoa as a squad..not exactly sure where the guys at Centrebet are getting their figures for there.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Any fellow ex-pats living in the US know if we have any coverage of EOYT games. I have been searching all the usual channels and can't see anything. Are we really back to the old "live streaming" option online?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Simmons out.........

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/simmons-ruled-out-of-wallabies-test-20131031-2wi0g.html

Now, I was under the impression that Mowen had been calling the lineouts all year?

He was definitely running them under Deans during the Lions' series, and appeared to continue doing so under Link..........

So, this line is bamboozling:

Horwill, who was replaced by Timani midway through the second half in Dunedin, is now expected to share the calling duties with Ben Mowen.

However, that might also just be lazy journalism from Jim Morton, as Georgina Robinson states:

It is also far from ideal for the Wallabies, who will now rely solely on No.8 Ben Mowen to call the lineout with Horwill and Douglas as back-up.

Now that seems to indicate that Mowen and Simmons share the role, or that Simmons was the backup (obviously).........

I hardly see how having the best lineout operator in the country take sole control of the lineout is worrying, unless of course he's off the field like in Bled II when the lineout disintegrated (under Simmons' watch).........

It's only worrying if there's any truth in the idea that Horwill, who has never run a lineout, somehow needs to offer assistance.........

Status
Not open for further replies.