• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs. England, Twickenham, 2nd November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So if I was the AR for the Wallabies test, from that angle and at that speed I think I would have called play on as well. It is a very close call and the way Brown does it makes him look in the field of play.

Of all the things to criticize the refs for, people are choosing this extremely borderline case that could go either way as some kind of 'good example of poor officiating'. Some of the commentators doing this should know better that's for sure.

I disagree with this in the situation we're talking about because Brown's feet were firmly planted on the ground on the touchline for some period of time.

His feet never moved whilst he was preparing to catch the ball. He was standing on the touchline the entire time.

The assistant referee was also in a perfect position (as he should have been from a penalty kick) to look where Brown's feet were.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Haha, I'm not even sure what AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is even really trying to say, but then none of the wallabies are blessed with elite verbal skills. Genia is pretty funny to listen to because of the amount of cliches he dishes out - I think he has a sports phrase book in his duffle bag he must consult prior to any match on the off chance he has to speak to anyone afterwards.

It would be nice for a bit if these guys just shut up for a bit and concentrated on playing though.

Some of it is coming off as a bit disingenuous.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I always thought Genia had a bet with someone to insert certain phrases into an interview.
Or at least I was hoping that was the case.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
So if I was the AR for the Wallabies test, from that angle and at that speed I think I would have called play on as well. It is a very close call and the way Brown does it makes him look in the field of play.

Of all the things to criticize the refs for, people are choosing this extremely borderline case that could go either way as some kind of 'good example of poor officiating'. Some of the commentators doing this should know better that's for sure.

Fair point, the AR had also moved infield, as they often do tracking a kick, so did not have the great view down the line we had. However the annoying thing for me was it was one of so many similar borderline calls or small mistakes that it was like the falling tree breaking the camels back. So many in favour of England that a less charitable correspondent would harbour some bizarre thoughts.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
There is a substantial amount of intellectual snobbery about the intricacies of rugby, I especially love the different game plan every week for each opponent. 39 pages cannot be wrong, we would be a lot more successful if we executed a simple game plan and basic rugby skills well. Not a big ask for professional athletes.

Even playing a low level of rugby here in Aussie, the differences in approach to the game compared with NZ is quite amazing.

It's like forwards here are so pre-occupied with technically getting their game right, they lose all instinct of the raw power and savageness of the game. Your boys need to find the brutality of rugby that is the foundation for everything else in the game to build on. And probably what made a few of these guys want to play in the first place.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
RE: George Clancy. These youtube vids are easing the pain somewhat.

I try to stay grounded but I had high hopes we'd turned the page after that game against the AB's. How wrong I was to get excited. Gotta give credit to the peeps posting after the AB's game telling us to calm the fuck down - turned out to be quite an accurate call. Can't add anything more really to what's been said of the players performance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
RE: George Clancy. These youtube vids are easing the pain somewhat.

I try to stay grounded but I had high hopes we'd turned the page after that game against the AB's. How wrong I was to get excited. Gotta give credit to the peeps posting after the AB's game telling us the calm the fuck down - turned out to be quite an accurate call. Can't add anything more really to what's been said of the players performance.

You know he got cleaned up again on Saturday?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In our 22 England on the "attack"

Can't recall that myself. I do love to see a ref getting cleaned up though. IIRC one of the best was a NZ v Saffer game where Sir ended up well and truly buried at the bottom of the ruck with about 10 bodies on top of him.

You rotten sod. You realise that you have now challenged all the Clancy haters to have to review the entire game looking for "the moment".

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I try to stay grounded but I had high hopes we'd turned the page after that game against the AB's. How wrong I was to get excited. Gotta give credit to the peeps posting after the AB's game telling us to calm the fuck down - turned out to be quite an accurate call. Can't add anything more really to what's been said of the players performance.
Sad to think that a non-embarrassing loss in a dead rubber is viewed upon as a success.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
We played the English in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and now 2013. I reckon we won't have them in 2014 and might not play them again until 2015. Maybe it's a good thing if we go into the RWC as underdogs against England.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Even playing a low level of rugby here in Aussie, the differences in approach to the game compared with NZ is quite amazing.

It's like forwards here are so pre-occupied with technically getting their game right, they lose all instinct of the raw power and savageness of the game. Your boys need to find the brutality of rugby that is the foundation for everything else in the game to build on. And probably what made a few of these guys want to play in the first place.
Geez you have no idea how much I strongly agree with you Bullrush, actually had a mate played a game here for one of out clubs lower grade teams when he was in Brissy on holiday a few years ago(about 2003), and he said exactly same thing. he was coaching and playing in England at time, and said to me after game it was very similar to England, he had the impression the team they were playing against were doing everything at breakdown techinally spot on, but our club team was full of kiwis and they tended to blow them apart with brute force. As I said had same thing in England, said teams were great to coach in that they listened and did it all correctly, but without passion/brutality, it seems to be Wallabies problem to in a way, as I said in earlier post as a forward I belive you have to crave making contact etc.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
We played the English in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and now 2013. I reckon we won't have them in 2014 and might not play them again until 2015. Maybe it's a good thing if we go into the RWC as underdogs against England.

The Wallabies are playing England in 2014.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If I hear the words "work in progress", "we need to execute better", "we need to take our chances" and the best one "it is a learning experience" I think I will scream.

According to Link in the after game presser, the Wallabies are living in the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.