• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs. England, Twickenham, 2nd November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
[quote="Ash, post:

That all being said, I think I'd pick a fully fit and inform Pocock over Hooper, as Pocock I think can play with a greater variety of backrows whereas I think that Hooper needs a bigger, grafting, balanced backrow that will give Hooper the space to shine.[/quote]

Probably you should really say you would pick a fully fit Pocock,if he plays as good as he used to, because can someone tell me the last top test Pocock played well in. A year is a fair while in rugby........

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The argument people always make against Palu is that he's big but ineffective or lacking in impact. And yet despite playing about half the tests in the voting period, his peers rated him very highly. So either he has more impact than some fans think or the players are wrong. Whether Pocock or whoever was injured in that timeframe doesn't really matter.

I don't know where you are heading with this? I didn't say anything about how he plays. I only made mention of his ability to keep injury free. I also said that age is not on his side for a player who is injury plagued. His injuries are keeping him out of the game for long periods and he isn't getting any younger. I think Palu is a bloody good player and has given good service to the Wallabies, though I have already acknowledged this. I have no issue on selecting Palu on his merits though given his injury history, it is hard to bank on him as a consistent starter. Shit, like any other player with these issues, I hope he can overcome his injury woes and string some consistent game time together. I have no doubt if this happens he will be consistantly the Wallaby 8. Having not seen this happen is the reason I would say Higgers will likely be a long term Wallaby eight.

For the record, I think Palu has plenty of impact and at his best is very effective. Not because he is a big bopper but more because he knows how to carry his body to best effect. Something in general Australian players tend to struggle with.

Without doubt the players and associated coaching staff know each other best and are privy to knowledge we are not. But when applying that standard, it is important that it be upheld consistently. Palu isn't the only maligned player on these forums let's not forget.

M

Muttonbird

It seems Pocock's been out since the dawn of time. In reality, this year anyway, it was a ruptured ACL on 09 March 2013.

He played just the one Rugby Championship game in 2012 so that's two full years out of meaningful test rugby. Not a great legacy.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah you have people complaining about Palu's injuries yet he's played triple the amount of Test rugby Pocock has in the last 2 years.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly Charger, I not knocking Pocock by any means, just saying he hasn't played any good games of International rugby for over 2 years, so lets just hope he can recapture his form, also all the talk of Hooper stepping aside for him, well you don't select someone for 2 year old form.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pocock pretty much single handedly won us the Semi against SA at the RWC. Not many players have that capability.

There are about 10 million Saffers who will believe that the victory was a joint effort between Bam Bam and Bryce Lawrence, with the latter being primarily responsible for the early exit of the gallant Saffer team.

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
So will Mckenzie utilise Tomane or Cummins on the wing for Sat, assuming ACC stays on at wing to?. I would like to see TPN on the bench if he's back to full fitness to give us some impact later in the match.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
There are about 10 million Saffers who will believe that the victory was a joint effort between Bam Bam and Bryce Lawrence, with the latter being primarily responsible for the early exit of the gallant Saffer team.

Yes but that's true of every South African loss.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Exactly Charger, I not knocking Pocock by any means, just saying he hasn't played any good games of International rugby for over 2 years, so lets just hope he can recapture his form, also all the talk of Hooper stepping aside for him, well you don't select someone for 2 year old form.

Pocock will have from Feb to June to show his form in next year's Super comp. In form. he will be picked to start.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah you have people complaining about Palu's injuries yet he's played triple the amount of Test rugby Pocock has in the last 2 years.

Cliff is approaching the end of his career, while Pocock has many very good years (probably his best still to come) left in him, long term injuries aside. Big difference. A couple of missed test matches for Palu will just about bring on his retirement from test rugby, especially if Higgers continues the form he showed this year, but Poey will have time on his side to get back from any unfortunate injury from time to time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cliff is approaching the end of his career, while Pocock has many very good years (probably his best still to come) left in him, long term injuries aside. Big difference. A couple of missed test matches for Palu will just about bring on his retirement from test rugby, especially if Higgers continues the form he showed this year, but Poey will have time on his side to get back from any unfortunate injury from time to time.

Gee we stick units out to pasture early, to me, Palu is there until we have someone in the squad better (he was rated the 2nd best Aus player in the last 12 months last Thursday o_O and you think he is on the cusp of retirement? ).

Higgers form may mean he becomes a bench option (more likely will be Higgers to 6), but why is that a negative anyway? All that means is that we get a better 80 minutes @ 6 & 8 and proper thrust from the bench

Also Palu is actually going to get a decent off pre-season core fitness load for the first time in a while, that ain't a bad thing

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I have no idea why people are still selecting Slipper and Alexander as the props. They were horrendous around the park last Test and if they're not performing in the scrums why the hell are they being persisted with. What have Robinson and Kepu done wrong? They were the best Australian scrum in Super Rugby, the scrum has seemingly improved every time they come on. Going to the NH, you play your best scrummaging props and that's Robinson and Kepu.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gee we stick units out to pasture early, to me, Palu is there until we have someone in the squad better (he was rated the 2nd best Aus player in the last 12 months last Thursday o_O and you think he is on the cusp of retirement? ).

Higgers form may mean he becomes a bench option (more likely will be Higgers to 6), but why is that a negative anyway? All that means is that we get a better 80 minutes @ 6 & 8 and proper thrust from the bench

Also Palu is actually going to get a decent off pre-season core fitness load for the first time in a while, that ain't a bad thing

We shall see about Palu. If he gets back to his form of a few years ago, I will gladly eat humble pie, but honestly, I can't see that happening atm. BTW I think Higgers played better at 8 for the Rebels before his injury than Cliff has in the past 12 months.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So will Mckenzie utilise Tomane or Cummins on the wing for Sat, assuming ACC stays on at wing to?. I would like to see TPN on the bench if he's back to full fitness to give us some impact later in the match.

I don't see TPN coming into the squad, and then the bench, until we play the Italians.
He doesn't have any match fitness, and the England game is too important to be bringing back TPN after a long break.
Even when he is up there, he's gong to have to prove himself against the two incumbent hookers, both of whom are playing well.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I have no idea why people are still selected Slipper and Alexander as the props. They were horrendous around the park last Test and if they're not performing in the scrums why the hell are they being persisted with. What have Robinson and Kepu done wrong? They were the best Australian scrum in Super Rugby, the scrum has seemingly improved every time they come on. Going to the NH, you play your best scrummaging props and that's Robinson and Kepu.

Probably because Link is still selecting them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We shall see about Palu. If he gets back to his form of a few years ago, I will gladly eat humble pie, but honestly, I can't see that happening atm. BTW I think Higgers played better at 8 for the Rebels before his injury than Cliff has in the past 12 months.

His form against the Lions in 2013 was good in two of the three tests. That puts him in a pretty good position relative to the rest of the team. His form on the 2012 EOYT was excellent.

Everyone is weighing up Higginbotham's 2013 Super Rugby form against this. Higgers was excellent at number 8 for the Rebels in 2013 but hasn't played a good test for the Wallabies at number 8 and has really only been decent at 6 for the Wallabies in 2012. He was far from making that position his own at that point in time.

In my opinion, the only players who have put in excellent performances for the Wallabies at number 8 in the last few years are Wycliff Palu and Radike Samo. Every other option has been decent at best. All the other options are appealing based on their Super Rugby form but are yet to translate that to the test arena.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We shall see about Palu. If he gets back to his form of form of a few years ago last Year, I will gladly eat humble pie, but honestly, I can't see that happening atm. BTW I think Higgers played better at 8 for the Rebels before his injury than Cliff has in the past 12 months.

fixed, he was very good last year as well (second on the John Eales medal?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom