• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Junior Rugby Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I also note that there is some honesty in regards player numbers and team numbers. It will be interesting to see how this is spun in the various parent bodies annual reports.

So the AJRU appears to have done nothing, and what's more they owe NSW JRU a whole stack of money. The view of no-confidence in the AJRU is telling in that the monies owing have been relegated to bad debt.

Who was on the executive of the NSW JRU when the loan to the AJRU of about $21000 was authorised? I hope the minutes of the meetings record the details of the vote and approval. Where are those members of that executive now?

"Despite numerous requests via email and telephone neither the President of AJRU, Treasurer of AJRU or the former President of NSWJRU has been able to provide any correspondence in relation to the terms and conditions of this loan." - NSW JRU Commercial Manager 2013

Using Jarse Club BBQ econometrics, clubs make about $1 on a can of drink or a Sausage sanger, and roughly make about $500 profit from an afternoon of canteen/BBQ duty. Some BBQs make lots more, some make less.

$21000 represents the entire profits from 42 BBQ's. Over a 14 game season (1/2 away games) that is the equivalent of telling 6 clubs that they have to run their BBQ/Canteens for nothing for the season.

$21000 will also buy someone a fairly good low mileage used Car that has been well maintained with low kilometres. I wish I knew a car shark that would firstly agree to loan me a car, and then write of the $ that I owe them as a doubtful debt, when I don't answer their emails.

Engage a debt recovery organisation.

Name and shame some of those involved. They have rorted a not-for-profit volunteer community children's sporting organisation.

Our politicians make the front page for taking the taxpayer to the cleaners for $5k in allowances when they go to their mates wedding. This is at least 4 times as bad as that, and the problem looks as if it is going to be swept under the carpet with NO accountability.

THIS IS A DISGRACE.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last year the Australian Junior Rugby Union was resurrected by Paul Taylor (it had been dormant for a number of years but still had a bank acct etc). Taylor steps down this year as President of NSWJRU and desperately needed another gig to maintain kudos!

Taylor appointed a full time administrator in Brisbane (circa $100k pa) to 'legitimise' the AJRU and wants to have tours to provide a pathway for club players (or maybe to compete with the prestigious Aust Schools' UK and other tours).

Funding will not be by sponsorship or fundraising dinners but by a levy on all junior players (incl minis)!

The 2011 ARU Annual Report confirms the executive of the AJRU as being:
AUSTRALIAN JUNIOR RUGBY UNION President: Paul Taylor, Vice President: Martin Sullivan, Secretary: Paul De Guigand

There is no mention of the AJRU in the 2012 ARU Annual Report.
I note that the 2010 SJRU President was a Mr Paul Taylor, and that the same fellow seems to be recorded as the President of the NSW JRU in 2011 and 2012. The $25000 loan to AJRU is mentioned in the 2012 audited Accounts NSW JRU. Funny thing is that the 2012 accounts have been signed off by the 2013 President and Treasurer. This seems to be a little unusual.

There are strangely no accounts attached to the NSW JRU web site for 2011, but these have been provided here previously by a fellow Gaggerlander

NSW JRU - Financial Report and Statements for year ended 31 Oct 2011

Fellow bloggers, as Paul Taylor (President NSWJRU) obviously does not see the need for accountability I now post the Commercial/Financial Report for the NSWJRU which includes the 2010 and 2011 accounts.

Looking at the minutes of the 2010 AGM there is no mention of an audit or the need for an auditor!

In accordance with the NSWJRU Constitution, Paul Taylor as President will need to step down at this year's AGM (unless no one stands for this role) having served three years.

Watch this space.

I think you will have to follow the link to the OP by @George Smith to get the further link to the "accounts" for 2011. Click on the little arrow thing in the green line of the post from @George Smith, or try clicking on the file name below.
NSWJRU_Fin Stmts (YE Oct 2011).pdf

There doesn't seem to be any mention of any loan to the AJRU in NSW JRU 2011 Accounts.

One can assume that the loan to the AJRU was approved by the Executive Committee of the NSW JRU sometime in 2012 under the Presidency of Mr Paul Taylor. This was the namesake of the 2011, and probably 2012, AJRU President. This was the entity that was the beneficiary of the loan.

Draw your own conclusions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Funding for the various Junior unions is a mixture of grants from the ARU (passed/trickled down through the affiliates) and player levies.
ARJU has received monies from its direct affiliates. They will also be searching for grants from the ASC. On of the requirements for this is to have a CEO. Hence, Brendan Ryan was appointed. His main job, I understand, is to get in sponsorship to help alleviate his $100k salary.

If you are looking for the NSWJRU finances you will not have any luck. They haven't been audited for several years and although accepted at last years AGM they have not been published.

I let this one go through to the keeper at the time, but the blood is up and fingers warm.

What sort of organisation is this? The main role of the CEO is not to run the organisation but to secure funding to offset the salary of the CEO?

Would the sponsors be told that their funds would be used to cover administrative overheads of the organisation?

Sir Humphery Appleby would be proud.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At least Kerry Brady and her team this year seem to have righted the ship as it were, with some timely and honest reports, and audited and published financial statements.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ and apparently this year will see the last NSW Country Schools trials and rep selection.

A big shout out to those involved in organisations with charters/constitutions that mention "...fostering and growing the game of Rugby..." or words to the same general effect.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. The AJRU as an organisation appears to have been finally and quietly put down. The big bad wolf is dead.

Is it time for this thread to morph into Junior Rugby Union in Australia, to discuss Junior RU in Australia outside the existing threads for Sydney JRU, ACT JRU and BJRU etc ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
... ... ... And here was me declaring the demise of the Australian Junior Rugby Union.

Page 45 of the 2014 ARU annual report http://www.rugby.com.au/annualreport/2014/ states " The Australian Junior Rugby Union continued as the peak body of junior Rugby in Australia enjoying active participation of junior delegates from Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Victoria and Western Australia. Each member had the responsibility to foster, govern and promote the game in their respective states and terrritories. The AJRU played an integral role in the metamorphosis of the AJRU Nationals into the highly successful Junior Gold Cup. 2014 provided the opportunity to evaluate this programme and to plan for future innovation in talent and representative programs throughout Australia"

So it refuses to die.

Who is on the executive of the AJRU, or is it solely state and territory delegates? Where does it get funded from?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Mike Cross of www.trytimerugby.com doing great things with Grass Roots Rugby
1436330667211.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This disgrace seems to refuse to die. The 2015 Annual Report from NSW JRU (http://www.nswjuniors.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2015-Annual-report-NSWJRU.pdf) includes this statement on page 5 in the Commercial Manager's Report:

The NSWJRU Committee have continued to show the loan to Australian Junior Rugby in the balance sheet, even though it has been fully provided for, as we wish to continue to seek to recover this loan.
The history of this loan is that during the 2012 financial year NSWJRU lent Australian Junior Rugby Union Inc (AJRU) $25,000 to promote a national tournament for Under 15's and Under 17's. This loan was reduced by $3,680 being the fees paid by NSWJRU to enter the 2012 AJRU tournament. Despite numerous requests via email and telephone neither the 2012 President of AJRU, 2012 Treasurer of AJRU or the 2012 President of NSWJRU has been able to provide any correspondence in relation to the terms and conditions of this loan. As at 31 October 2012 AJRU had Net Liabilities of $37,232. Its assets were Cash at Bank of $2,568 and Debtors of $2,840. In the opinion of the 2013 NSWJRU Committee there is little likely hood that NSWJRU will be able to recover this loan. Therefore as at 31 October 2013 the NSWJRU Committee made a provision for the full amount of the loan. The NSWJRU Committee's view of the loan to Australian Junior Rugby Union remains unchanged and so it continues to be fully provided for.

NSW lose a State Premier over a $3000 bottle of Grange that he forgot about, meanwhile this $25000 festering scab remains unresolved.

Should it be this hard to resolve?

Governance seems to have been in short supply back in 2012. Who were the honourable folk at AJRU and NSW JRU that were in charge at that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.