• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Does anyone else get the feeling that the noose is starting to tighten!

All the spin and bluster from RA, their client state RUs and their ever decreasing band of establishment defenders can't fight the tide of mathematics.

Fewer people are playing, fewer people are watching, fewer people are supporting super rugby and so income will continue to decline while expenditure has to continue to increase in order to maintain Australian presence in super rugby. Mathematically, this can't continue for too much longer as eventually there will be no money left.

In 2013 (as listed in their annual report for that year) the ARU received a financial windfall of $33 million from the BIL tour. That money has basically kept the code going ever since.

Next BIL tour to Australia is 2025 and I assume that the RA strategy is to stay afloat until that point.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
yes slim and BH the decline started a long time ago, but at this key juncture you could not have had a worse person in charge.
Clone had the the solution to Aust rugby's problems asking to help but his arrogance, ego and blind loyalty to his agenda and Melb mates had him not only refuse but also make Twiggy an enemy.
Clone is RA's biggest problem though I don't see a solution without massive outside support.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
yes slim and BH the decline started a long time ago, but at this key juncture you could not have had a worse person in charge.
Clone had the the solution to Aust rugby's problems asking to help but his arrogance, ego and blind loyalty to his agenda and Melb mates had him not only refuse but also make Twiggy an enemy.
Clone is RA's biggest problem though I don't see a solution without massive outside support.

He's just the latest manifestation. The vast majority of board members, charimen and CEOs in the professional era have all been cut from the same cloth. And they're essentially the same group of people that run banks and large corporations - and we see on show at the Royal Commissions how they behave.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
He's just the latest manifestation. The vast majority of board members, charimen and CEOs in the professional era have all been cut from the same cloth. And they're essentially the same group of people that run banks and large corporations - and we see on show at the Royal Commissions how they behave.

yes absolutely, but I think clone also had a particular problem with twiggy from when previously he didn't get a job he applied for with Twiggy.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I assume that the RA strategy is to stay afloat until that point.

Yep. I think most likely it'll be to go back to 3 teams in the next deal. Brumbies will play some games in Melbourne. Can't see the ARU moving away from prioritising high performance programs and concentration of talent given the Wallabies are the cash cow. They'll simply argue that Australian rugby was strongest when we had 3 teams, and that it's the financially sustainable option. And if that is or becomes unsustainable they'll go to 2.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep. I think most likely it'll be to go back to 3 teams in the next deal. Brumbies will play some games in Melbourne. Can't see the ARU moving away from prioritising high performance programs and concentration of talent given the Wallabies are the cash cow. They'll simply argue that Australian rugby was strongest when we had 3 teams, and that it's the financially sustainable option. And if that is or becomes unsustainable they'll go to 2.
How many franchises stay alive when they start shuttering outlets to stay afloat? Fucking zero.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Or they could just go to zero now and admit the whole thing is unsustainable.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

And this is something that we should all be preparing for and warning RA about. There is no position where it is acceptable. I suspect though it is something that the Kiwis will be expecting.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Accepted by whom, exactly? Who is the judge and jury?

The market is both. The lack of fans and viewership would suggest it is the truth.

Three home games this weekend = three losses against teams we would have reasonably expected to beat if our teams were in any way genuinely competitive and the fact that they were really not in any of the games (despite what some Brumbies might say they never really looked like winning its like Michael Hooper saying the scoreline of 35 - nil or whatever didn't reflect how close the game was)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The market is both. The lack of fans and viewership would suggest it is the truth.

Three home games this weekend = three losses against teams we would have reasonably expected to beat if our teams were in any way genuinely competitive and the fact that they were really not in any of the games (despite what some Brumbies might say they never really looked like winning its like Michael Hooper saying the scoreline of 35 - nil or whatever didn't reflect how close the game was)
I am about ready now to cancel my Foxtel subscription which only had for the super rugby but as nothing super watching oz sides feel time would be better spent watching a Shute shield match on Fta every week and going to odd Shute shield game.

I thought I was a rusted on fan but even I can’t watch this sort of low quality shit week after week by oz super rugby sides. Had enough...time to act and stop waiting for something that seems destined to not go anywhere in terms of improvement for oz super rugby sides as just too broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am about ready now to cancel my Foxtel subscription which only had for the super rugby but as nothing super watching oz sides feel time would be better spent watching a Shute shield match on Fta every week and going to odd Shute shield game.

I thought I was a rusted on fan but even I can’t watch this sort of low quality shit week after week by oz super rugby sides. Had enough.time to act and stop waiting for something that seems destined to not go anywhere in terms of improvement for oz super rugby sides as just too broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still a rugby fanatic, in that I will watch Aviva etc even when I have no buy in, but the Australian Super games are just absolute rubbish in terms of quality and essentially unwatchable. I have to say the Boks kick and chase game around 2004-2007, and the English maul and forwards 10 man game before that was better than this shite because each took real skill and the execution was precise even if it drove me nuts I could appreciate the real skills. Nothing in the Australian Pro game can be appreciated, a good pass or solid carry is an aberration.

I too will shut of Fox I think, especially since I have 12 months until Game of Thrones.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
CURSE YOU RUGBY AUSTRALIA

Many of you will know me as the bloke who collected the Breakdown Stats – not just in Super Rugby but also for the Wallabies.
In 2016 and 2017 I collected Ruck Stats for every game played by an Australian Super Rugby franchise and Wallabies Test Match prior to August 2017 when the Western Force was axed from Super Rugby.
I haven’t collected any Ruck Stats since that time.
I have lost interest in Super Rugby.
I have lost interest in Wallabies Test matches.

Today I found myself supporting the Jaguares against the Brumbies as they play an exciting form of rugby. They have a go – which is more than I can say about the Aussie Super Rugby teams.

My main interest in the game was seeing how ex-Western Force players are progressing – wherever they are playing.
It was fantastic to see Future Force player Mees Erasmus get some time off the bench. Palmyra missed him yesterday against Soaks.
Good to see locally developed player Kyle Godwin continue his endeavours. I hope he does well at Connaght next year and rediscovers his mojo as he’s a fine young man.
Really enjoyed seeing Isi Naisarani continue with his strong ball carries and physical game. Glad that he got his Super Rugby break with the Western Force. Another fine young man. I hope he gets to play for the Wallabies.
Always enjoy watching Western Force Foundation Player, David Pocock, currently the best No 7 in Australia, ply his trade. (even if he is forced to play No 8 for the Wallabies)
Chance Peni continues to get used to his switch back to Rugby Union. Loved his try. Welcome back home to Perth any time …...
Robbie Abels gets a lot more game time with the Brumbies than he ever earned at the Western Force.

I didn’t collect the Ruck Stats for this match.
I probably won’t collect the Ruck Stats for the Wallabies v Ireland Tests in June.

This weekend I watched the Australian franchises lose every game. I was actually pleased with this outcome. That’s what disappointment and disillusionment can do to you.

But what else is new? The Aussie franchises, despite RA’s ongoing gross mismanagement, have lost 50% of the games up to the end of Round 10; won 47% and 1 drawn. The games against New Zealand and South Africa are ahead. I don’t expect any surprises.

I don’t envy Michael Cheika’s chances of building a competitive team by June.

Have just seen attendance numbers for Super Rugby for the 4 years up to 2016:
2013 – 724,500
2014 – 745,800
2015 – 610,400
2016 - 443,600 (The year after the Wallabies were runner-up at the RWC)

Can’t trust the numbers in 2017 as they seem to be just made up or not available – especially for the Waratahs at Allianz Stadium. They continue to be N/A for this year as well. Then again, numbers such as the 5,500 for the last Rebels home game are very embarrassing. Who knows what contrived number will be given for the Waratahs v Lions game?

I can’t wait to see ASIC move on its current active investigations into the axing of the Western Force and the dirty dealings to keep The Rebels going. ASIC doesn’t spend $$s without good cause.

Rugby Australia (formerly ARU) has shown itself as totally incapable of running our great game.
I honestly believe that RA has to be completely broken before it has a chance of moving forward and allowing our game to be rebuilt from the grass-roots up.

I'm enjoying getting out and about to Perth Club Rugby. There's been some exciting and unexpected outcomes - and it's only Round 2.

Western Force MkII has it’s first game against Fiji at nib Stadium (The Force Field) on 4 May 2018.
The Western Force will be playing other games as follows:
13 May – Tonga
9 June – Rebels
(15-17 June – Mauritius World Club 10s)
22 June – Crusaders
14 July – Samoa
10 August – Hong Kong
17 August – Japan Top 14 team (probably Panasonic)

I’ve got my tickets for every match.
Can’t wait to attend and to collect the Ruck Stats off the recorded game on free-to-air TV.

World Series Rugby may well be the hope for our great game in Australia.
Don’t hold your breath as Rugby Australia stumble along trying to play catch-up.

Thanks Minderoo, thanks Andrew Forrest, for maintaining my interest in the professional game in WA.