• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby Development Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm firmly of the opinion this Taj Mahal would've been much better sited at either Ballymore or Millner. The adjoining fields would've been exclusively rugby's, fer starters.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'm firmly of the opinion this Taj Mahal would've been much better sited at either Ballymore or Millner. The adjoining fields would've been exclusively rugby's, fer starters.

ARU CEO Bill Pulver said the facility, part-funded by the ARU, the SCG Trust, UTS and the Federal and NSW Governments

Did they have a choice? It was built where those with the money wanted it built.....

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
AFAI can work out the SCG Trust put bugger all into the capital costs. UTS, dunno. As for the governments' contributions, would they care where this building was built as long as the purpose was approved.

The only positive I can see so far with the siting of this castle at Moore Park is the desire of the Tahs to move away from the ARU's immediate vicinity. Good.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe if Papworth hadn't been such a prat the last few years the ARU could've got Eastwood, and him, out of a hole. Rumblings Eastwood are looking at selling the real estate and moving elsewhere. Read here: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...r-oval-to-north-ryde-rsl-20170220-gugtb9.html
Yeah of course Pulver would have bailed them out.
if only Papworth hadn't objected to Pulvers statement,that giving SS clubs money, would be pissing it up against the wall.....

Of course that ignores the fact, that they are not yet in a position that would require them to be bailed out....

But don't let facts get in the way :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Millner land is worth far more for sale as building lots than it ever would be as a sporting venue.

T

TOCC

The Millner land is worth far more for sale as building lots than it ever would be as a sporting venue.

Couldn't the same be said about any open space though?

Let's hope they do a better deal then the Brumbies did with their land.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Just read the article

For a sport supposedly awash with "Business Leaders" and based on "private school privilege", it is run by the dumbest administrators going around.

How is it suburban Rugby league clubs can manage profits and paying players without owning a field. Yet Eastwood with all it's tradition set pretty close rugby mad (as much as anything is) North Shore.

If Eastwood moves they will be dead within a decade, guaranteed. If you can't manage your money when you own your own assets - a rugby only one at that - then how quickly would they smash the bank account afterwards.

Speaking of gifts, wasn't the land bequeathed on the condition it always remained a rugby union oval?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A couple of points. Firstly, owning a rugby field is actually a very expensive business.

Secondly, the then club manager was not up to the job, I will not mention his name, unfortunately he was an icon on the field, but pretty hopeless off it. They were a million in debt when North Ryde RSL bailed them out.

I think you might be underestimating the quality of the present administration, the board is heavy with real business acumen. The Chairperson, Rob Cusack, is CEO of St Vincents Private Hospital.

Thanks for the advice, by the way.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Just read the article

For a sport supposedly awash with "Business Leaders" and based on "private school privilege", it is run by the dumbest administrators going around.

How is it suburban Rugby league clubs can manage profits and paying players without owning a field. Yet Eastwood with all it's tradition set pretty close rugby mad (as much as anything is) North Shore.

If Eastwood moves they will be dead within a decade, guaranteed. If you can't manage your money when you own your own assets - a rugby only one at that - then how quickly would they smash the bank account afterwards.

Speaking of gifts, wasn't the land bequeathed on the condition it always remained a rugby union oval?

Yes it was and if ever it is not used as a rugby ground then the land is to be returned to the family.

On your point pertaining to our cough cough leaders, present and past. My overall feeling is as a code we compare well against others, however we have been for as long as I remember out played in the board rooms by other codes.

Pulver words are good but some of his actions beggar belief in a business / grassroots sense. The decision to break the conflict of private schools v Saturday district competitions by moving the district competitions to Sunday morning has been a horrible failure and always was going to be. Without trying to start WWIII his revamped version of the NRC does nothing to grow rugby it represents the ARU broad simply having the national team needs as first, second and third.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Where are these suburban rugby league clubs making profits?
Describing the present amalgamated post super league descendants of former district rugby league clubs as suburban ignores the fact they play in an almost entirely domestic nationwide comp which can change its rules at a moments notice mid season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Back in the days when I played junior league, all the clubs had thriving licensed premises loaded with poker machines alongside or very near the field.

T

TOCC

Eastwood are selling their grounds, but Wests in Brisbane have just upgraded theirs:

West Rugby new $7.4million clubhouse:

hb-co-westsrugbyclubhouse-5-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-westsrugbyclubhouse-4-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-westsrugbyclubhouse-11-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-westsrugbyclubhouse-3-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-westsrugbyclubhouse-6-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-westsrugbyclubhouse-7-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-westsrugbyclubhouse-9-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-westsrugbyclub-construction-2-lowres-jpg.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Where are these suburban rugby league clubs making profits?
Describing the present amalgamated post super league descendants of former district rugby league clubs as suburban ignores the fact they play in an almost entirely domestic nationwide comp which can change its rules at a moments notice mid season.

One example Wentworth Magpies.
  • Play on Ringrose Park owned by Cumberland Council.
  • The competition is the Ron Massey Cup with not a single team outside the Sydney Basin.
  • They are below the Kangaroos, State Team and NRL making them Tier 4
I'm not saying being part of the ARL administrative behemoth doesn't have it's advantages. It reinforces my point that good administration in Rugby Union is found wanting.

Back in the days when I played junior league, all the clubs had thriving licensed premises loaded with poker machines alongside or very near the field.

You mean like Eastwood at the oval, Manly across the road, Drummoyne around the corner now in Subbies, Royals and Easts in Canberra......is there a pattern? Union Clubs have had the same advantages and setups as League clubs, just not kept them.

This is not an attack on Eastwood per say, but using it as an example of the inability of rugby administrators to capitalise on what they have had. The thing that is so frustrating about the Eastwood situation is it's significance to the spirituality of Sydney Rugby. Eastwood has had an advantage over all other Clubs for years yet find themselves in significant trouble. It can't all be the ARU's fault.

I'm glad that better people are at the head than those from previous administrations. It's just sad that it has come to this.

By the way, I sincerely hope I am wrong about it's demise. Frustration can cause people to say stupid stuff.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
How independent of each other are VRG and Eastwood?

Presumably VRG are selling the land but do they then pass it straight through to Eastwood?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
HTF did the Bulldogs pay for that? :confused:

Apparently they have a rock solid business model. Or so says someone supposedly involved with the club over on the QPR thread. If that is correct then they should be sharing it with every other club nationally. The game needs to cooperate and collaborate as much as possible in order to prosper.

Status
Not open for further replies.