• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby Development Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Looks like the ARU couldn't cut a deal with Eastwood over setting up the ARDC at Millner. See here: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...abies-home-at-moore-park-20160511-gosq16.html

A shame it didn't end up at either Millner or Ballymore, both with their extensive playing fields on site. Getting a time to use the grounds at Moore Park alongside the Tahs, Roosters and Swans'll be like taking a ticket at a Woolies deli. Did Papworth's outburst over funding for Sydney clubs cruel Eastwood's chances of a long-term tenant? I can't help thinking the ARU would be more in line with Tom Millner's use of Vimiera Recreation Grounds than a kindergarten.

And SMH, it's Millner, not Milner.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Transferred from newer thread:

Latest proposal from the ARU..

-The Australian Rugby Development Centre will act as the code’s national headquarters as well as a training base for the Wallabies, Sevens and junior representative sides.
-5 story building at Moore Park..
-A 30x20m indoor training pitch will be used for some drills, coupled with the current Moore Park fields.

The ARU has partnered with the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) to build the ARDC,with the university to use one level as a research base for its sports exercise and management programs.

ARU CEO Bill Pulver said the facility, part-funded by the ARU, the SCG Trust, UTS and the Federal and NSW Governments, would be a boost for the sport and the local community.

Renders at www.rugby.com.au

Any arrangement where others are footing most of the cost is good for the ARU.

T

TOCC

I still think somewhere like Ballymore would have been much better, there's more training fields, already teams have to hot swap at Moore Park, I ride by regularly and see the Waratahs waiting on the sidelines for the Roosters U20's team to finish their session, or the Wallabies training on the oval with AFL field marking and AFL goal posts set up from the Swans training earlier in the day.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely the location is primarily being driven around who is willing to pay for the construction of a five story building.

The only sides that will actually need regular training space there are the Aussie 7s teams.

T

TOCC

Construction started today and should take just over 12months until completion

T

TOCC

A few different renders of the building..

7291_ARUCoE-162022-Parking-007_600x600.jpg

UTS Facilities:
ARDC-terrace_200x160.jpg
ARDC-sports-hall_200x160.jpg

ARU Facilities:
160511_gym2.ashx

a33dd1d1e9cb97a7cb40afbc44a0307b

I remain quite cynical of this project and question the true value to Australian Rugby, to me it looks like a glorified office block for the ARU HQ, a big selling point, the 'rooftop running track' seems like a token gesture, its nothing more then a 50m strip of astro-turf.

UTS will actually own a fair share of the building, with 2 and a half floors of the 6 story building been occupied by UTS(including the rooftop), sure there will be some reciprocal benefits by working alongside but its not entirely an ARU facility.

When you compare it to other 'high performance centres' around the country for various teams, it seems to be short of training and rehabilitation space.

T

TOCC

Compared to the previous proposal at Eastwood, the Moorepark seems to be more weighted towards office space for the ARU and UTS lecture space rather then training facilities. The Eastwood proposal also featured onsite accommodation and an indoor pool which the new Moorebank facility doesn't have.

Eastwood proposal:
The Australian Rugby Development Centre will feature an indoor pool, gym, IT and analysis centre, altitude training room and onsite accommodation.
New%20Development%20Centre.jpg

T

TOCC

There are 2 training ovals, shared by the Swans, Roosters, Waratahs and the respective U20 and academy sides from each of those teams.. I live 5mins away and commute through the park, it's not uncommon to see one team waiting on the sideline for another teams training to finish.. Not exactly a massive issue, but still a lesser outcome when they had their own dedicated ovals at Eastwood.

There is a public pool yes, there isn't a recovery plunge pool.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
It looks an excellent training centre and I am sure it will be used well.

Whether it should have been Eastwood very hard to say, I assume are both proposals were analysed a decision had to be made and we can only assume Moore park was the better option.

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
With the CSIRO about to get rid of its Marsfield site (in the next 2-3 years) across the road from TG its a pity that wasn't known when all the TG stuff fell through. More medium density housing I guess and who knows maybe some juniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
With the CSIRO about to get rid of its Marsfield site (in the next 2-3 years) across the road from TG its a pity that wasn't known when all the TG stuff fell through. More medium density housing I guess and who knows maybe some juniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add the Mac Uni "The Middle of Nowhere" fields as SFC are leaving.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
In all fairness it looks a excellent facility and we have to assume they will manage it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.