• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

T

TOCC

Rugby Australia signals end of 'foreign players' within Australian Super Rugby teams...

I don't entirely agree, I think the foreign player allowance can work but it needs to be managed effectively by RA to ensure that their aren't multiple foreign players in the same positions. I think having the likes of Thompson, Mafi, Potgeiter(few more I can't remember) etc all in the playing the same position broadly hindered the development of an Australian blindside flanker/number 8. Similarly last year there were 3 foreign fly-halfs signed to Australian teams.

I think the Japanese marquee Allowance has run its course, it had its purpose but now that Japan has the Sunwolves it doesn't really provide the marginal benefit it once did. Conversely I do think Australian Rugby should offer an allowance to the pacific islands teams, 1 foreign capped player per team each year from either Tonga, Samoa or Fiji should be allowed.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...s/news-story/b8c2a775bd1c5dc8c3f5fcce1562a46d

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Surely there are more pressing and urgent matters that Whittaker should be concentrating on than 4 blokes 'stealing' Aussie jobs? The idea has it's merits, and the ARU still control who the Super Teams can sign. If they feel that awarding a foreign player a contract would be detrimental to an Aussie player, then don't ratify the contract.

Surely there's bigger fish to fry than this Ben?

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Agree, we should be concentrating on winning games and bringing fans back to the game first and if that means OS players that will add value so be it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What’s he doing the rest of the time?
Drawing up options for Folaus next double sabbatical, rainbow warrior, netball coaching, Flexi-semi-hard contract?
I believe his role is largely as a manager of all the high performance programs and their staff e.g. Wallabies, 7s, U20 etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

his role was touted as being far more than just setting up a coaching advisory panel...
I will paraphrase off memory, but his job was to lead the elite coaching program.

So Whitaker managers Kafer who managers the coaches..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are people surprised that organisations have general managers that are responsible for a division within the organisation?

T

TOCC

Sorry, I’ve tread on toes here it seems, I’m not questioning you.

Rather the ARU, who have who give just cause for people to question their actions and organisation during 2015-2017

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Are people surprised that organisations have general managers that are responsible for a division within the organisation?
BH people aren't surprised by it but it generally means that often there is too many bloody chiefs and not enough Indians. Hence there's a lot of things that get lost in translation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry, I’ve tread on toes here it seems, I’m not questioning you.

Rather the ARU, who have who give just cause for people to question their actions and organisation during 2015-2017

BH people aren't surprised by it but it generally means that often there is too many bloody chiefs and not enough Indians. Hence there's a lot of things that get lost in translation.

I couldn't care less. I'm just a little surprised that people think that somehow an organisation with a substantial number of employees wouldn't have managers.

If you can come up with an organisation structure that doesn't involve managers you could make millions working for a management consultant.

T

TOCC

I couldn't care less. I'm just a little surprised that people think that somehow an organisation with a substantial number of employees wouldn't have managers.

If you can come up with an organisation structure that doesn't involve managers you could make millions working for a management consultant.

BH it doesn't have to be one extreme or the other, you've jumped to the conclusion that my comments are suggesting the RA shouldn't have any managers at all... No, thats not the case, however I still think RA is a bloated beast full of people with little effective output and people filling roles with duplication of efforts.

ARU have given just cause for people to question their ability and effectiveness, and for a long time people have questioned and will continue to question the bloated corporate and administration costs of Rugby Australia.

In 2016 the ARU spent $15million on 'corporate expenses' and a further $4million on 'commissioning' expenses, this is against revenue of $128million. Conversely, NZRU who posted annual revenue of $161million spent $10million on Administration.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Let's just put this in context, this organisations last CEO's idea of efficiency was to create additional senior management positions that reported directly to him.
The widespread cynicism as to the efficacy of certain roles are based on years of poor results and mismanagement

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Organisation structures are always potentially controversial.

I recall many years ago an organisational development expert saying that the Catholic Church, the biggest and richest organisation in the world, had the most efficient and effective organisation charts of any large corporation. Six layers:

The Pope.
Cardinals.
Archbishops
Bishops.
Priests.
Laity.

Some much smaller organisations have a dozen, twenty, maybe more.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Andy Friend won't have his Aussie 7s contract renewed. Finishes up in June.

New coach announced on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk