• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
After a week or so Foley is probably the worst performing Oz 10 in Super Rugby. Let’s see how the next month or so pans out before anointing a successor. It’s great that we have a few others putting up their hands.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Greg Martin said on the Fox Rugby Podcast last year that Richard Graham and the coaches would lay out the game plan to the Reds players, but Quade didn't want a bar of it and wanted teammates to follow him despite Graham being the coach.

The stories in the last few years; when Thorny came in in 2015, that’s when Quade, Slips (James Slipper) was captain that year, the coaches would lay down the law, (former coach) Richard Graham would say ‘we’re going this, this and this’ and as soon as they’d walk away Quade would recalibrate the game-plan, change everything,” Martin said.

Yet Coopers previous coach that actually achieved something at the club said, they would give Quade loose plans on how they want to play and he'd go out and try to execute in that fashion.

Reading between both extremes and knowing how political rumours can get in Queensland rugby, don't you think the truth actually lies somewhere in between......I don't for a second doubt Quade didn't play to a rigid system, although I don't think Richard Graham knew how to implement a system conducive to winning rugby either.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Yet Coopers previous coach that actually achieved something at the club said, they would give Quade loose plans on how they want to play and he'd go out and try to execute in that fashion.

Reading between both extremes and knowing how political rumours can get in Queensland rugby, don't you think the truth actually lies somewhere in between..I don't for a second doubt Quade didn't play to a rigid system, although I don't think Richard Graham knew how to implement a system conducive to winning rugby either.

What I think is important is that no player should individually go behind the head coach's back about game plan. It sends really mixed messages to teammates. To be a good super rugby team Brad Thorn seems to have taken this approach with Quade and I think that our national team would be well advised to follow suit.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Quade was never the same player he was after his knee injury, Quade used to have an absolutely deadly step and jink but following that injury he never really regained it. The step was part of his ability to draw in defenders, make space for runners and buy him time to offload. Following that knee injury I don't think he ever got back to where he was, other parts of his game like his composure and long pass have improved since, but after the knee injury stripped him of his step I think he needed to focus on other parts of his game like tactical kicking to offset the loss of his step.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Quade was never the same player he was after his knee injury, Quade used to have an absolutely deadly step and jink but following that injury he never really regained it. The step was part of his ability to draw in defenders, make space for runners and buy him time to offload. Following that knee injury I don't think he ever got back to where he was, other parts of his game like his composure and long pass have improved since, but after the knee injury stripped him of his step I think he needed to focus on other parts of his game like tactical kicking to offset the loss of his step.
A better passing game and a more effective tactical kicking game sound like more useful skills for a test 10 than a step.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No Quade has not fully regained his mobility since injury. Still it has been nice to see the trademark Quade step and spin back.

He hopefully is focussed on Super at this point but plenty of us are very happy to see him back.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He seems to have been a good club man last season. So he deserves a bit of support, I reckon.

Cannot see him playing in the national team again, though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A better passing game and a more effective tactical kicking game sound like more useful skills for a test 10 than a step.

Nothing wrong with Quades passing game, not to say there isn’t room to improve but it’s definelty not a weakness.
Tackling, well yes that’s been discussed ad nauseum the past 10 years..

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Nothing wrong with Quades passing game, not to say there isn’t room to improve but it’s definelty not a weakness.
Tackling, well yes that’s been discussed ad nauseum the past 10 years..

It has, but his defence is no worse than Beale, who seems to be locked in

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Exactly, no way Beale would be 12.

You'd have

Kerevi/Kuridrani
Kerevi/Petaia
To'omua/Kuridrani

as centre combinations for Quade. If Beale is starting (not in my team he's not until he's skinny and fit and fast again), he's at 15 with Folau on the right wing and Banks on the left, giving us the second-wave playmaking option out the back.

If not, he's off the bench.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Probably best shift this to the World Cup thread, or maybe we create a new Wallabies 2019 thread.

This one is best left for discussion of RA and game management matters.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Does Foxtel have a rugby show anymore?

I think it's called 'Kick Off' and 'Kick On' and is before (5pm) and after (9.30pm) games on Friday.

There's also a super rugby roundup show but it's not the format of previous rugby shows, just reviews the specific games with a bit of commentary after and then discusses next week's fixtures.