• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Both had a background in contact sports. Isles was All American high school footballer or something the like and Baker signed for the Philadelphia Eagles and played arena football. Both were used to taking contact or evading players under pressure.

I get your point tho, you can upskill with a talent base
Didnt go so well for Bolt

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bolt wanting to attempt a career in football because he was a fan, is a little different to two former high caliber American football prospects attempting rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also, Usain Bolt was 31 or 32 when he tried to make that transition and the experiment lasted a few months.

You'd also think that rugby 7s is a much easier sport to showcase incredible speed than in football. .

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Chairman Clyne's comments are already preparing everybody for a bad 2019 financial result.

I'm interested to see how much of the $5.2 million 2018 surplus by the RA is due to pre-payments for the Bled Cup games in 2019?

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Financials are interesting.

Would fire who is managing the treasury though

Corp costs are ridiculously high ; loads of snouts in the trough it seems.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If RA hadn't taken down all of the old annual reports this year we could have gone back and had a look at how much. AngryEmoji

Pretty much all of the 2003 world cup surplus disappeared on the ARC, and the losses in 2007, 2011 and 2015.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In 2015 Rugby Australia (then ARU) had an operating loss of just under $7m. They received almost $19m from World Rugby but that didn't make up for the lost broadcast, matchday and sponsorship revenue from not hosting as many games.

Financials are interesting.

Would fire who is managing the treasury though

Corp costs are ridiculously high ; loads of snouts in the trough it seems.

Corporate costs are a long way down from where they were a few years ago. There has been significant improvement there. It was out of control during the John O'Neill years.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Pretty much all of the 2003 world cup surplus disappeared on the ARC, and the losses in 2007, 2011 and 2015.
That's not fully accurate. Some non-RWC years hemorrhaged as well to drain the $30+ million. JON himself also took more out of the game for his own remuneration over his time than the ARC did.

If RA hadn't taken down all of the old annual reports this year we could have gone back and had a look at how much. AngryEmoji

My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!

Just look into these puppy dog eyes … there wasn't enough room on the website and that's honest truth, Guv.

d2zXmFwm.jpg

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The RA website only had the cut-down versions of the reports anyway, for mug punners

DISCLAIMER:​
"This consise report cannot be expected to provide a full understanding of the financial position, performance or activities of the entity."​
… reports for previous financial years may be made available upon receipt of an application in writing.

Please ensure your full name and return mailing address is provided together with your reasons for requesting each report, and enclose a non-refundable payment of $45 per document to cover the costs of printing to allow the Australian Rugby Union to consider your application.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You'd have to think the High Performance Unit is under extreme pressure.

This from the Annual Report, regarding strategic goals:

RA.JPG

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems like a pretty ridiculous set of goals to set. Sure they should all be goals but if you set your benchmarks that high (relative to prior performance) you'll never get close to achieving them and realistically can't then use them to evaluate performance reasonably.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Seems like a pretty ridiculous set of goals to set. Sure they should all be goals but if you set your benchmarks that high (relative to prior performance) you'll never get close to achieving them and realistically can't then use them to evaluate performance reasonably.
True.
But imagine the reaction if the goals were realistic (and thus disappointing)
Everyone would be looking for their pitchforks

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
True.
But imagine the reaction if the goals were realistic (and thus disappointing)
Everyone would be looking for their pitchforks

I think a realistic set of goals (based on the above) that also wouldn't be aiming too low:

Wallabies: win June series or Bledisloe Cup
Mens Sevens: Win one of three events, make final in another
Womens Sevens: Win two of three events, make semi finals in other
Wallaroos: win a test against NZ
Super Rugby: two teams make finals. One team makes grand final

Now none of those would have been achieved but in my opinion they're far more realistic and can then be better used for performance review and benchmarking.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chairman Clyne's comments are already preparing everybody for a bad 2019 financial result.

I'm interested to see how much of the $5.2 million 2018 surplus by the RA is due to pre-payments for the Bled Cup games in 2019?

There's a deferred revenue there of $8M in there as a current liability.

@braveheart, would that be where something like that would sit?