• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting to hear last night that the Fox guys were saying Taniela was close to resigning with both the Reds and Australian rugby. Seems to go against the notion that the RA has a mutiny on its hands with the PI members.

(I wasn't too sure if this discussion was a RA or Izzy Folau discussion so went with the former).

Mate, I have a heart condition which leaps to the fore when I see that "Taniela was close to resigning"
"Re-signing" would help me watch a lot more rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Glad Australian Rugby has changed this position towards contract negotiations, in years gone by they negotiated 2 maybe 3 years contracts and refused to offer upgrades mid-contract or re-sign until final year of a player contract, which is contrary to what other codes are doing, and seemingly best practice to reward performance.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I think it would wise for Rugby Australia to ensure that they have at least one qualified lawyer sitting on their Board.

This would be a two stage process with the next most important Board member to appoint being qualified in media, PR and broadcast rights.

Lovely to have a orthopedic surgeon, real estate agent, paper merchant, cruise company CEO, ex Microsoft employee, and an ex banker they just don't bring a whole lot to the table as events over recent years has shown.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
According to Roy Morgan, SOCCER is by far the most popular football code in terms of participants, they have almost 10 times the number that we have.

Do you think that might be a factor when politicians decide to hand out money?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
According to Roy Morgan, SOCCER is by far the most popular football code in terms of participants, they have almost 10 times the number that we have.

$15m Funding committed to Ballymore. Have a look in the Ballymore redevelopment thread. Per Capita win!

Yeah but they haven't got a bumbling bunch of idiots running the show either. Maybe that's the difference.
you should see what the people on green and gold soccer equivalent think about the management of soccer in this country :)

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The simple fact is for the game to get more funding it has to become more popular within the country, the question is why has it not done so for the last 15 years, and what are they proposing in the future to change this. What will dumping Raelene Castle achieve if nothing changes.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Do you think that might be a factor when politicians decide to hand out money?

It is also played nation wide and I would assume in every school which allows funding to go everywhere

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Soccer is safe, relatively. 90% of the reason why its more popular. You can play it from a younger age and to an older age.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think we can really complain about missing out on Government funds. Here in NSW we are getting:

- 2 new stadiums and one renovated stadium
- A new HQ funded mainly by Government
- A new centre of excellence for the Tahs
- Event funding for the Bledisloe and Sydney Sevens
- Upgrades at Woollahra Oval

And that's just off the top of my head. Add in to that ASC funding for our Olympic Sevens program and event funding from other States and you could come to the conclusion that Government is almost underwriting our whole game.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah but they haven't got a bumbling bunch of idiots running the show either. Maybe that's the difference.

If anything soccer has a bigger bunch of idiots.

Soccer is successful because of the international (that is, non Australian) game whereas there is minimal interest in non-Australian Rugby in Australia

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think we can really complain about missing out on Government funds. Here in NSW we are getting:

And that's just off the top of my head. Add in to that ASC funding for our Olympic Sevens program and event funding from other States and you could come to the conclusion that Government is almost underwriting our whole game.
We need outrage not sense.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

what 'ave they ever done for us?