• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
According to Roy Morgan, SOCCER is by far the most popular football code in terms of participants, they have almost 10 times the number that we have.

Do you think that might be a factor when politicians decide to hand out money?

Actually the report claimed that about 1.48 million Australians play soccer and .25 million play rugby union. That's one sixth by my maths, not almost 10 times.
And, fyi, my point was not to get into a discussion about whether we are more or less worthy of government grants, but that the Soccer administration has been successful in its lobbying for money and we (Raelene and co) have failed again

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
$15m Funding committed to Ballymore. Have a look in the Ballymore redevelopment thread. Per Capita win!

you should see what the people on green and gold soccer equivalent think about the management of soccer in this country :)

nice for people of Ballymore, but that is a stadium yes? What about some gov funding for grass roots funding? ACROSS Australia? That really is my point. Oh that's right, RA only need funds for big new stadiums in Bris and Syd cos we are shrinking to greatness

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't think we can really complain about missing out on Government funds. Here in NSW we are getting:

- 2 new stadiums and one renovated stadium
- A new HQ funded mainly by Government
- A new centre of excellence for the Tahs
- Event funding for the Bledisloe and Sydney Sevens
- Upgrades at Woollahra Oval

And that's just off the top of my head. Add in to that ASC funding for our Olympic Sevens program and event funding from other States and you could come to the conclusion that Government is almost underwriting our whole game.

good for NSW - just thought Rugby AUSTRALIA would bat for all of Australia not just Sydney

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
nice for people of Ballymore, but that is a stadium yes? What about some gov funding for grass roots funding? ACROSS Australia? That really is my point. Oh that's right, RA only need funds for big new stadiums in Bris and Syd cos we are shrinking to greatness
You're on a bit of a crusade here so good luck to you but Ballymore is crippling the QRU at the moment.

The absolute best thing that could happen for rugby in Queensland is taking that millstone from around the QRU's neck.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Geez, a few posts on a social media forum to clarify my point and now I on a crusade - no, not on a crusade, maybe I should just shut up again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

From what I have read, all this soccer funding is also upgrades of facilities at various levels. It is not a direct injection of cash to grassroots clubs/participants.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If the grassroots needs funding, the game is dying. It just seems so frigging obvious to me. If the game is not innately popular enough to attract kids in particular to play it for fun, if it is not popular enough for teenagers to play it, at school or on weekends, ditto for adults; if it is not popular enough to attract spectators, supporters, viewers, and particularly unpaid volunteers, without needing outside funding, then it is dying.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Then you can’t remember the dynamics around how/why/what sports kids play.

Lots of kids follow their mates into a sport, many are easily influenced, a couple of sessions at school with some giveaways and they are as keen as mustard.
If all your opposition are doing those things, and you are not.
If all the opposition are subsidising rego fees/gear, and you don’t.
Then you will be left with only the diehards.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I read somewhere that many of the private schools in Sydney are now fielding multiple senior AFL teams. Is this accurate? It's one thing for AFL to chip away at the community level but it's a worry when it's happening inside the main nurseries for the sport.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I read somewhere that many of the private schools in Sydney are now fielding multiple senior AFL teams. Is this accurate? It's one thing for AFL to chip away at the community level but it's a worry when it's happening inside the main nurseries for the sport.
Some of the big Brisbane GPS schools have been playing AFL since at least the mid-90s. Teams are usually packed full of rugby players having a kick for another sport in addition to cricket/rowing season

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
good for NSW - just thought Rugby AUSTRALIA would bat for all of Australia not just Sydney

I only listed those because I am from NSW and it's what I know. I also know the Victorian Government has made a big cash commitment to RA for events and to support the Rebels, I believe.

But don't let me get in the way of your preconceived ideas.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I only listed those because I am from NSW and it's what I know. I also know the Victorian Government has made a big cash commitment to RA for events and to support the Rebels, I believe.

But don't let me get in the way of your preconceived ideas.

The Victorian gov did make a big cash commitment to the RA in exchange for Melbourne hosting some international games in the future. RA were under no obligation to pump that money into grass roots funding to grow the game and indeed, by all accounts they used it to pay their CEO $800,000 pa. Supporting the Rebels is not grass root rugby, it is the professional franchise.
You are insulting when you suggest that I have preconceived ideas.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
RA were under no obligation to pump that money into grass roots funding to grow the game and indeed, by all accounts they used it to pay their CEO $800,000 pa. .

'By all accounts' - what does that even mean? You're suggesting they used the Vic Government cash to pay their CEO?

That's a very odd way to analyse the finances of RA, not to mention just being incorrect.

The fact is that Government cash may not be for the express purposes of grassroots development, but it certainly frees up money to do just that. We'd be pretty rooted without it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No idea if the LNP backed it, but ALP had an election promise of $1m for an upgrade at Melbourne RUFC. http://melbournerugby.com.au/alp-sports-facilities-funding-package-2019-higgins/

Brimbank Rugby Club $1.4m to upgrade their pavillion (this is LGA funding but very often the pork barrelling at election times ends up massively double counting money that has already been promised by state and local government (or already promised by the Feds).
https://www.buzz.brimbank.vic.gov.au/14m-arthur-beachley-reserve-sports-pavilion-complete/

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
No idea if the LNP backed it, but ALP had an election promise of $1m for an upgrade at Melbourne RUFC. http://melbournerugby.com.au/alp-sports-facilities-funding-package-2019-higgins/

Haven't seen anything that suggests the LNP support it. it's a good idea, but I hope they add car parking to the to-do list. Unless you've got the icebreakger game, you never get a parking spot remotly close to the ground.

I'd also use money to install auto gun turrets, trained to elimiate selfish people who thing it's OK for their Dog to take a massive dump on the pitch RIGHT BEFORE A FULL DAY OF RUGBY!!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Haven't seen anything that suggests the LNP support it. it's a good idea, but I hope they add car parking to the to-do list. Unless you've got the icebreakger game, you never get a parking spot remotly close to the ground.

I'd also use money to install auto gun turrets, trained to elimiate selfish people who thing it's OK for their Dog to take a massive dump on the pitch RIGHT BEFORE A FULL DAY OF RUGBY!!

I find MU one of the easiest grounds to get to by PT, in between a few tram lines, next to the station, easy easy.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Victorian gov did make a big cash commitment to the RA in exchange for Melbourne hosting some international games in the future. RA were under no obligation to pump that money into grass roots funding to grow the game and indeed, by all accounts they used it to pay their CEO $800,000 pa. Supporting the Rebels is not grass root rugby, it is the professional franchise.
You are insulting when you suggest that I have preconceived ideas.

What proof do you have that it was used for that purpose. Any govt funding would be via a contract/agreement and go through a bureaucratic process. There would be outputs/milestones attached to that money. That contract would be listed publicly because it’s above $100K.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
What proof do you have that it was used for that purpose. Any govt funding would be via a contract/agreement and go through a bureaucratic process. There would be outputs/milestones attached to that money. That contract would be listed publicly because it’s above $100K.

I haven't been able to find it listed publicly. I am just going on what the newspapers wrote at the time. The output/milestone attached to that money is that an international test or tests will be played in Melbourne in the future. Other than that, spend it how you wish.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
26 October, 2017

The Victorian Government has announced a massive new deal that will bring more rugby union tests to Melbourne and grow the game at grassroots level right across the state.
That’s great news for Fountain Gate Secondary College Rugby Academy who has scored $500,000 to upgrade one of its rugby pitches.

With more than 100 students in Fountain Gate’s Rugby Academy program, this upgrade will help cater for growth and deliver the playing and training facilities our talented athletes need to become Victoria’s next rugby great.

Today’s announcement also builds on the Victorian Government’s $200,000 commitment to upgrade the Academy’s strength and conditioning room.

https://sport.vic.gov.au/news-media/news/victorian-government-lands-massive-rugby-union-deal