• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wilson

David Codey (61)
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...UEjtLj9tlJP1SLIH5g4HUH5DrhpzTxWkMxZ9tPN2o5tYQ

Fox Sports suggesting that there is a review underway into the Giteau rule and potentially reducing either the number of caps required, the service period in Australian rugby or both.

Would seem pretty likely that some change will happen.

Wouldn't mind a point system where you had to get X number of points to be eligible. Points made up of test and super caps (test caps worth more) so long serving super players with fewer wallabies caps are still available after leaving.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Wouldn't mind a point system where you had to get X number of points to be eligible. Points made up of test and super caps (test caps worth more) so long serving super players with fewer wallabies caps are still available after leaving.

That'd be the next best solution. Say you need 100 points to remain eligible with Super Rugby caps worth 2/3 points each and Tests worth 5/6.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
15 Tom Banks
14 Taqele Nairavoro
13 Samu Kerevi
12 James O'Connor
11 Marika Koroibete
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Isi Naisirani
7 Michael Hooper
6 Scott Fardy
5 Adam Coleman
4 Izack Rodda
3 Allan Ala'alatoa
2 Tolu Latu
1 James Slipper

16 James Hanson
17 Scott Slipper
18 Taniela Tupou
19 Will Skelton
20 Liam Gill
21 Ben Meehan
22 Duncan Paia'aua
23 Sefa Naivalu

dru

Tim Horan (67)
15 Tom Banks
14 Taqele Nairavoro
13 Samu Kerevi
12 James O'Connor
11 Marika Koroibete
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Isi Naisirani
7 Michael Hooper
6 Scott Fardy
5 Adam Coleman
4 Izack Rodda
3 Allan Ala'alatoa
2 Tolu Latu
1 James Slipper

16 James Hanson
17 Scott Slipper
18 Taniela Tupou
19 Will Skelton
20 Liam Gill
21 Ben Meehan
22 Duncan Paia'aua
23 Sefa Naivalu

Quade, Genia, Fardy, Hanson, Skelton, Gill, Meehan, Paia'ua.

Like the team pending form in Europe. For what it's worth I'd put Stewart ahead of Duncan.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Breaking: the three nominees for vacant Rugby Australia board positions are Peter Wiggs, Brett Godfrey and Daniel Herbert

Reactions: mst

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Well naturally as a jeeps man Herbie jnr is an awesome candidate.

In all seriousness, he's done well in the business world, has close ties with and knows the challenges around club rugby and is also an ex QLD and Australia rep so also has a deep understanding of the professional game. Great choice for me.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well naturally as a jeeps man Herbie jnr is an awesome candidate.

In all seriousness, he's done well in the business world, has close ties with and knows the challenges around club rugby and is also an ex QLD and Australia rep so also has a deep understanding of the professional game. Great choice for me.

He also held a senior exec role in the QRU in the 'post glory' much tougher years when Graham was Reds HC, etc.

To me this is a net positive in that he would fully understand what is required to make a State RU successful and how they can quickly become unsuccessful and what that leads to. He will surely grasp the 'viability and non-viability' models' for pro rugby teams and franchises and this is a badly needed perspective on the RA board.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He also held a senior exec role in the QRU in the 'post glory' much tougher years when Graham was Reds HC, etc.

To me this is a net positive in that he would fully understand what is required to make a State RU successful and how they can quickly become unsuccessful and what that leads to. He will surely grasp the 'viability and non-viability' models' for pro rugby teams and franchises and this is a badly needed perspective on the RA board.

and pre-years when he was the Mr fix it filling a number of roles as the organisation fell apart around him. And the glory years.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It will be interesting to see what they bring to the table. I believe good choices and some new perspectives.

As someone who has been fiercely critical of most RA directors and past RA boards, their inappropriate competencies and dubious motivations all leading to their disastrous oversight of the code in this country, I (cautiously) welcome these new directors.

I have commented positively above Herbert. Re the other two, I really like how both have, in very different ways, been entrepreneurs for positive business growth and change, have done new things, have innovated and who understand media. Neither appear to be the pro networking types hunting prestige positions more than the giving of real substance and the making of real change. Neither seem bound by or to status quo thinking.

Most importantly, neither are 'high profile bankers' - the types that our rugby elite boards and establishment have been obsessed with for decades to the huge detriment of real leadership competence for the code. Australian senior bankers are rarely experienced innovators and change agents; rather they are typically pro networkers whose core skills lie in internal politics and internecine manoeuvre.

Reactions: mst

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Directors have very specific responsibilities under Australian corporate law. The management runs the corporation, the board provides oversight, ensures compliance with legal requirements, and protects the interests of the shareholders.

If directors start interfering in the running of the corporation, disaster can follow. Incidentally, a good friend of mine was Chairman of the ARU for a few years. An acquaintance of mine had a son who was a pretty well regarded rugby league player at the time, and he mentioned to me that he was open to a possible offer from our code. I rang my buddy, the Chairman, and he told me that he, and the other directors, were at pains not to interfere in executive decisions. Which is, of course, as it should be, albeit this was a pretty trivial matter. I hope it is still the case, and always will be.

He was certainly not a banker incidentally. He had a long career in club rugby, and played 20 or so internationals.

Speaking of your favourite whipping boys, John O'Neill was a banker, and did a pretty good job for us. He might have been a pretty good Chair, if he had been willing to take it on. But he wanted to be Executive Chair, which would have meant we had a one horse show. The potential for disaster is obvious.

Gail Kelly was a banker, and I think most people would say that she would have been a brilliant Chairperson for us.

Let's get the best executives we can, and give them the space and resources to innovate, without having directors looking over their shoulders and second-guessing them.

Networking is an important part of the unwritten responsibilities of a director, incidentally. Particularly in a sport like ours that relies heavily on corporate support.

As a final point. David Clarke, a banker, put his hand in his pocket and pulled out $7 million I think it was to save NSW rugby after the Ken Elphick scandal.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When you consider:

• The most recent chair was a former big 4 bank CEO.
  • He presided over some pretty unsavoury moments in Australian Rugby and has lost all goodwill with pretty much the entirety of the fanbase.
  • The banking royal commission is still pretty fresh in people's minds which has made the banks/bankers even less popular than usual.
We'd be fucking stupid to appoint a former banker as our next Chairperson.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
@wamberal

Re JO'N, the ex-banker you stated did a really good job for the ARU.

I wonder, do you mean, JO'N Reign I or Reign II?

Reign I - to me, this is quite hard to assess objectively. JO'N in I came in when all the stars for Australian rugby's emerging pro game were aligned positively in terms of player stocks, the pro era just starting, News Corp wanting to enter and build its Pay TV franchise, a strong amateur base in the code based around some fine coaching in many of its ranks, and so on. JO'N did bring sound professional leadership skills to the code and knew how to build and exploit the Wallaby brand in that period, so it's probably fair to assess his Reign I as a ~ a 7/10 overall. Would have been higher IMO if he'd left the ARU is a state of strength overall, from board down, that did not require or allow him to be manoeuvred back in as CEO only a few years later for Reign II.

Reign II - on any objective basis, 2/10. Left the code in serious financial trouble, with the $s gains from RWC 2003 all gone, and, to add insult to injury, arranged or manipulated such a docile and compliant ARU board that it agreed in such dire circumstances a $2m+ pay out to him on departure that was grossly financially irresponsible and negligent.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
When you consider:

• The most recent chair was a former big 4 bank CEO.
  • He presided over some pretty unsavoury moments in Australian Rugby and has lost all goodwill with pretty much the entirety of the fanbase.
  • The banking royal commission is still pretty fresh in people's minds which has made the banks/bankers even less popular than usual.
We'd be fucking stupid to appoint a former banker as our next Chairperson.

True BH. And I'd be interested to know what passionate Tahs fans think of the job yet another 'high profile banker' Roger Davis has done as Chairman of the NSWRU.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Wamberal, there are a couple of additional responsibilities for the board beyond those you mention. Importantly, the Board appoints the CEO, and the CEO reports to and is responsible to the board. Secondly, the board, with the assistance of senior management, sets the overall strategy. It is then up to the CEO and his team to implement that strategy. Finally, the board does make what we might call major corporate decisions, like take-overs and acquisitions, share buy-backs etc. Transferred to our game that would include things like cutting the Force, and agreeing to the shape of Super Rugby from 2021 on.

To BH's point, given that, as Wamberal correctly stated, governance is a board responsibility, I would suggest that automatically rules out big bank CEO's.