• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Well, some of Raelene's greatest hits are:

- Sacking Israel Folau for non-rugby related reasons and having to pay him a seven-figure settlement as a result;
- Telling Foxtel to walk after they offered the same money for less content, leaving rugby the only major sport without a broadcast partner;
- Not presenting any audited financial statements, leaving stakeholders to speculate as to the true financial position of Australian rugby; and
- Oh, yeah - presiding over the worst run of Wallabies results in recent history.

Add to that she apparently only got the job because a) Cameron Clyne knew her, and b) they needed a woman on the board to make up the numbers, and I'd say her departure is well due.

Of course there's no guarantee that whoever replaces her will be better, but at the very least they've got to go through a better process than the one that appointed her.

She was hired by an external recruitment process, Fox didnt offer the same money, she didn't show the statements because they hadn't been fully signed off yet..

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Distinguished has always been a curious word for me. In and of itself there's nothing wrong with it, but it consistently seems to be used when describing that someone with impressive achievements and manner of presentation should have some default high level of respect in an area, at best, tangentially related to their own expertise.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah, there's a reason I haven't been posting much on this thread lately. Within a few minutes of criticizing Castle, and I'm a retarded idiot who's talking bullshit.

And of course, any printed criticism is obviously Newscorp propaganda and is probably motivated by sexism too.

Or maybe - just maybe - ten distinguished former Wallaby captains and a host of experienced sports journalists have a point and everyone who's been singing Castle's praises for years on here has been under a certain level of denial.

Just a thought.

Again, for the the record, I was a Castle sceptic.

but please, explain to me how Izzy was her fault?
i thought it was he that broke his word and breeched his contract?

your bagging her for testing the market,and not taking Foxtel's first offer?
i hope your Mrs does the negotiations for all major family purchases.....

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)

Financials were for FYE DECEMBER not March
Broadcast deal was supposed to be completed 2019 not March
Israel was 2019 not March
Hello Derpus?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That smacks of typical leftie wankery if you dont agree with some one you insult them. Really, is that the best you can do?Who is the real fool, matey?
So being factually incorrect is a valid position to hold now? Fuck me certain hard right people have truly taken total leave of their senses

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Stopped reading after this because it's factually incorrect and you are clearly retarded.

Facts are few and far between on a website with anonymous posters.

The one fact that will put people in their place is will she be considered for the NRL CEO job that will be testament to her achievements at Rugby Australia and her previous role being a NRL Club CEO.

That will be factual not an individuals opinion be they retarded or some other insult.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That smacks of typical leftie wankery if you dont agree with some one you insult them. Really, is that the best you can do?Who is the real fool, matey?

Quiet please the adults are talking, and we're talking with capital letters and proper grammar and neat typing.

Back to your colouring book.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
So being factually incorrect is a valid position to hold now? Fuck me certain hard right people have truly taken total leave of their senses

Well the post was not factually incorrect. and if you disagree with some ones position it is leftie wankery to then state that....

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I have no intention of re-visiting the Folau saga.
The financials can't be released until they're audited. Have you ever been a director?
Fox did NOT offer the same money, they offered substantially less.
How, in any stretch of the imagination, could Castle have changed the performance of the Wallabies?
You can (probably justifiably) call me a lot of names, but no-one who knows me would ever call me a leftie! Ask boyo on the Covid thread, he thinks I'm Donald Trump!

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
The financials can't be released until they're audited. Have you ever been a director?
How, in any stretch of the imagination, could Castle have changed the performance of the Wallabies?
You can (probably justifiably) call me a lot of names, but no-one who knows me would ever call me a leftie! Ask boyo on the Covid thread, he thinks I'm Donald Trump!

Bingo

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)

NO, have you, matey? but why haven't they been signed off? It isn't because of COVID and that was the previous comment

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Again, for the the record, I was a Castle sceptic.

but please, explain to me how Izzy was her fault?
i thought it was he that broke his word and breeched his contract?

your bagging her for testing the market,and not taking Foxtel's first offer?
i hope your Mrs does the negotiations for all major family purchases...

The fact that Folau was awarded millions in damages rather suggests that RA was in the wrong.

Honestly, if Castle had just come out with a statement saying that RA didn't agree with his comments but they respected his right to free speech and he wouldn't be sacked, I think the whole controversy would have blown over as soon as the Twitterati moved on to the next thought criminal. In fact, she and the board would probably have won the respect of a great many people for standing up for Folau's freedoms and enhanced the game's reputation.

And then you know what would have happened? We'd have had a stronger team to take to the World Cup. We might have, say, beaten Wales and advanced further in the tournament with an easier path. That level of success might then have spurred further interest in the game domestically ...

But we'll never know now. Castle went down the path of appeasing the outrage brigade, cost the sport millions of dollars, and harmed the code's reputation in the process among a great number of casual sports fans.

Oh well.

As for the broadcast rights, I'm not saying that she shouldn't have tried to negotiate but the fact that the game still doesn't have a broadcast partner after all these months is surely an indictment. It was a very generous offer under the circumstances (ie less Australian teams on the table compared to the last negotiation) and frankly I think she had a pretty delusional view of just how popular rugby is in the current environment.

Then again, I think giving herself a 72% mark is pretty delusional in itself. Apparently I'm not the only one (although that report was carried by Newcorp, so no doubt plenty of people here will reflexively dismiss it).

With all that said, thank you for keeping a civil tone. It's very much appreciated.

Micheal, Derpus, you can both get stuffed.