• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The fact that Folau was awarded millions in damages rather suggests that RA was in the wrong.

Honestly, if Castle had just come out with a statement saying that RA didn't agree with his comments but they respected his right to free speech and he wouldn't be sacked, I think the whole controversy would have blown over as soon as the Twitterati moved on to the next thought criminal. In fact, she and the board would probably have won the respect of a great many people for standing up for Folau's freedoms and enhanced the game's reputation.

And then you know what would have happened? We'd have had a stronger team to take to the World Cup. We might have, say, beaten Wales and advanced further in the tournament with an easier path. That level of success might then have spurred further interest in the game domestically .

But we'll never know now. Castle went down the path of appeasing the outrage brigade, cost the sport millions of dollars, and harmed the code's reputation in the process among a great number of casual sports fans.

Oh well.

As for the broadcast rights, I'm not saying that she shouldn't have tried to negotiate but the fact that the game still doesn't have a broadcast partner after all these months is surely an indictment. It was a very generous offer under the circumstances (ie less Australian teams on the table compared to the last negotiation) and frankly I think she had a pretty delusional view of just how popular rugby is in the current environment.

Then again, I think giving herself a 72% mark is pretty delusional in itself. Apparently I'm not the only one (although that report was carried by Newcorp, so no doubt plenty of people here will reflexively dismiss it).

With all that said, thank you for keeping a civil tone. It's very much appreciated.

Micheal, Derpus, you can both get stuffed.
Fuck off with Folau. Just fuck right off. Its all been said. Gloat somewhere else.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
ahh no, its all true matey
where's the financials?
where's the broadcast deal?
where's Israel?
What a load of drivel! We all know there were financial issues pre-existing Castle's tenure. Which you conveniently ignore. We know the broadcast deal is fraught, but you act like some "good rugby bloke" is going to find gold in a pile of turds in that sector right now. Fox have been driving the price down, down, down as hard as they can. We know where Folau is, and he got himself there, with a payout ensured by her predecessor. As for the results, we just (almost) got a great coaching team to try to turn things around - which is likely to go down the shitter too. After several previous bosses oversaw the systematic decay in coaching structures in Aus rugby for years.
So, you're full of shite.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well the post was not factually incorrect. and if you disagree with some ones position it is leftie wankery to then state that..
Yes it was mate.

And seriously cut the lEfTiE wAnKeRy bullshit. Someone's political affiliation =/= whether they insult people who disagree with them or not.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
The fact that Folau was awarded millions in damages rather suggests that RA was in the wrong.

Honestly, if Castle had just come out with a statement saying that RA didn't agree with his comments but they respected his right to free speech and he wouldn't be sacked, I think the whole controversy would have blown over as soon as the Twitterati moved on to the next thought criminal. In fact, she and the board would probably have won the respect of a great many people for standing up for Folau's freedoms and enhanced the game's reputation.

Nope, they would have lost their major sponsors and ended up in a worse position.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
What a load of drivel! We all know there were financial issues pre-existing Castle's tenure. Which you conveniently ignore. We know the broadcast deal is fraught, but you act like some "good rugby bloke" is going to find gold in a pile of turds in that sector right now. Fox have been driving the price down, down, down as hard as they can. We know where Folau is, and he got himself there, with a payout ensured by her predecessor. As for the results, we just (almost) got a great coaching team to try to turn things around - which is likely to go down the shitter too. After several previous bosses oversaw the systematic decay in coaching structures in Aus rugby for years.
So, you're full of shite.

but you do not acknowledge that the financials should have been signed off before the COVId crisis - now you spin the financial issues into pre-existing situation. Facts is facts matey. THe financials which represent the position of the organisation should have been signed off regardless of any pre-existing situation. Why havent the auditors signed off on them? Forget about the rest of it, but we can continue if you want to.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
but you do not acknowledge that the financials should have been signed off before the COVId crisis - now you spin the financial issues into pre-existing situation. Facts is facts matey. THe financials which represent the position of the organisation should have been signed off regardless of any pre-existing situation. Why havent the auditors signed off on them? Forget about the rest of it, but we can continue if you want to.
OK, stop fucking calling me matey, as I certainly am not.
And the pre-existing financial issues are not spin, they are a fact. Revenues have been down and falling for some time. So they are relevant when something like COVID-19 drops on your business.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
When do our players have their day of reckoning? We pay way over the odds in the hope that they don’t shoot through OS but collectively they have won nothing for over a decade.

It’s a cozy cartel of inflated prices OPEC can only dream of

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
As much as we should always respect those who have been in the game for a long time, played the game at a high level or have extensive links to the game, I sometimes wish it was possible to have an entire new board and leadership who have no links and no favours owed to anyone who could come in and shape the game for the future.

I fear the game will never progress unless people are willing to give up their egos and actually think of the sport.

I was a long suffering Rabbitohs fan for many years, and to me rugby is the equivalent of a George Piggins run club prior to Russell Crowe becoming involved.

Whilst we pretend that we love a game, we have to accept that we are now in love with a business.

Pro Rugby is a business that happens to trade in a game we love, if we run it as a game then we will get amateur results, if we run it as a business then we will get pro results.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Does anyone have any true stories about a leader who comes along and unites waring parties and leads them on to better days?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
It is possible to think Raelene hasn't been good enough (she hasn't), hasn't been willing enough to make change (she hasn't) and also not necessarily think that the 11 Captains Action was a great move, or that one of them should be the next Chief Executive.

Honestly, the (often, not always) misguided loyalty and opinions on this forum is unrivalled in any corner of the internet I inhabit.

I bear her no ill will and hope her next role is one she is able to excel in, and she takes learnings with her. And if the next CEO is a Kiwi or a woman, that's fine too, if they're the best candidate.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Apparently this lot, or at least a group representing them, met with the board yesterday afternoon, at RCs request. That’s correct isn’t it? Something they proposed evidently swayed the board it would appear.