• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Agree with Slim here: Central West were looking at leaving because they had a gutful of the take-take-take attitude from NSWRU and RA, where they were required to stick extra fees on top of registration every year that flowed upward and provided them zero.

Under Hore, the relationship with anyone below Premier Club level was non-existent.

Those fees were introduced under Pulver with a stated intent (haven’t got a quote, recollection only) of making the game sustainable at the grass roots and specifically NOT intended to “flow upward”. If this is real, there is a massive issue that needs addressing. If it is not real and just perception, there is a massive issue that needs addressing.

Marinos has some work to do.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Those fees were introduced under Pulver with a stated intent (haven’t got a quote, recollection only) of making the game sustainable at the grass roots and specifically NOT intended to “flow upward”. If this is real, there is a massive issue that needs addressing. If it is not real and just perception, there is a massive issue that needs addressing.

Marinos has some work to do.

Everybody who loves the game has a lot of work to do.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah there was a bit more to it than disgruntled clubs. The move was largely driven by the soon to be out of work DO, a hugely popular and proactive guy in the zone. The arguments about the rego costs etc was part of the resulting playoff between NSW and ACT. Overall the Brumbies did put forward a better looking case than NSW, but only marginally and if you are going to defect from the governing body of the state you are actually in to one you are not, there needs to be a unanimous agreement to do so, and it wasn’t even close to that. It’s not unusual for a sporting club to be unhappy with its governing body.

The upshot was that not only did DO Simpson keep his job he also got a pay rise. If it’s the first step in a NSWRU rebuild it certainly wasn’t a bad one.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Also Slims dismissal of it as ‘no big loss’ needs to be put into perspective. The Central West is on and off the strongest country zone in the state and has produced a heck of a lot of Wallabies. Definitely more than Western Sydney.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also Slims dismissal of it as ‘no big loss’ needs to be put into perspective. The Central West is on and off the strongest country zone in the state and has produced a heck of a lot of Wallabies. Definitely more than Western Sydney.

"The Wallabies of Western Sydney" could be deserving of its own thread. Is there a team?

6. R Price
15. I Folau

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I wrote something for The Australian about the current state of the four Australian football codes heading into 2021 - here's what I wrote about Rugby:

COVID-19 was the pandemic Australian rugby needed to have. Finally unburdened of South African Super Rugby teams, the code instead welcomes back the previously discarded Western Force to once again boast a national footprint. Super Rugby will for the first time have a live free-to-air television footprint in Australia, and Rugby Australia have a new Chairman whose capability, on the surface at least, dramatically outshines his immediate predecessor.

He’s appointed a new chief executive in Andy Marinos, who will depart his current role at SANZAAR. Marinos will know he wasn’t the first pick — with interim CEO Rob Clarke resisting McLennan’s public displays of affection and refusing to consider a permanent role — and he will face immediate scrutiny if he is unable to continue the momentum generated by Clarke’s huge efforts to rebuild the castle Raelene had almost knocked over.

Plenty of you may disagree with the sentiment, but undoubedtly we've got an opportunity in 2021 for Rugby to really find its calling in Aus. A clean slate is a wonderful chance.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I find it hilariously ironic that RA went down the exact path (tv/steaming deal wise) that in a round about way cost her her job

Not to mention that even if Raelene had signed with Foxtel before COVID hit, the deal would have likely been null and void since the terms of the contract were for the old super rugby competition, not Super Rugby TT. At the very least Foxtel would have done as they did with every sport, and demanded the deal be renegotiated for a lesser cost.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

To be fair, I love that an Australian author is testing (well broadcasting really) to the rugby community via Gagger. Love it.

So for the record, my issues are around the wrecking intentions of certain elements of the media. Driving behind dopes like Kearns and driving wedges into the rugby world. Easily the greatest achievement of 2020 was that RA finally shed that shit (which did NOTnhave rugby nterest at heart). Dropped the broadcast shackles to find a new partner, new relationship, new way to go forward.

*fuck* the Australian. *fuck* Foxtel*. *fuck* the knockers. Rugby is going forward. Thank god for that.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wrote something for The Australian about the current state of the four Australian football codes heading into 2021 - here's what I wrote about Rugby:

COVID-19 was the pandemic Australian rugby needed to have. Finally unburdened of South African Super Rugby teams, the code instead welcomes back the previously discarded Western Force to once again boast a national footprint. Super Rugby will for the first time have a live free-to-air television footprint in Australia, and Rugby Australia have a new Chairman whose capability, on the surface at least, dramatically outshines his immediate predecessor.

He’s appointed a new chief executive in Andy Marinos, who will depart his current role at SANZAAR. Marinos will know he wasn’t the first pick — with interim CEO Rob Clarke resisting McLennan’s public displays of affection and refusing to consider a permanent role — and he will face immediate scrutiny if he is unable to continue the momentum generated by Clarke’s huge efforts to rebuild the castle Raelene had almost knocked over.

Plenty of you may disagree with the sentiment, but undoubedtly we've got an opportunity in 2021 for Rugby to really find its calling in Aus. A clean slate is a wonderful chance.
Pete Fairbairn as in the RUPA and ex Rebels employee?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
To be fair, I love that an Australian author is testing (well broadcasting really) to the rugby community via Gagger. Love it.

Assuming you're being sarcastic, but that's cool. I'm not employed by The Aus, but just wanted to share something I'd written which compared the year that's been for the four Australian men's football codes and how I saw Rugby's year in reflection. As I said in my original post, sure plenty of you disagree, and that's your pregorative - not an issue whatsoever at my end. Cheers, have a good one.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ex-RUPA (nearly 12 months ago) and ex-Rebels, indeed. Also host the Best On Ground podcast which I've shared on these pages a few times :)

(E.G.
)
Well done. Have actually listened to the pod show a few times, especially during lockdown. Love how the show is short and sharp