• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought we weren’t supposed to read news articles ?

That's why, because I heard McLennan say he wasn't on shortlist, I didn't read it. Why I saying SMH must be making stuff up.
Or the alternative is ....................;)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's why, because I heard McLennan say he wasn't on shortlist, I didn't read it. Why I saying SMH must be making stuff up.
Or the alternative is ........;)

Or, maybe the employment situation has changed in the months since they last commented on this situation, you know, COVID and all that...

Aren't these uniformed rumours the kind which you were criticising others for spreading previously?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Or, maybe the employment situation has changed in the months since they last commented on this situation, you know, COVID and all that.

Aren't these uniformed rumours the kind which you were criticising others for spreading previously?

Why I pointed out that SMH must be lying, the report that KiwiM posted is exactly what McLennan said on live tv, that is not a rumour as I heard and watched him say it! The same night he ssid he had minutes to prove what he said about the SANZAAR meeting was supposed to of said, and ok he didn't actually have minutes only his notes, but maybe he was just mistaken what the difference between minutes and personal notes are. But he definitely got a bit heated and assured the questioner (Joe Wheeler) when he asked the question, and he definitely said he was NOT in the shortlist etc, and I believe he said he wasn't even going to be interviewed. He either had a shit shortlist or as I believe the SMH is just making up stories!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Why I pointed out that SMH must be lying, the report that KiwiM posted is exactly what McLennan said on live tv, that is not a rumour as I heard and watched him say it! The same night he ssid he had minutes to prove what he said about the SANZAAR meeting was supposed to of said, and ok he didn't actually have minutes only his notes, but maybe he was just mistaken what the difference between minutes and personal notes are. But he definitely got a bit heated and assured the questioner (Joe Wheeler) when he asked the question, and he definitely said he was NOT in the shortlist etc, and I believe he said he wasn't even going to be interviewed. He either had a shit shortlist or as I believe the SMH is just making up stories!

Or.... It’s entirely possible the situation has changed over the past few months.
Since that comment was made New Zealander Brett Impey has quit his role as SANZAAR Chairman.

Playing devils advocate to the rumours being suggested here. But If Marinos feels his position at SANZAAR is untenable following Brett Impeys resignation and call for structural change, is he not allowed to express interest in another job?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Or.. It’s entirely possible the situation has changed over the past few months.
Since that comment was made New Zealander Brett Impey has quit his role as SANZAAR Chairman.

Playing devils advocate to the rumours being suggested here. But If Marinos feels his position at SANZAAR is untenable following Brett Impeys resignation and call for structural change, is he not allowed to express interest in another job?

Sorry mate Marinos applied for RA job at least 2 months before Impey resigned and was good enough to make shortlist!
But you could be right, Marinos could of become a better candidate in last couple of months or the better ones may of pulled out!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Sorry mate Marinos applied for RA job at least 2 months before Impey resigned and was good enough to make shortlist!
Sorry mate, but i must have missed where it was announced Marinos had applied for job before September. What's the source for that?

I'm confused, is your point that RA have being deceitful and lied because 3 months ago he wasn't on the short list and now he is? Or are you suggesting the journalists lied in their reporting?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry mate, but i must have missed where it was announced Marinos had applied for job before September. What's the source for that?

I'm confused, is your point that RA have being deceitful and lied because 3 months ago he wasn't on the short list and now he is? Or are you suggesting the journalists lied in their reporting?

Someone is mate, I did see McLennan say he had not on shortlist (and scource was him saying it on Breakdown programme on TV) and so was not in running for the job . It came up when Wheeler asked if perhaps Marinos was not a neutral in SAANZAR (which I didn't really agree with) because he had reportedly applied for job. McLennan replied it was rubbish as he had missed making the shortlist and wasn't being interviewed. ( I was surprised it was first I had heard Marinos had applied)
Yep mate I really used it to point out how bloody crooked some reportes appear to be, I surprised that RA haven't called them out over it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Someone is mate, I did see McLennan say he had not on shortlist (and scource was him saying it on Breakdown programme on TV) and so was not in running for the job . It came up when Wheeler asked if perhaps Marinos was not a neutral in SAANZAR (which I didn't really agree with) because he had reportedly applied for job. McLennan replied it was rubbish as he had missed making the shortlist and wasn't being interviewed. ( I was surprised it was first I had heard Marinos had applied)
Yep mate I really used it to point out how bloody crooked some reportes appear to be, I surprised that RA haven't called them out over it.

I’ve got a bit of an issue with your comments because your claiming someone is being deceitful and lying, you’ve misquoted McLennan in the process, and you’re only evidence for this are articles from 3 months ago.

What McLennan actually said in those interviews was that Marinos wasn’t on shortlist for the job, and that Marinos had carried himself in a ethical manner through all dealings with RA and NZRU. If you’re going to paraphrase someone’s comments, then do it accurately, not with a liberal interpretation.

Regardless of what was said then, 3 months laters and Impey has resigned as Chairman of SANZAAR and called for structural reform of SANZAAR, and now Marinos is on the shortlist for a new job, is that really that surprising? That doesn’t mean comments made 3 months ago were a lie or deceitful, just that the situation has changed.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I’ve got a bit of an issue with your comments because your claiming someone is being deceitful and lying, you’ve misquoted McLennan in the process, and you’re only evidence for this are articles from 3 months ago.

What McLennan actually said in those interviews was that Marinos wasn’t on shortlist for the job, and that Marinos had carried himself in a ethical manner through all dealings with RA and NZRU. If you’re going to paraphrase someone’s comments, then do it accurately, not with a liberal interpretation.

Regardless of what was said then, 3 months laters and Impey has resigned as Chairman of SANZAAR and called for structural reform of SANZAAR, and now Marinos is on the shortlist for a new job, is that really that surprising? That doesn’t mean comments made 3 months ago were a lie or deceitful, just that the situation has changed.

Yes it is very surprising unless all better candidates have pulled out. ;)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I disagree Dan, and I also think it’s poor form to insinuate someone was being deceitful or lying without evidence.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
From what I remember I thought he said he was throwing his hat in the ring, but we slated it as not wanting him, now Im hearing his one of the favorites, and that his dealings in getting the nine deal were great..

As long as he does a good job, who gives a fuck..

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm still impressed we managed to get through the games we did this year. This weekend alone they've cancelled 4 games of the champions & challenge cup (so far). Toulon refused to play Scarlets because one of Scarlet's players tested positive yet Scarlets get the bonus point automatic win because Toulon refused... Seems odd.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I keep hearing about the brave new world for rugby in Australia under McLennan.
Well here we are 2 days short of Christmas with little likely to happen for another 2 weeks/until next year and still no participation agreements or squads finalised/announced for 2021.
So what else is new?
2 weeks break and then 6 weeks before the first SRAu games.
It's no wonder we keep hearing about top players moving off-shore.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I keep hearing about the brave new world for rugby in Australia under McLennan.
Well here we are 2 days short of Christmas with little likely to happen for another 2 weeks/until next year and still no participation agreements or squads finalised/announced for 2021.
So what else is new?
2 weeks break and then 6 weeks before the first SRAu games.
It's no wonder we keep hearing about top players moving off-shore.

What’s your solution, most clubs have a full squad from what I can tell, so there is some form of understanding what the participation agreement will look like.

I think its important to recognise that there is still external agreements been negotiated which isn't just RA, but SANZAAR and NZRU as well. Its possible they(Super Rugby clubs and RUPA) are still holding out hoping that will inflate the value of distributions with extra cash from the international broadcast rights.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Is it that bad of an appointment ?

Well not that I have seen, depends whether you like the work he has done with SANZAAR.
Personally I would think he will be not bad with his contacts he got in rugby, it all helps when negotiating with other Rugby Unions I would think.

All I will say it confirms my thoughts on McLennan.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's not my job to have a solution it's up to RA.
Just pointing out that it's a far from ideal situation which has consequences.

No it’s not ideal, an ideal situation is one in which we don’t have a global pandemic which wipes out international travel and pushes Australia into its first depression in 3 decades.

The fact we have a super rugby tournament to watch next year on FTA in the face of everything still amazes me.