• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Marinos is a weird one. Did he actually do anything at SANZAAR? All major decisions had to be agreed by the four unions, dont see that he had much work to do there?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Andy Marinos? The Sanzar shyster who tried to tell us last week the existing soup rugby contracts were still "binding" and nothing had changed?

bagdad-bob.jpg

"Nothing has changed, please pack your bags and head to South Africa to play the Cheetahs and Southern Kings in February"
--Andy Marinos, new RA CEO.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So I was doubtful of Marinos based on the SANZAAR experience, but that must be a shit of an organisation to work for. His role is basically operational reporting to 4 dysfunctional masters. His global contacts are excellent but the word I have is that what made him stand out in the recruitment process was that everyone was focused on the Wallabies - except him, who was focusedon grass roots.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So I was doubtful of Marinos based on the SANZAAR experience, but that must be a shit of an organisation to work for. His role is basically operational reporting to 4 dysfunctional masters. His global contacts are excellent but the word I have is that what made him stand out in the recruitment process was that everyone was focused on the Wallabies - except him, who was focusedon grass roots.

Good to hear, Reg.

Let's see which grassroots he means.

NSW CEO Paul Doorn is making the right noises in this regard. Even showed up to our Subbies AGM this year and answered a few questions.

Hoping they've finally realised that the game needs a handy everywhere, not just a few blokes at the top.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Very mixed feelings on Marinos, though I’m happy to accept it is probably associating the name with past issues. Really hope it works.

Is that the RA board finally cleansed of parties involved in the cutting scenario?

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

I have just made a post on the Super rugby blog regards this, as it is the domestic grassroots that need lifting in Australia, so if this is true then hopefully he is the right appointment.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have just made a post on the Super rugby blog regards this, as it is the domestic grassroots that need lifting in Australia, so if this is true then hopefully he is the right appointment.

I doubt that anybody who knows anything about rugby in this country does not understand that the grassroots are important. The big question is, what is the best way to apportion the game's meagre financial resources for the benefit of the code as a whole?
This is a simple question, but the answer will be complex. And, by definition, will not please everybody.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I doubt that anybody who knows anything about rugby in this country does not understand that the grassroots are important. The big question is, what is the best way to apportion the game's meagre financial resources for the benefit of the code as a whole?
This is a simple question, but the answer will be complex. And, by definition, will not please everybody.
I still think we should just copy what Rassie did with South Africa.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Good to hear, Reg.

Let's see which grassroots he means.

NSW CEO Paul Doorn is making the right noises in this regard. Even showed up to our Subbies AGM this year and answered a few questions.

Hoping they've finally realised that the game needs a handy everywhere, not just a few blokes at the top.
The Brumbies tried to pinch the Central West NSW zone a few weeks ago and Doorn showed up to that meeting too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Brumbies tried to pinch the Central West NSW zone a few weeks ago and Doorn showed up to that meeting too.

putting aside the Brumbies thing, that really is awesome action by the CEO. What you'd like to see and kind of expect, but has probably been fairly rare of late

Monty

Frank Nicholson (4)
While I am a bit nervous about the appointment given how well SANZAAR has been run lately, I’m willing to trust McLennan given what he’s been able to accomplish recently. Hopefully with the benefit of time we’ll also see selecting Marinos as another good call.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

And experience dealing with nzru which counts for something I suppose - good to see RA also recognising importance of grass roots as well as we all know is foundations are not watered - nothing grows...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No big loss, we’ll just take greater western Sydney instead...
If brumbies actually do something with western Sydney - heck I would happily support that. Such a wasted opportunity - still dirty on nswru turning down privately funded grr team for western Sydney as big missed opportunity that rarely presents itself. Stupidity of turning that down beggars belief.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And experience dealing with nzru which counts for something I suppose - good to see RA also recognising importance of grass roots as well as we all know is foundations are not watered - nothing grows.

He obviously a good horse trader too. Aus got RC he got CEO job.;) :p

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No it’s not ideal, an ideal situation is one in which we don’t have a global pandemic which wipes out international travel and pushes Australia into its first depression in 3 decades.

The fact we have a super rugby tournament to watch next year on FTA in the face of everything still amazes me.
Yep all things considered given environment I give RA leadership a B grade. I think both Hamish and Rob can be proud of their efforts and what they have achieved. Pity Rob Clarke not going to stick around...even if in a different position in RA as to me can’t afford to lose good leadership talent.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You've got to be kidding. Perhaps they should focus more on growing Rugby in Goulbourn, Wagga and Albury first before they start trying to feed off more of NSW's regions.

For the record, it was the Central West Rugby Union who put forward the proposal on whether to switch affiliation to the Brumbies.............

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of love towards NSWRU from some of their clubs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep all things considered given environment I give RA leadership a B grade. I think both Hamish and Rob can be proud of their efforts and what they have achieved. Pity Rob Clarke not going to stick around.even if in a different position in RA as to me can’t afford to lose good leadership talent.

Rob Clarke may have been shining in his later period but he was part of the problem. Sooner the decks are cleared of people who did not stand up to Clyne the better. It is time for fresh cupboards. Long time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

For the record, it was the Central West Rugby Union who put forward the proposal on whether to switch affiliation to the Brumbies.....

Agree with Slim here: Central West were looking at leaving because they had a gutful of the take-take-take attitude from NSWRU and RA, where they were required to stick extra fees on top of registration every year that flowed upward and provided them zero.

Under Hore, the relationship with anyone below Premier Club level was non-existent.