• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ok Sendit if you don’t think there is the demand, what kind of crowd do you think would attend a B&I Lions match vs South Africa if it were played in Sydney, Brisbane or Perth later this year?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We have a country full of aussies and still don’t manage to sell out a stadium sometimes

Aussies don't like rugby - Brits do. They also just generally seem to attend sport more than we do. They sell out second and third division games of soccer over there.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Aussies don't like rugby - Brits do. They also just generally seem to attend sport more than we do. They sell out second and third division games of soccer over there.

A much higher population, a much smaller country (meaning much shorter commutes to games).

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Ok Sendit if you don’t think there is the demand, what kind of crowd do you think would attend a B&I Lions match vs South Africa if it were played in Sydney, Brisbane or Perth later this year?

Play a Bledisloe game or a Aus A vs Maori XV before each of the SA & Lions games. Would be an absolute amazing day out there. RA gets the cut of our game while SA & Lions gets the cut of their game.

Hell, I'll pay for 2 tickets if I have to, but that would be an absolute belter of a day.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McLennan said that if the offer was accepted it would make sense to stage two of the three Lions Tests in Perth to take advantage of the huge number of South African ex-pats living there. “Perth would be a natural, you would think that,” McLennan said. “But we would hope to stage one Test on the east coast.”

Perth’s new Optus Stadium, which hosted the record Wallabies win over New Zealand in 2019, is regarded as state of the art and provides the capacity – around 60,000 – to accommodate the fans who traditionally follow Lions tours in great numbers. “I don’t see why they would not sell out the ground,” McLennan said.

Sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Great idea and an epic troll of the highest order

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just found out 65% of all people in Australia live in Sydney.

Not sure what that has to do with anything but at this stage of the year I am desperate to begin the NSFW Waratahs pile-on.

As one of out PMs said, "if your are not living in Sydney, you are camping"

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This sounds like a calculated play by RA here. Let's be honest, what are the chances of this actually happening - 10%? 5%?

We can talk ourselves up, be the knight in shining armour for the Home Nations, but when it comes to the crunch it's pretty likely we won't be doing anything.

It's smart by McLennan, who seems to have a knack with these sort of things. Gets people talking, positions RA as savvy and efficient, but in the end it all fizzles out a bit. And that's fine as we've already scored the brownie points for the bigger game - the RWC bid.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
As one of out PMs said, "if your are not living in Sydney, you are camping"
Ahem, the actual quote was,"Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us."

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This sounds like a calculated play by RA here. Let's be honest, what are the chances of this actually happening - 10%? 5%?

We can talk ourselves up, be the knight in shining armour for the Home Nations, but when it comes to the crunch it's pretty likely we won't be doing anything.

It's smart by McLennan, who seems to have a knack with these sort of things. Gets people talking, positions RA as savvy and efficient, but in the end it all fizzles out a bit. And that's fine as we've already scored the brownie points for the bigger game - the RWC bid.

I think its smart, if only to keep rugby union in the headlines during a quiet time in the season, its an easy win and sounds very much like the old JON playbook. If it comes off, then even better.

Same with the Wallabies jersey last week, what purpose did it serve, could have been run any time this year but it did well to have people talking about rugby during the off-season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think its smart, if only to keep rugby union in the headlines during a quiet time in the season, its an easy win and sounds very much like the old JON playbook. If it comes off, then even better.

Same with the Wallabies jersey last week, what purpose did it serve, could have been run any time this year but it did well to have people talking about rugby during the off-season.

Some posters around here do not accept the value of publicity.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Some posters around here do not accept the value of publicity.

You are right Wamb, and Hamish is the king of it, knows how to use the press. I actually laugh at a lot of it because I remember my rugby club in the Mighty Nua in NZ had won the local comp in about 94 or 95, so just before Xmas we approahed the local union about going to play in a neighbouring bigger union, shit hit the fan in local paper, got called wankers etc by other clubs, then begiining of the next season as we looking for sponsors we took all cuttings from paper to show how often they could get in paper. We were only rank amateurs at it and don't know how well it worked, but it was a shrewd ploy we though!
WOB may even remember it!