• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I still don't understand what Kafer knows about coaching other than how to be an unmitigated disaster at it. A good footy brain does not make you a good coach.

As for the concept, that does seem like the sensible way forwards if the goal for Super Rugby is as a development league for test players. If that is the case though, I am not sure how it will achieve the revenue to pay for the players needed to achieve that goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
I still don't understand what Kafer knows about coaching other than how to be an unmitigated disaster at it. A good footy brain does not make you a good coach.

As for the concept, that does seem like the sensible way forwards if the goal for Super Rugby is as a development league for test players. If that is the case though, I am not sure how it will achieve the revenue to pay for the players needed to achieve that goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that they're looking more at his expertise in delivering coaching programs, rather than in the design of the program itself, if that makes sense.

From what I can gather, his sports academy business is quite successful, so I'm assuming that he's been able to develop some systems that allow for successful delivery of high-performance programs.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I'm assuming that they're looking more at his expertise in delivering coaching programs, rather than in the design of the program itself, if that makes sense.

From what I can gather, his sports academy business is quite successful, so I'm assuming that he's been able to develop some systems that allow for successful delivery of high-performance programs.

Is the sports academy business a conflict of interest, this sort of BS stuff goes on in junior rugby and various rep teams.

Very much view this as appointment from within the tent rather than an outside appointment designed to challenge and change the ARU. Lives on the North Shore, ex Wallaby, partisan Brumby fan, was never hired as a coach outside of Brumbies connections and history is repeating itself with Stephen Larkham.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Very much view this as appointment from within the tent rather than an outside appointment designed to challenge and change the ARU.

I think the reality for Australian Rugby is that there is nowhere near the requisite budget to get people from outside the tent who are up to the job.

Leveraging people from inside the tent who are passionate and want to help is about the best option we have.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the reality for Australian Rugby is that there is nowhere near the requisite budget to get people from outside the tent who are up to the job.

Leveraging people from inside the tent who are passionate and want to help is about the best option we have.
I don't believe that Kafer will be providing his services at a fraction of the cost that a better qualified person would demand.
I also don't believe that the ARU's finances are so precarious that they can't afford the wages of the best credentialed candidate for this role.
It's just a continuation of the culture of employing good guys that you know.
Which is ironic, if this practise worked, then you wouldn't need this new "jobs for the boys" role,

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't believe that Kafer will be providing his services at a fraction of the cost that a better qualified person would demand.
I also don't believe that the ARU's finances are so precarious that they can't afford the wages of the best credentialed candidate for this role.
It's just a continuation of the culture of employing good guys that you know.
Which is ironic, if this practise worked, then you wouldn't need this new "jobs for the boys" role,

Who is the world class person for this role and what would it cost the ARU to recruit them?

If Kafer has run a successful business in this space he's perhaps the best qualified local candidate and also has an interest in improving the situation.

The reality is rugby in Australia is small and most of the people involved are already inside the tent so to speak.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Who is the world class person for this role and what would it cost the ARU to recruit them?

If Kafer has run a successful business in this space he's perhaps the best qualified local candidate and also has an interest in improving the situation.

The reality is rugby in Australia is small and most of the people involved are already inside the tent so to speak.

At least it is a step in the right direction even though we are following not thinking ahead.
Maybe his former players rep role will keep him focused and not just a ARU yes man.
As I said elsewhere our biggest problem is head the coach. I think we will always be inconsistent and under perform while he is there.
This year watching the way D Wessels communicates with his players and makes team selections to maintain a cohesive and motivated team makes me think we made a big mistake not hiring Jake White.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

BH you have too admit that a sane and competent CEO in a "public facing" business having the present performance and reputation of the ARU should have seen it as a priority to appoint someone who was not an insider.
Kafe really has to give up his Foxtel job in order to avoid perceptions of a conflict of interest: how can he be fearless in exposing the shortcomings on a play by play basis when on Monday he will be fronting the coaches who are to blame for the shortcomings, albeit variably from time to time in that not everything is a coaching issue.
But surely he will need input from current players in order to understand the coach player dynamic in a given place: how can he be objective in his commentary if he is reliant on a player or players for this understanding?
We have seen what personal connection in the commentary box have done for objective analysis of the Tahs this year.
Besides which, though I think Kafer is a great analyst, we really are swimming at the shallow end of the gene pool in this country and with each appointment it just gets shallower: the opportunity for inbreeding of ideas and approaches has been fully realised and that's why we are facing extinction.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH you have too admit that a sane and competent CEO in a "public facing" business having the present performance and reputation of the ARU should have seen it as a priority to appoint someone who was not an insider.
Kafe really has to give up his Foxtel job in order to avoid perceptions of a conflict of interest: how can he be fearless in exposing the shortcomings on a play by play basis when on Monday he will be fronting the coaches who are to blame for the shortcomings, albeit variably from time to time in that not everything is a coaching issue.
But surely he will need input from current players in order to understand the coach player dynamic in a given place: how can he be objective in his commentary if he is reliant on a player or players for this understanding?
We have seen what personal connection in the commentary box have done for objective analysis of the Tahs this year.
Besides which, though I think Kafer is a great analyst, we really are swimming at the shallow end of the gene pool in this country and with each appointment it just gets shallower: the opportunity for inbreeding of ideas and approaches has been fully realised and that's why we are facing extinction.

The primary aspect of this role at least to begin with is setting up a 6-8 person advisory panel.

I don't think the role entails much of what you have outlined above.

Presumably the panel established will need to be involved in a lot of that so the requirement for Kafer is to come up with a panel that has the right attributes and can unite the states enough that they buy into the process.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The primary aspect of this role at least to begin with is setting up a 6-8 person advisory panel.

Presumably the panel established will need to be involved in a lot of that so the requirement for Kafer is to come up with a panel that has the right attributes and can unite the states enough that they buy into the process.

Perhaps I read too much into his comments last night on Kick and Chase but he made it sound as if he was expecting a pretty hands on involvement.
if you're right I still don't see that he can serve 2 masters: its really little different to the preposterous position in League where Gould comments on Penrith - including at a time when Cleary's continued role at Penrith must have been an issue........ maybe that just reflects my dislike of Gould.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I was responding to your assertion that the ARU didn't have the budget to afford outsiders with appropriate skills.
In what way is his business successful?
They haven't been going long enough to develop anyone.
The reality is that those currently in the tent,shouldn't be.
Just look at our current results.
A big part of the problem is group think.
Get an outsider in,with a different mindset.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kafer is one of the most knowledgeable of the rugby people in this country, if not the most knowledgeable.

The first requirement for a job like this is a deep knowledge of the game as a whole, backed up by a detailed understanding of the Australian rugby environment.

Could we have some names of people who might do a better job, please?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^^^lets start with a list of everyone in the world.
Step 1 cull everyone who isnt aware of the sport/doesn't know the rules.
Step 2 cull anyone who has previously admitted they are a crap coach.
Whoops, still have millions of applicants,yet we have culled the guy they found in the carpark after a world wide search.......

Seriously, where's the process that ensured all those with the requisite qualifications were considered?
Business as usual......

T

TOCC

Kafer is one of the most knowledgeable of the rugby people in this country, if not the most knowledgeable.

The first requirement for a job like this is a deep knowledge of the game as a whole, backed up by a detailed understanding of the Australian rugby environment.

Could we have some names of people who might do a better job, please?

"Most knowledgeable" based on what Wamberal?
Based on articles written by the same journos who claim Tony McGahan is a great coach, or the one who argue Nathan Grey will instill defensive steel to said team...or possible his co-commentators on Foxsports?

How about you list the reasons why he deserves this job, show us the qualifications which lead you to believe that he has the skills to lead the coaching construct within Australia.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

That's pretty much the issue, you're defending the appointment,but you don't know what the appointment entails.
The ARU are so fucking inept, they don't even bother writing a job description that is tailored for their boy, they just appoint him and get him to make it up as he goes.

Reactions: dru

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)

Super coaches at the conference while Kafe is speaking.

gPG4RhRtcyzwmZqJFzeL6SXJ63ObQncicbmjxctE4J0.jpg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
"Most knowledgeable" based on what?

Absolutely. I don't buy this stuff about Kafer's supposed strength in analysis. Enough for the gig at Fox perhaps but I've never been convinced.

Off the top of my head, I have learned massively more from analysis from guys like Bishop, Smith and Allen than I have ever picked up from Kafer. Part of his problem being an apparent need or at least desire to follow the narrative as it starts from Cheika and the ARU.

And of course this supposed strength is at best one small part of what is needed for a high performance role.

ILTW is right - what is the brief? I cant see any objectivity in the claim that Kafer is a sensible selection.

Top Bottom