• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
IMG_1681.PNG

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
You need a better barrel merchant if you're scraping yours and getting Miranda. ;)
And no, I didn't read it. I have a principle that I won't break.

Oh please, too snide mate. I didn't post this to secure Likes or otherwise re Devine as such.

It's the increasing pervasiveness of this type of assessment in the mainstream media that catches the eye and will have impact in the broader community. You may dislike Devine on personal grounds but she has a big following and readership.

kickedmyheight

Frank Nicholson (4)
Why does every region or demographic of rugby need to be represented by an individual member on the board, why can't we have a board which makes decisions based on the best outcomes for Australian Rugby as a whole.

Im completely against selecting board members on a geographical basis or level of competition criteria, those members feel compelled to make decisions purely for what they feel suits that state, team or union they represent.. However what suits Queensland, the Force or the Shute Shield best is not necessarily what will be best for Australian Rugby as a whole.

Historical allegiances and nepotism need to be removed from the decision making within Australian Rugby, not encouraged further.
The problem with this is that people do have biases, whether intentional or not. So the real risk is that if you eliminate regional appointees you could end up actually strengthening the old school NSW and QLD bloc.

Yes if you appoint regional interests they will have an imperative to look after their own, but at least this intent is open and expected. If you get the balance right and don't weight the numbers in favour of certain parties then everyone pulling in there own direction should result in compromises that can help rugby overall on a national way.

Easier said than done...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Kafer has accepted a role as head of special projects in the ARU’s high performance department to lift the code out of the doldrums

Kafer told The Daily Telegraph his first focus will be to rebuild success through the Australia’s coaches, by arming them all with the know-how to upskill players, from six-year-olds to professionals.

Kafer and his company have started working with Michael Cheika and ARU high performance boss Ben Whitaker on establishing a national coaching structure that will align every coach in the country in teaching key “fundamentals” to all players.

Kafer will also oversee elite coaching pathways, development and appointments. Establishing mentoring chains down through the ranks is a goal, too, with the expertise of all ex-Wallabies coaches harnessed instead of being left to drift away

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/e23bf8693ae8b742fe03f2ce4a8ff13d

Well, it all sounds good in principe, but is Kafer really the best man for the job, what credentials does he have in this area?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It does sound good. And Kafer is a good TV analyst but to my knowledge he's never coached, other than perhaps his kids.
Coaching coaches is an odd place to start your coaching career but I have more faith in him than anyone else working for the ARU.
Hopefully he won't formalise dew as an excuse for Australian side who can't catch.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, it all sounds good in principe, but is Kafer really the best man for the job, what credentials does he have in this area?

As you say TOCC, looks good 'on a quick look' (let alone why such a role was not constructed a decade + ago, talk about years after the horse has bolted when we see how, for example, NZ rugby has progressed in that period. We are already like a slowing sinking ship, having hit 3 icebergs, taking on water and having just decided that a chief navigator would be wise addition to the bridge crew).

Someone who has barely coached at all, to head up a core project on skills development and vertical coaching pathways.........I will hope for the best but I would have much preferred someone with a solid pedigree of achievement in this specific field.

Ex-Wallabies appointed as board members in rugby or to do 'special projects' for the code do not have distinguished records of achievement in these tasks. Being a fine player in no way means you will be fine designer of a sporting code's governance systems or, for example, coaching development infrastructure. Australian rugby has learnt this painful lesson many, many times (or perhaps it hasn't learnt it enough).

What I absolutely object to is the allowance to Kafer to stay commenting on FoxSports re rugby once he joins the ARU full-time. This is a total conflict of interest and how can someone critique and comment objectively for the viewing fans when they are employed by the sport's top governing body? Same with Eales being on the ARU board yet commenting with Foxtel re the Wallabies et al - his commentary and media writings have become a contorted muddle of benign PC simplicities and facts-deprived cloying positives that no one really believes exist.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I knew Kafer had a bad stint at Saracens, but wasn't sure how bad so I googled it.

Appointed in true Australian fashion. By a mate, after a global talent search.

"Saracens, after casting their net worldwide to find a successor to their head coach Wayne Shelford and coming up with nothing, made the appointment yesterday from within Vicarage Road.

The former Australia centre Rod Kafer, who joined the club as a player-coach earlier this summer after spending two years at Leicester, was given the job which had been linked with the Australians Laurie Fisher and Rod Macqueen and the South Africans Tim Lane and Steph Nel.

"Throughout the appointment process I kept on coming back to the fact that nothing I was seeing was any better than what we already had in place," said the Saracens chief executive Mark Sinderberry, who was at the ACT Brumbies with Kafer in the 1990s." https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/aug/08/rugbyunion.saracens

Pulled his team off the pitch because it was too dangerous - in his first match in charge.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2003/aug/26/rugbyunion.saracens

Six week suspension.

"Kafer's time at Saracens has not been without controversy.

He was banned this year from the touchline for six weeks by England's Rugby Football Union for allegedly abusing two officials during a defeat by Northampton." http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2004-12-15/former-wallaby-kafer-quits-saracens/603192?pfmredir=sm

Seems like just the guy to oversee elite coaching pathways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

He has a company doing this important work and as such can make money from it. Being in the commentary team with board member John Eales and Brumby connections to other ARU members and coaches has equipped him with all the necessary credentials, that being the right connections and the map of the car park.