• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don’t give 2 fucks what the professional players think might be the best way forward.

there is zero doubt, that self interest will figure prominently in any solutions they put forward.
Collectively there is a lot of brain power and rugby experience in that group.
They are not mindless gladiators being moved around a chess board at the whim of administrators.
The more involved the players are the wider a range of options for the game's future can be considered.
I think the corporate types here would call it "buy in".
Listen to them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They are not mindless gladiators being moved around a chess board at the whim of administrators.
The more involved the players are the wider a range of options for the game's future can be considered.
Listen to them.

It is bizarre that some posters seem to think that the elite players are stupid, selfish, automatons. Some of them are tomorrow's leaders of the game (don't most of us think that the game should be oversighted by former players?)

One thing we can be sure of, intelligent, motivated, and skilled athletes are certainly interested in a better and more prosperous future for the whole game.

The more they are involved, the more they can contribute. Anybody who has ever managed high achievers of one kind or another knows that these people are rare commodities who can do things and see things that most of us just cannot.

Use all their talents.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

Listen to them.

What's good for the 100 odd players @ the top is not necessarily good for the 50,000 at the bottom.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What's good for the 100 odd players @ the top is not necessarily good for the 50,000 at the bottom.

This is Australia, we love to knock tall poppies. I understand that. But the point is that the top players, in particular those at the very top, who could probably earn a lot more money playing in Japan or Europe, are showing a commitment to the national team and all it stands for.

I would listen to them. You are assuming that they are fixated on their own short term advantages. Maybe, just maybe, they actually care about the whole game. If they are successful on the field, incidentally, that will do more for the healthiness of the game the whole 50,000 play every week in winter than just about anything else.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I personally think this couldnt be further from the truth. The health of the game - whether you like it or not - from 7th division subbies to the Wallabies is linked to Wallabies success. Almost All the income generated by rugby in Australia comes from that one team and the players that comprise it. Over the last 10 years the Wallabies have undoubtedly suffered from the player drain and that downturn is immediately apparent in the relative state of the game.

Just as an example - look at the broadcast deal. If we had a succesful and popular team we could demand higher sums which would improve the overall health of the game.

We need these players to be involved and happy. Do you really think Hooper - one of the best 7s in the world - couldnt earn more in Europe?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I personally think this couldnt be further from the truth. The health of the game - whether you like it or not - from 7th division subbies to the Wallabies is linked to Wallabies success. Almost All the income generated by rugby in Australia comes from that one team and the players that comprise it. Over the last 10 years the Wallabies have undoubtedly suffered from the player drain and that downturn is immediately apparent in the relative state of the game.

Just as an example - look at the broadcast deal. If we had a succesful and popular team we could demand higher sums which would improve the overall health of the game.

We need these players to be involved and happy. Do you really think Hooper - one of the best 7s in the world - couldnt earn more in Europe?

JON always admitted he made mistakes as CEO of rugby but they were basically masked because Wallabies were successful, and that was what bought money and people to the sport!! Never underestimate how important they are to rugby in Aus, and noone is suggesting they are the end all, just I think they have a lot to contribute!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
RA should definitely listen to these guys, they are serious stakeholders in the game. RA should be listening to all stakeholders, including member unions, clubs of all descriptions from country juniors to Shute Shield, sponsors, even fans.
However, there is a huge difference between listening to the players, and taking what they have to say into account when making decisions, and having them run the game.
The business world is littered with great technicians who couldn't run a business, the skilful carpenter who couldn't run a building company, the gun real estate salesman who couldn't run a real estate agency etc. Being a highly skilled rugby player does NOT make you a good sports administrator (I'm looking at you Phil Kearns). Sure, some of them may have that ability, but they have it independent of their ability as a player.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I apologise if I mm I missing something as I've skimmed through the last few pages, but who is saying RA isn't or hasn't been listening to past and current players thoughts on the game?

When the past captains moaned two weeks ago, RA was on the phone straight away asking them to have chat. Morgan Turinuri on the Ruckus podcast said Ralene was the most approachable CEO he's worked with (that's him as the Classic Wallabies figurehead). We also have RUPA who's meant to assist with being the players conduit with problems and thoughts

So when haven't these players been brought into the tent?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I apologise if I mm I missing something as I've skimmed through the last few pages, but who is saying RA isn't or hasn't been listening to past and current players thoughts on the game?

When the past captains moaned two weeks ago, RA was on the phone straight away asking them to have chat. Morgan Turinuri on the Ruckus podcast said Ralene was the most approachable CEO he's worked with (that's him as the Classic Wallabies figurehead). We also have RUPA who's meant to assist with being the players conduit with problems and thoughts

So when haven't these players been brought into the tent?

A few people said that they did not care/had no interest in what Hooper & To'omua had to say or were going to discuss with their NZ counterparts.

GardnerJ98

Frank Row (1)
Hello All,
I apologise if this is the incorrect discussion for which to post this. I am new to the forum.

Having been sorting out a few old boxes, I have come across a selection of autographs which were signed by the Australia U20 team when they were over here playing in the 2008 U20 Rugby Championship. We went on a school trip to see them train at Pandy Park, the home of Crosskeys RFC where they signed autographs for us afterwards. Would any of you be able to recognise any of the signatures, or advise where I could get further information from? I have enclosed a scan of all the autographs the players signed.

I hope you are all staying safe in the current climate

Thank You

AusU20Autographs.jpg

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He’s got a solid sports admin profile and lots of rugby admin experience. I gather he has been overlooked by the media for the role until now because of his current commitments with the AOC. I still think a wider search would be pertinent but at face value he looks like a good pick up, despite playing subbies at Mosman.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He’s got a solid sports admin profile and lots of rugby admin experience. I gather he has been overlooked by the media for the role until now because of his current commitments with the AOC. I still think a wider search would be pertinent but at face value he looks like a good pick up, despite playing subbies at Mosman.

I think that Carroll is a good administrator and would probably do a good job. Interesting that he would leave the Olympic movement for Australian rugby, career wise it would seem a step backwards.

Joeys old boy and Mosman resident, so at least he's ticked the two most important boxes.;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think that Carroll is a good administrator and would probably do a good job. Interesting that he would leave the Olympic movement for Australian rugby, career wise it would seem a step backwards.

Joeys old boy and Mosman resident, so at least he's ticked the two most important boxes.;)
Not quite, he went to the wrong GPS school.

I was wondering that too. RC was up for renewal at the end of the year regardless of the virus, so perhaps he was always planning to resign after the Olympics and then challenge for the role. Could be his dream job. He’s now in a position where he has to choose, and there’s no guarantee the Olympics will happen at all.

EDIT: just as as I finished writing Wayne Smith just tweeted that it was all a false alarm. Where there’s smoke there fire, I say.
EDIT2: that Tweet actually came out last night, but he ran with the story anyway. Both news outlets are running with it.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Hello All,
I apologise if this is the incorrect discussion for which to post this. I am new to the forum.

Having been sorting out a few old boxes, I have come across a selection of autographs which were signed by the Australia U20 team when they were over here playing in the 2008 U20 Rugby Championship. We went on a school trip to see them train at Pandy Park, the home of Crosskeys RFC where they signed autographs for us afterwards. Would any of you be able to recognise any of the signatures, or advise where I could get further information from? I have enclosed a scan of all the autographs the players signed.

I hope you are all staying safe in the current climate

Thank You

View attachment 11450

Found a link for you from this site. https://www.google.com/amp/www.gree...alian-under-20-squad-looking-mighty-fine/amp/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It is bizarre that some posters seem to think that the elite players are stupid, selfish, automatons. Some of them are tomorrow's leaders of the game (don't most of us think that the game should be oversighted by former players?)

Use all their talents.

I would add one caveat which is that most of the ex players who in the professional era gravitate to rugby admin are those in the corporate network. They then become somewhat conflicted as they aren't going to rock the corporate boat as they need to maintain the network to get further board roles in large companies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would add one caveat which is that most of the ex players who in the professional era gravitate to rugby admin are those in the corporate network. They then become somewhat conflicted as they aren't going to rock the corporate boat as they need to maintain the network to get further board roles in large companies.

Well, here's the problem. We are now a professional code at the elite level. Like it or not, there is no way that professionalism can exist without being part of, and depending on, the corporate world.

So to fulfil your long-standing antipathy towards the corporatisation of the game, we must turn our heads away from money, and go back to being lilywhites.

Top Bottom