• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Cool story bro.

No-one had realistic expectations of the Brumbies winning. The Roar predicted them to come 6th at the start of the season. PlanetRugby considered it a 'bold prediction' to say the Brumbies would make the final. The bookies had the Blues, the Chiefs, the Crusaders and the Hurricanes at odds to win before the Brumbies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
How many successful club comps, internationally based, come from poor grass roots? From afar it seems to me England, France and South Africa have huge grass roots. Ireland has turned, it can be argued, through rebuilding the pathways. Both Wales and Scotland have struggled with less than desired commercial strength to invest adequately through the grass roots.
I think Anderson would agree.
Anderson believes rugby in Australia needs a “reboot” and that the governing body should drive home three key pillars.

“The game itself needs a reboot, and I don’t think anyone would argue with that,” he said.

“So if everyone is agreeable that we need a reboot, what does it look like? I come back to performance, pathway and participation.”

Anderson adds that coaching the coach is just as critical as developing players.

“At a community level, it’s growing the game because you need the critical mass to compete,” he said.

“The players need strong competitions. A bigger critical mass gives you a greater opportunity for players to aspire and move through the system. They are the two areas that if I reflect on where are we at, those are the two areas. That talent ID and recruitment, that’s player retention and coach retention and development. It’s not just the player, we’ve got to develop the coach.”

“I keep coming back to the community. That’s the area we need to invest in. We can say we don’t have the same resources as the AFL, I just think that’s a cop-out. We’ve just got to be more targeted. You’ve got a certain pool of money, but we need to target that money to particular areas, geographically and by discipline.”

“To me, it comes down to talent ID, recruitment and retention. There’s lot of work to do underneath. That’s why I would target the community game and rebuild from there. Support your coaching, drive philosophy back from a national level and try to stop the drain of coaches and players from going overseas. It can’t all be about money.”

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cool story bro.

No-one had realistic expectations of the Brumbies winning. The Roar predicted them to come 6th at the start of the season. PlanetRugby considered it a 'bold prediction' to say the Brumbies would make the final. The bookies had the Blues, the Chiefs, the Crusaders and the Hurricanes at odds to win before the Brumbies.

That is some serious mental gymnastics...

The Roar's pre-season prediction holds greater weight than the actual season results?

Trollolololololololol...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
That is some serious mental gymnastics...

The Roar's pre-season prediction holds greater weight than the actual season results?

Trollolololololololol...
Oh dear…..you don’t know the difference between expectations and results.

Fans did not have expectations of the Brumbies winning it and all you’re doing by leaning on the final result, is prove the fans were right.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
I wonder if WR (World Rugby) will ever wake up to the fact that the current product is inferior to the game we all fell in love with - more stoppages, countless kicking duels, increased prevalence of box kicking, and mismanagement around the breakdown, to name a few. It pains me to admit it, but what the NRL produced on Sunday was in the order of magnitudes greater than the average game at the World Cup. I really enjoyed the SA v Ireland game, but that was really the exception to the rule. The game is well on the way to extinction here and tracking very poorly in NZ. I don't know if we can grow the game here in Aus in its current form.

That being said, I'm at a loss as to how we can change to make the game more attractive. Less TMO involvement would be a start. Another might be clamping down on the 'caterpillar' for box kick set-ups.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Even in the Ireland v RSA game wasn't there only 27 minutes of ball in play Rugby (average is around 35?) I know rugby have skewed times because they don't count line out set ups, scums etc but compared to the NRL which is over 60 mins.

The Rugby averages are actually up by over 10 mins from 24 mins in 1991.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Even in the Ireland v RSA game wasn't there only 27 minutes of ball in play Rugby (average is around 35?) I know rugby have skewed times because they don't count line out set ups, scums etc but compared to the NRL which is over 60 mins.

The Rugby averages are actually up by over 10 mins from 24 mins in 1991.
That's interesting about the stat vs 1991. It certainly doesn't seem that way when you watch replays of games from that era.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we need to copy the NRL. Rugby has so much more to offer in terms of the unpredictable nature of ruck contests, the set piece etc. It's just very hard for even the most learned rugby fans to keep up with ruck interpretations. If you're away from playing/coaching the game for a year, then you're lost.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
I wonder if WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) will ever wake up to the fact that the current product is inferior to the game we all fell in love with - more stoppages, countless kicking duels, increased prevalence of box kicking, and mismanagement around the breakdown, to name a few. It pains me to admit it, but what the NRL produced on Sunday was in the order of magnitudes greater than the average game at the World Cup. I really enjoyed the SA v Ireland game, but that was really the exception to the rule. The game is well on the way to extinction here and tracking very poorly in NZ. I don't know if we can grow the game here in Aus in its current form.

That being said, I'm at a loss as to how we can change to make the game more attractive. Less TMO involvement would be a start. Another might be clamping down on the 'caterpillar' for box kick set-ups.
I appreciate a good kicking duel tbh.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh dear…..you don’t know the difference between expectations and results.

Fans did not have expectations of the Brumbies winning it and all you’re doing by leaning on the final result, is prove the fans were right.

Was there a statute of limitations on expectations?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I didn’t find the NRL Final such a great spectacle. I thought it was a pretty boring game until the last 20-25mins or so. The first half was just the usual 5 hit-ups plus kick. Some good defence by the Broncos but nothing that exciting.

The comeback and the story of the game - Luai out, 3-peat hadn’t been done in decades etc etc - was good but the game itself was nothing special until the end.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
How many times are you going to shift the goal posts from...
Just once - do I need repeat it?

No fans expected the Brumbies to win Super Rugby. The fact they made the semi doesn’t even come close to changing that. The Brumbies are usually close to the semifinals most years but fans expect them to lose to the Kiwi teams. Which is why the Chiefs were the heavy favourites in that semi. Hell, most Brumbies fans were surprised they beat the Hurricanes in the previous game.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I was trying to be nice by saying 'competitive'

I'll re-phrase for you

"because Super Rugby was a far better competition when Australia had at least 1 competitive team fans believed could win it."
@Slim 293

Australian fans did not believe the Brumbies could or would win Super Rugby in 2023.