• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
We open on a dimly lit basement office deep in the bowels of Stan HQ. A spotty 19 year old hears a ding on a computer, looks up from his phone and reading the email his eyes noticeably widen. He picks up the phone - "Jim, you're going to want to see this"

The email is pored over by increasingly senior execs, before landing on the desk of the CEO in a matter of minutes. He takes one look at it and shouts to his secretary - "Margaret, get McLennan on the phone. NOW"

Cut to two days later, as an ashen faced McLennan walks out of Moore Park, shoulders slumped and carrying a cardboard box.

The assembled throng cheer wildly, beers flow freely and Phil Waugh promptly orders the biggest trophy cabinet available to fit the Moore Park entrance lobby. Because now it's only a matter of time.
I guess the Australian Financial Review is delivering the outcome for me.

Given Stan and the Australian Financial Review are part of the same company you post has aged well.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I guess the Australian Financial Review is delivering the outcome for me.

Given Stan and the Australian Financial Review are part of the same company you post has aged well.
The AFR and every other outlet have been taking shots at McLennan over the situation for days if not weeks - your opinion isn't exactly as unique as your method of delivery.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Mrs McLennan only confirms that firing Rennie was a terrible move by her husband.

Rennie has been mocked for a ‘kumbaya’ culture but apparently 2 wins out of 9 and getting knocked out in the pools stages of the RWC with record losses builds a ‘winning spirit’.

And blaming the players…many of the same players Rennie had to choose from who just struggled with the more elite concepts he was trying to introduce and implement. Those same players?

Lucinda - yo man done fxked up.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The article was published under the AFR’s Rear Window column. It’s a opinion piece column that basically takes the piss out of poor corporate conduct and governance.
Unfortunately it is no longer written by Joe Aston (who highlight Alan Joyce’s failings resulting in his early departure).
You end up in this column being ridiculed without mercy because of your failings, arrogance, ethics or any combination of the aforementioned.

Hamish McLennan you deserve this.

Rear Window was (maybe still is) one of the best things in Australian journalism. The skewering of pompous and self-important public figures in this country was relentless and right over the target.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The real fallout of this whole last 9 months is McClennan’s reputation

he’s gone from ‘The Hammer’, destroyer of NZRU and NRL, to ‘The Flubber’, and sadly taken our hopes with him.

Yep, he looks like a goose. And that's to say nothing of his involvement with Magellan, another failed enterprise (it's personal for me, I have some of my super invested with them!)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Where are the 11 Captains now?
Some are in the In the carpark waiting for the new coaching selection panel to find them, the others are locking in votes for their run at seat on the board if they miss out on the Chairman's job.

Bar is set pretty low for all postions! :eek:

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yep, he looks like a goose. And that's to say nothing of his involvement with Magellan, another failed enterprise (it's personal for me, I have some of my super invested with them!)
TEN; MFG; and now RA. Consistent themes across all three organisations and yet the offers / roles will keep coming. What an easy ride it would be to be a part of the Club.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The real fallout of this whole last 9 months is McClennan’s reputation

he’s gone from ‘The Hammer’, destroyer of NZRU and NRL, to ‘The Flubber’, and sadly taken our hopes with him.
To be honest, I think perhaps in Aus there may of been hurt in his reputation, only in his press releases was he ever a destroyer of NZR and NRL, I copped a fair bit of shit for saying he was a liar etc right from start, I said then I could understand why he did it, was going for the plucky underdog fighting for Aussie rugby, but was all smoke and mirrors. He wanted to be the mouthpiece for RA which your chairman shouldn't really be, makes it too hard for the CEO etc to actually do much work if he doesn't know what chairman is going to utter next.
Ok I not in Aus anymore, but have feeling that Waugh (or board) have told him to rein it in, and the CEO will front the press more?
As I said I not there, but impression I getting is it sounds better coming from Waugh, maybe not agreeing with everything he says, but sounds like brain is engaged before mouth opens.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
so its been reporting the review into the dumpster fire RWC performance will be run by Andrew Slack, Justin Harrison and Darlene Harrison (industry expert).

how does RUPA get to run this?? i thought it was meant to be an independent report.

governance RA style. what a crock.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
so its been reporting the review into the dumpster fire RWC performance will be run by Andrew Slack, Justin Harrison and Darlene Harrison (industry expert).

how does RUPA get to run this?? i thought it was meant to be an independent report.

governance Rugby Australia style. what a crock.
It's understandable that RUPA would have representation on the panel. There's no indication that Harrison is overseeing proceedings from what I've read.

Darlene Harrison's CV is quite impressive - seems a great person to have onboard. I'm unsure what Andrew Slack brings to the table, over and above his playing and coaching experience.

Full details for anyone interested:

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
To ensure that in no way, shape or form do the players get any blame for not taking ownership of their own abhorrent lack of skills.

Be pretty funny if that was the major finding. Should have won more games. Just been better, made less mistakes. Scored more tries.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Honestly at least Justin played in the professional era and won things.
I’m pretty tired of tapping into these 60+ year olds who played in the amateur era when the game looked nothing like it does today. Maybe slack has experience that I’m missing but I just don’t think wins from 84-87 are overly relevant to today. How’s he meant to review training programs he’s never done or seen
Aussie rugbys penchant to harp on about these guys from the 80s is part of why we don’t progress imho

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m pretty tired of tapping into these 60+ year olds who played in the amateur era when the game looked nothing like it does today. Maybe slack has experience that I’m missing but I just don’t think wins from 84-87 are overly relevant to today. How’s he meant to review training programs he’s never done or seen
Aussie rugbys penchant to harp on about these guys from the 80s is part of why we don’t progress imho

I'm sure there's already a generation of rugby supporters who don't know, or care, about the culture of Randwick in the 80's...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That's why the inclusion of Darlene Harrison is a good move. We need the views and judgement of people that have been apart of successful sporting endeavours outside of Rugby. Wish it was three people like that with a Rugby liason for lack of a better term to explain any intricacies.