• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby Union (ARU) - Positivity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can I just pull everyone up for a minute and say: I like this Pulver bloke. He's not afraid to piss a few people off (my favourite personality trait in anyone) and tell it like it is, rather than sticking his head in the fucking sand while ski-poling the Old Boys Club.

Now rather than being pricks about it, we should all jump back on board the rugby train and get ready to win RWC2015.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We have the strongest conference in 2014 SupeRugby.

On paper at the moment. Let's check again when all our teams have been to Efrica and New Zealand.

I suspect that our conference teams might have played a higher proportion of their games at home than either of the other two? Are there any statisticians in the house?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On paper at the moment. Let's check again when all our teams have been to Efrica and New Zealand.

I suspect that our conference teams might have played a higher proportion of their games at home than either of the other two? Are there any statisticians in the house?

Don't bring your rationality in here. This is the positivity thread.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
QLD REDS will announce a $1 million profit for 2013 with an astonishing revenue of $28 million and discussion around converting Ballymore to a high performance centre.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Reckon you would have said the same about Jim Carmichael back in 2010.

Arguably the most important single decision a Soup CEO can make would be the choice of a Head Coach. Richard Graham might be a good coach, I honestly don't know.

But does Jim Carmichael know enough about rugby to have an informed opinion, one way or the other? If and when Graham moves on, does Carmichael know enough about the game to be able to find and recruit the best possible coach for the Reds?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think it would be left up to Jim. He'd rely heavily on his current Chairman Rod McCall and possibly a few others on the Board such as Mark Connors, possibly Damian Frawley.

Jim would be involved for sure, covering off on fit within the organisation, buy-in of the strategic vision etc.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would not like to be CEO of a sporting organisation and find myself in a situation where the biggest and most important corporate decision (strategically as well as operationally, incidentally) is beyond my competence to make.

Choosing and recuiting a Head Coach is a hugely important issue, I would have thought, it should be one that the CEO is fully capable of handling, yes, with input from the experts. But if coaching is a black box to the CEO (beyond his ability to comprehend and manage), he is up against it, IMHO.

Put yourself in the situation of being CEO of an AFL club. Could you recruit a coach? Unless you know a lot about the sport, you would be putting a decision that vitally affects your ability to deliver the goods in other people's hands, totally.

It's okay when things are going well. But when things start to get a bit sour, that's when the rubber hits the road, and an in-depth knowledge of the game and the people who are successful at playing and coaching on and off the field becomes crucial.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have thought the CEO would be the driving force behind the search for a new coach, but the board would ultimately make the final decision (with the input of the CEO).

The CEO is there primarily to run a business.

The board is there to oversee everything, particularly the interaction between the running of the business and the sporting team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What do we reckon of this guys?

Obviously this is larger than a tv ad, but I assume they will cut it down somehow for tv, but its the best the ARU have done for a while and I love the theme etc.

Although, I must admit I do prefer the Peter Fenton poem, The Spirit of the Wallabies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Anybody still feeling positive after the humiliation suffered at home by the Reds?

Step up, Jim Carmichael.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What do we reckon of this guys?

Obviously this is larger than a tv ad, but I assume they will cut it down somehow for tv, but its the best the ARU have done for a while and I love the theme etc.

Although, I must admit I do prefer the Peter Fenton poem, The Spirit of the Wallabies.

Not trying to upset people but an extract from my previous post in the "How to promote the game" thread:

The Ode idea has been done by the NRL. Its called Ode to Mungo ball by Thomas Keneally. NRL's 1999 marketing campaign - also their least successful marketing campaign in recent history.

See paragraph 14 of link below: Kicking off the 1999 NRL season with a poem by a famous author and some moody shots probably sounded like a good idea to someone in the NRL marketing department, but it failed to translate in any way as a marketing campaign and is used as an example of marketing failure in sport.

http://www.leaguefreak.com/league-f...op-rugby-league-marketing-campaigns-may-2013/

I have just seen Hooper getting a blow-wave. I have never seen anyone get a blow-wave at a barbers!

I can imagine that over at NRL headquarters they must be totally confused as they spend mega dollars trying to make sure that the last thing they want linked or associated with any FOOTY player is the Police, funny or not. Yet what are the ARU doing?

Can I suggest that the ARU skip the hair and make up and just jump straight to this as the song is great and its a slightly better option that having a bunch of Wallaby player posing in speedo's in a hot tub full of men!

I am so lost with the ARU marketing!

Status
Not open for further replies.