• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby Union (ARU) - Positivity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Not only has Asteron signed as the Australian Super Rugby naming rights partner, but its a 3 year deal. Now all the Tahs need to do is get their sleeve sponsor sorted and we’re done! ( after this week announcing CMC markets and last week announcing Ray White as back of jersey sponsors).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not only has Asteron signed as the Australian Super Rugby naming rights partner, but its a 3 year deal. Now all the Tahs need to do is get their sleeve sponsor sorted and we’re done! ( after this week announcing CMC markets and last week announcing Ray White as back of jersey sponsors).

Good news about Asteron (after I found out who they are, or, rather, who they used to be).

We're not done until the Force get sorted with a sponsor though, are we?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Force have signed up 23 individual sponsors for the front of each jersey. The $ amount is the same at circa $1 mil but there is not 1 front oj jersey sponsor unlike the other teams. Not a bad idea actually.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Force have signed up 23 individual sponsors for the front of each jersey. The $ amount is the same at circa $1 mil but there is not 1 front oj jersey sponsor unlike the other teams. Not a bad idea actually.

I suppose it is better than having a proper main sponsor, but this sort of stopgap is not sustainable, IMHO.

There are significant advantages in good sponsor relationships with substantial organisations.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I suppose it is better than having a proper main sponsor, but this sort of stopgap is not sustainable, IMHO.

There are significant advantages in good sponsor relationships with substantial organisations.

But on a positive note they will be known simply as the Western Force, unlike the St George Queensland Reds, Qantas Wallabies, University of Canberra Brumbies etcetera.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
But on a positive note they will be known simply as the Western Force, unlike the St George Queensland Reds, Qantas Wallabies, University of Canberra Brumbies etcetera.
Actually it's worse they'll be known as:
Bob's fish and Chips, valley Cleaning services, john Arthur's real Estate, ludwig's music house........... western Force. By the time they announce the team entering the field the game will be over.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

We are now a fully professional sport, and we need all the publicity we can get. I for one have absolutely no problem with the Reds being in partnership with St George Bank, or the Wallabies being in partnership with Qantas. The organisations you named are all well respected and the use of their name is a positive for our sport.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think in the current economic climate the Force have had to go this way. It is easier to ask a business for $55K then for $1.5M. We are probably lucky that the Reds, Rebels, Brumbies & Wallabies have existing naming rights contracts. What happens when they come up for renewal over the next few years will be interesting. I would be surprised if Qantas will remain as naming rights for the Wallabies.

On a positive note (as per the thread) we might have the Bunderberg Wallabies. :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good work on the Force on getting that level of sponsorship. But one thing you miss out on with a major sponsor is the added activation and promotion. Its something the Reds work on very hard with their sponsors, particularly St George in terms of them spending money on promoting their sponsorship and thus the Reds. The Brumbies seem to get similar support from Uni of Canberra and Volvo were excellent with the tahs on their recent regional trip.

This big companies have the marketing budget to apply to this sort of additional spend, which the Force partners may not have.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh I agree Reg, but I just think that it is a sign of the times that the Force couldn't find one sponsor. From a club level we are finding that we are getting the same amount of sponsorship in $$$ but it is spread accross a larger number of companies & we have to work harder to get it. Different markets I know but the same presures & indicators will be there at the top end of town I am sure.

But this is straying off the thread. Super Rugby Starts soon.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
We are now a fully professional sport, and we need all the publicity we can get. I for one have absolutely no problem with the Reds being in partnership with St George Bank, or the Wallabies being in partnership with Qantas. The organisations you named are all well respected and the use of their name is a positive for our sport.

I should have put in a :p or something there I think.

It was intended to be a light hearted throwaway comment.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The ARU is not yet in receivership. Although, maybe if the unthinkable happened, it could be the turning point. As they say, you don't start to recover until you hit the absolute bottom.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gee, I seem to be the only poster with anything positive to say.

The Offsiders had ten minutes on rugby this morning, maybe more. Anyway, it was a substantial slice of their programme. They even imported a journalist from the Australian Financial Review who talked a bit about the financial health of our game.

Richard Hinds enjoyed himself hugely.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So I coach my boy's rugby team, who move into Under 9s this year (along with Jets's kid, Mini-Jets). Moving to Under 9s means we now have 10 players on the field. Obviously we need a bigger squad. Unfortunately we've lost one player, who has decided to go play soccer (which I am devastated about and take some of the blame for). But we have five new players - four of which have never played rugby before (the 5th I haven't heard from his parents yet). One of the four played league but I think has been poached by Jets.

So just a small anecdotal incident, but that's good news. Four new rugby players. Makes it hard for the coach, but great to see.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
5 pages in the Terror today devoted to rugby including a fotie of KB (Kurtley Beale) in his smugglers. The second story on the back page also about Blake Ferguson going to rugby. As if we'd takle him....
A worry is that the Tahs game only expecting 25k on Sat night. There are some seriously jaded Tahs fans out there. We should be getting 40k....

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
As part of this thread, anyone noticed the positive correlation between the financial performance of ARU and their major sponsor:p

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Barring injury some good depth, but more importantly I think some good attractive rugby is being played.
  • Palu v Higgers.
  • Hooper v Poey & Gill.
  • Genia v Burgess & Phipps (is playing well).
  • Luke Jones is also putting forward a big statement given he can also play 6.
  • Centre's the spring tour was good, but KB (Kurtley Beale) could also be in the mix.

T

Train Without a Station

DB, flogging the Marlins bandwagon hard with Jones there haha. In all fairness I agree. Plus having met him through Vic Rugby he is a cracker of a bloke so you can't help but wanting to see him do well.

I think your Waratah bias may be showing too. I'm not sure Gill and Pocock need to team up to take up Hooper.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
DB, flogging the Marlins bandwagon hard with Jones there haha. In all fairness I agree. Plus having met him through Vic Rugby he is a cracker of a bloke so you can't help but wanting to see him do well.

I think your Waratah bias may be showing too. I'm not sure Gill and Pocock need to team up to take up Hooper.

Jones - I'd pick him over Dennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.