• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I played in the same club team as a Henry Hutchinson a few years back in Melbourne. He moved interstate (to NSW?), is this the same HH that everyone is talking about?

HH has been playing for Riverview since his Under 14 year and is now in his Under 17 year - so he's been playing for them since 2011.

There's a photo of him playing for Aus Schools last year, when he was Under 16 eligible, in this blog.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/australian-schools-beat-fiji-schools/

Is that the same lad?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Aus Schools 50 - Fiji Schools 15

That's a good scoreline.

Last year Aus Schools beat them by just 31-7 at Knox, and in 2013 they beat them 29-12 in Fiji.

It's a nice trend.

Two years ago Aus Schools lost 24-5 to the NZ A side (Barbarians) with only two of the forwards for the later NZ test starting.

Let's see how the Aussies go against the Baas in the next game when they start most of the eleven players who didn't run-on today.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, my comments above that you responded to re H Fox were of course formulated after watching him after 8 QLD GPS games (when Churchie his team won every one), and yours were understandably formed from a time this year when the QLD GPS season hadn't even commenced. I suspect his play grew quite well with actual continuous competition and that it was sighting this growth that prompted the Schoolboys selectors to finally pick him late in their selection process.

If you're interested, you can see full or part Churchie 2014 GPS home games via the link below and thus you'll see plenty of H Fox in action (just choose the games dated 61 or less days only, the others are from 2013):

https://new.livestream.com/Churchie-LiveStream

Yeah I knew that the Qld GPS boys hadn't played when the nationals started and our GPS lads had two games up already.

Thanks for the link to the Churchie games; unfortunately the first one I tried disappeared after a few minutes and froze, then it came on later at a different point - and kept doing the same thing.

I will try the videos later on, but thanks for posting the link.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
HH has been playing for Riverview since his Under 14 year and is now in his Under 17 year - so he's been playing for them since 2011.

There's a photo of him playing for Aus Schools last year, when he was Under 16 eligible, in this blog.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/australian-schools-beat-fiji-schools/

Is that the same lad?
Yup that's him, pretty good player back then, our game plan was just chuck him the ball, obviously not much has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Match report (from ARU Media) is up on Schools Rugby web site.
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2014/news/australian-schools-defeat-fijian-schools/

Australian Schools 50 Defeated Fiji Schools 15 (H/T Australian Schools lead by 24-10)

Australian Schools
Tries (7) Izaia Perese (2), Joey Fittock (2), Harley Fox, Reece Hewat, Sione Tuipulotu
Conversions (6) Connor O’Shea (4), Harrison Goddard 2
Penalties (1) Connor O’Shea

Fiji Schools
Tries (2) Simon Lilicama, Onisimo Dakainikuro
Conversions (1) Filipe Qoro
Penalties (1) Filipe Qoro

IMG_0913.jpg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I also have a few funny stories about the other three vic boys in the squad. I've played against them numerous times and played with them on a few tours. Tom Blake used to play fullback for his school side, and he once in a game chip kicked me personally twice and scored off both of them. Pretty skillful and quick for a big man.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Match report (from ARU Media) is up on Schools Rugby web site.
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2014/news/australian-schools-defeat-fijian-schools/

Australian Schools 50 Defeated Fiji Schools 15 (H/T Australian Schools lead by 24-10)

Australian Schools
Tries (7) Izaia Perese (2), Joey Fittock (2), Harley Fox, Reece Hewat, Sione Tuipulotu
Conversions (6) Connor O’Shea (4), Harrison Goddard 2
Penalties (1) Connor O’Shea

Fiji Schools
Tries (2) Simon Lilicama, Onisimo Dakainikuro
Conversions (1) Filipe Qoro
Penalties (1) Filipe Qoro

Queensland boys all doing pretty well there..

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How do these kids study?
In the olden days the games were played after the HSC if they involved a tour.

They don't really. HSC boys are screwed as their exams will be almost immediately after they return, whereas VCE (Victorian) boys are a bit more fortunate as their exams don't start till the end of October. Honestly, to get this far unfortunately school work will have already been put on the back burner (though there are a few special cases of very studious talented rugby students).

I also believe there are bonus ATAR points for boys who represent their country?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Tom Blake used to play fullback for his school side, and he once in a game chip kicked me personally twice and scored off both of them. Pretty skillful and quick for a big man.

He played on the wing in Sydney in the Under 16 nationals in 2012. He was hard to stop as a fast big bloke - and he kicked the goals too.

I asked the Vic coach about him at the time and he said it was only his second year of rugby.

Quite a talent.

That was my first look at Sione Tuipulotu and Ah-Mu Tuimaleali'ifano also. I bet the Rebels have all their names penciled in on some clipboard.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That was my first look at Sione Tuipulotu and Ah-Mu Tuimaleali'ifano also. I bet the Rebels have all their names penciled in on some clipboard.

Sione has always been dominant, very quick and strong into contact with a good step too. where as Ahmu has developed very very quickly. He's always been quite talented with the ball in hand, but lacking the strength and size. Over the past two years he's definitely improved those aspects. I noticed Sione scored a try in yesterday's game, anything of note?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dctarget

The game wasn't on TV but the next two games are.

Sione was terrific in the national opens in Sydney and was clearly the best 12 in the tournament, though it's fair to say that his running skills are the best part of his game and that the Rebels outfit will improve his ballwork.

I was looking forward to seeing him pair up with your old mate HH, the Riverview wunderkind, in the Aussie Schools midfield, but he crocked himself before the last round of GPS.

Did you know that HH clocked 10.79secs for 100 metres on the track this year?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Would've been a potent pairing. Is this one of the largest contingents of Victorian players in recent years? Or has there always been a decent amount of Vic boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.