• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
R Moo Toohey - Marley - Arley - EE- Farno. Not hard.

Thank goodness there was no great post war migration of Icelandic folk to Australia Post World War II. How about having Peter Eyjafjallajökull at inside centre?

Besides which HJ you know that after the first beer he would be known as Ey-o

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
dear dear old man I think you've lost the plot.
How many times have I seen you put on here
Please remember these are just kids, just discuss rugby, don't attack them personally.
Maybe time to give it away

I actually agree with Lee Grant. When watching I was surprised to see how "big" he was given he was at the end of the playing season and knowing how many fitness/strength and conditioning sessions these boys do. They are usually ripped and buff like most other boys I have observed in GPS. He may have been carrying injuries to have prevented his fitness program. He played well but could be so much better particularly in these fast moving games.

Bill McLean (32)
@Inside Shoulder

I do know for a fact that there is a Tongan word called, wait for it ... FAKA-'OFA ... better still it actually means to feel sorry for someone/something! LOL

Throw that one at the ref!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I actually agree with Lee Grant. When watching I was surprised to see how "big" he was given he was at the end of the playing season and knowing how many fitness/strength and conditioning sessions these boys do.

He played well but could be so much better particularly in these fast moving games.

All I said was that Fox would play better without the fat around his waist. He was carrying that extra weight in the nationals too months ago and I was surprised that it was still there.

I was also criticised for saying that he seagulled a bit in the nationals, though he had some fine Higginbotham moments. That was true in my eyes and it may have been why he wasn't selected in the original 23.

If those things are considered out of line about a rep player who is now the Oz Schools captain, half the posters in this forum would be be banned.

Ben Dover

Frank Nicholson (4)
You have it so wrong Mr Grant ...
In Hugh Jarses wise words "playing the man not the ball"
If you don't have anything nice (or intelligent) to say, don't say anything at all on the matter...

Ps.. Lets go OZ !!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You have it so wrong Mr Grant .
In Hugh Jarses wise words "playing the man not the ball"
If you don't have anything nice (or intelligent) to say, don't say anything at all on the matter.

Please quote the remarks you took exception to.

Was it when I said he was exactly the type of player I wouldn't have picked to play the Kiwis because he seagulled too much in the nationals?

It was a bit harsh but I don't think it was out of line compared to some of the crap we get on here.

PS Edit - despite my mentioning his seagulling and his weight he was still a pretty good player in the nationals: I was talking about the type of player that I wouldn't play against the Kiwis.

I rated him one of the best in the Qld Red side in a blog, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a blinder tomorrow because some of the SBW offloads he makes can crack defences.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Forum rules state:
1. Speak respectfully to each other

Change: "What planet are you on? Player X was shithouse . "
To: "I didn't see it that way, I thought .

2. Speak respectfully about the players

Change: "Lazy fat bugger with no rugby brains"
To: "Needs to come off his wing and get more involved"

Not only are these statement more respectful, they are more accurate. "Lazy bugger" doesn't mean anything specific.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/rules-of-the-schoolboy-forum.5407/

Observing that a player appears to be carrying some extra weight is different to saying that player x is a "lazy fat bugger."

The rule about playing the ball not the man applies to how one refers to other posters.

The affirmative and the negative have both had their say. Time to move on. There is a Test to win tomorrow.

Bill McLean (32)
However @Hugh Jarse it is my understanding that it perfectly acceptable to make adverse remarks about referees!

I often asked various members of this esteemed group of so and so's if 'their eyes were painted' on?'

If I had of known Tongan back in those days I probably would have expressed my sympathy for them as well! LOL

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It was interesting that Tim Horan mentioned on Rugby HQ last night that Oz Schools were missing three of the best schoolboys in the country for the match tomorrow: Alex Mafi, Henry Hutchison and Angus Crichton.

He must read Green and Gold.

he would have seen them at 'view given the connection - surely?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Daylight saving has already started in NZ so Fox coverage starts at 11:40 AEST on Sport3, guessing kickoff will be around noon.

EDIT: I'll be at work & this site's blocked on our server so I'm hoping stuff.co.nz, which isn't blocked, will be doing live updates. Won't be anywhere as informative/ entertaining as this thread but it'll have to do! Go NZ.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Waiopehu OB, your mob must be going into this match as the red hot favourites.
Anything less than a 20 point victory would be a disappointment for the Black team.

One thing for certain is that both teams will give their absolute utmost to win this match and there will be nothing left on the paddock at the end of 70 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.