• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No live updates on stuff.co.nz & Foxtel has shit itself again (fingers crossed it comes back on for tonight's AB v SA humdinger) so obviously went "go to first unread" on this thread & got a sense of what the game was like. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If your Foxtel comes back on soon, there is a replay of the Schoolboys match on Fox 2 at 6:30pm tonight, after Tasman Makos deal to the Canterbury Lambs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As the Test replay starts on Fox 2, the match report is up on the Schools web site front page.
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2014...s-fight-back-enough-beat-new-zealand-schools/

IMG_1077-e1412396366525-1024x339.jpg

Pic: Aust Schools Web site

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This from the Schools Website had me wondering which game I watched earlier today:
The Australian scrum did well in the early engages against New Zealand Schools despite the noticeable size advantage to the New Zealanders.
I can not recall watching a scrum get shunted as comprehensively as the Darkness did to us in the first scrum in a very very long time. If we did well as was reported, I'm somewhat flabbergasted as to what a poor performance would look like. (And I know that U19 Laws only a 1.5 metre push but a demolition like that makes a rather emphatic statement regardless of the free kick).

Methinks the report writer would describe Cyclone Yasi as some welcome rain to break the drought.

Natal shark

Peter Burge (5)
This from the Schools Website had me wondering which game I watched earlier today:
The Australian scrum did well in the early engages against New Zealand Schools despite the noticeable size advantage to the New Zealanders.
I can not recall watching a scrum get shunted as comprehensively as the Darkness did to us in the first scrum in a very very long time. If we did well as was reported, I'm somewhat flabbergasted as to what a poor performance would look like.

Methinks the report writer would describe Cyclone Yasi as some welcome rain to break the drought.
I agree Hugh they did get better but still a lot of
needed body position of front then the back
will take place

Tom

Frank Row (1)
Just watching the replay now. Rieko Ioane (The number 13 for NZ) has impressed me so far as well. He is making those good set plays NZ has done gel. Haven't seen the secound half yet.

I think there would be less mistakes if it was a dry game. It really did rain hard earlier on. Apart from the scrums I don't think the Australian forwards have done too badly so far.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The weak scrummaging was not our core problem overall - it was a very poorly executed kicking game in H1 (as always with Australian rugby) coupled with poor decisions to take penalty kicks with a young 9 and too far out and against the wind in H1 that at root cost us the game, or made the game very hard to win. Once we/the coaches woke up in H2 and played to our strengths, we performed so much better and might have won the thing.

Tom

Frank Row (1)
Sio Tomkinson the number 12 for NZ won the bronze boot (best player of either side).

Connor Moroney the Australian 7 won best Australian player.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just watching the replay now. Rieko Ioane (The number 13 for NZ) has impressed me so far as well. He is making those good set plays NZ has done gel. Haven't seen the secound half yet.

I think there would be less mistakes if it was a dry game. It really did rain hard earlier on. Apart from the scrums I don't think the Australian forwards have done too badly so far.

Indeed. There's a hard bloc of Aus rugby commentators that have become addicted to the notion that 'every loss we incur is the fault of poor forwards' work' but this analysis and bias so often lacks rigour and a complete view of where we truly failed. It's a kind of fashion. Look closer.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It won't matter anyway! Most of us don't know how to pronounce half of the names so how will we know when they (the announcers) get it wrong? LOL

Me thinks that the announcers are probably counting their blessings insofar as Ah-Mu Tuimaleali’ifano not making the team!

The Sky Sports Caller, Keith Quinn, had no issue with any of the PI type names and absolutely nailed Hapakuki Moala-Liava'a, and Lui Okeamoa-Luamanu.

Calling Ah-Mu Tuimaleali’ifano would have presented Mr Quinn about as much trouble as John Smith would have.

Tom

Frank Row (1)
How do you guys think Australia is going to go against Argentina? I'm not picking an upset but I think Argentina do have a good chance.
Perhaps this is the wrong question to ask in this thread dedicated to the Australian Schoolboys though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reactions: Tom

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Speaking of ^^^
Did we ever hear the official punishment?

@Monty Python is usually not far off the facts. He believes that that there was some form of hearing planned.
I believe there will be a judiciary hearing before Saturday's game. <snip>
I'd imagine that the results of that hearing/judiciary will become public knowledge in due course. I wouldn't sweat on it. It matters little, as long as a fair hearing was held.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
@Monty Python is usually not far off the facts. He believes that that there was some form of hearing planned.

I'd imagine that the results of that hearing/judiciary will become public knowledge in due course. I wouldn't sweat on it. It matters little, as long as a fair hearing was held.

I just feel for the kid, obviously has talent and would hate to see a silly silly moment ruin that all for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.