• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Joe Mac for ARU CEO!!!!

The reputation of League has been in constant decline and hopefully, the poor role models of their modern game are pushing more schools to take up rugby union. It surprises me that the ARU isn't doing more at this level to get schools involved with our game. What an opportunity!

It would probably only take some Gilberts and a few professional players visiting the schools to get things moving... Maybe a few tickets to an empty SFS to see the Tah's

Joe Mac,

I salute you! Nothing like free gift and a visit for from a star player!

Regards,

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
St Gregorys at Campbelltown, a league nursery for donkeys years, offers union I believe - not sure at what level they compete -......bring it on: if we only played one rugby code RWCs would be no contest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What IS is stating, was and probably still is one of the problems with rugby union in this state - it is bloody elist. The average footballer going to a GPS school getting the inside running into rep teams & a business career through the network of old boys (although he could be as dumb a dog shit) -the old money syndrome.

Why was it that the tykes walked away from union as their winter sport in the 50s and why is it that no CCC U16s player was in the final NSW schools team (although Michael obviously pull the pin for whatever reason); because it is still there. Granted, to get one up on their other GPS schools they now opening recruit talented players from lower socio-economic areas for bragging rights and probably will not be pushing the the old boys network to obtain business careers for these boys once they lose their usefulness to the school - that will be for their in-bred offspring.

The ARU is trying the break this down, doubt they will ever succeed; that is why these charles are anti the junior gold squads because it is not elist but based on what their recruiters believe these boys will show in talent 4-5 years down the track.

This should get the old boys fired up.

By the way, Christian Brothers, Lewisham before it become a conclave for our middle eastern cousins.:lmao:

You are spot on with your interpretation of my efforts. I'm not trying to put anyone down I am trying to persuade people that the elitist private school comps have passed their use by dates, even for kids of average abilities.
The GPS recruiting does not help though because it means there are 2 or 3 really good sides, and 2 or 3 mediocre sides, if you're lucky. So the comp gives the kids 2 hard games in a season which is only 6, 7 or 8 weeks long. Tradition dictates that these kids dominate the state selections whether they deserve it or not.
Doesn't seem to me to be any way to develop players.....or even give average players consistent interesting rugby.
I should declare that I am a product of that system.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think most people would agree with you.

On the other hand you need the private school rugby system as an anchor churning out all the teams on Saturday.

What is needed is a quantum leap in growing the non-private sector albeit less some stars who get recruited, and get the best of both worlds.

There are a lot more potential TPNs, AACs, Palus and Hornes going to state schools, as they did, and something has to be done to get them playing rugby in the first place. Then you have to lock them in somehow as many tend to drop out at 14/15. At least private schools keep them in the sport about 3 years longer.

The missionary work in getting the gospel of rugby to young people is poor compared to what the Aussie Rules people do. That's where we need the biggest improvement.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thank god (haha) not all the 'tykes' gave up on rugby. We'd be about 150 wallabies poorer.

No - the Wallabies would be 150 tyke's better off: joke
Lee: there is a lot of talk about how well AFL is doing but apparently the numbers dont quite tell the same story.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
No - the Wallabies would be 150 tyke's better off: joke
Lee: there is a lot of talk about how well AFL is doing but apparently the numbers dont quite tell the same story.

I haven't seen any numbers but I live in the Rugby stronghold of Mosman and streets are littered with kids in swannies jerseys all weekend because of these damn Auskick programs going on everywhere...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Aussie Rules is our biggest enemy not rugby league which we have been competing with in rugby territory for over 100 years.

The AFL take a long view of things and will not be bothered by number increases short term. They think in decades and are funded well enough to do so.

We should fear them and do something about it driven by the fear. There is only so much money in the kitty and I think that an enquiry should be done on the best use of it, to review the medium and long term strategy. This need not in itself cost a lot of money as retired people with a rugby, financial and strategic thinking background could be sourced to volunteer to do it. It should be independent of the management and report to the ARU Board.

Having been involved in such things in my business life I know the value of questioning the status quo by outsiders and the favourable outcomes possible. Sometimes management doesn't know what it doesn't know yet the board relies on their advice to formulate policy.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
We don't want the mosman soft cocks anyway.
Before I get abused: I grew up in mosman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder- do you just cut and paste same bullshit about certain schools producing 'softcocks' and certain suburbs producing 'softcocks' in every post? I thought we were past this topic?

The reason why there is a harder edge to many League players is because they have more players to chose from at the topflight- not because they are from poorer families. The fact that we have won 2 World Cups (hopefully 3 this year) with the smallest player pool is testament to the physical and mental toughness of our Wallaby teams, that consistently perform above their weight.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Inside Shoulder- do you just cut and paste same bullshit about certain schools producing 'softcocks' and certain suburbs producing 'softcocks' in every post? I thought we were past this topic?

The reason why there is a harder edge to many League players is because they have more players to chose from at the topflight- not because they are from poorer families. The fact that we have won 2 World Cups (hopefully 3 this year) with the smallest player pool is testament to the physical and mental toughness of our Wallaby teams, that consistently perform above their weight.

Which schools have I said produce soft cocks: you had better post the links to the comments to substantiate your allegation - or apologize for your stupidity
By the way I would have thought that since I admitted to having grown up there would have been enough of a hint even for the feeble minded like you to perceive that it was intended as a humorous remark - even if it failed the test of actually being humorous.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Arrgggg, see below for five minutes of my life I wont ever get back;

Comments from our very own Greenandgold revolutionary; I salute you comrad 'Inside Shoulder'

“As a solicitor you must have been exposed to the old boys network. In other industries it opens doors that are closed to the rest of us.”

“the elitist private school comps have passed their use by dates”

“No - the Wallabies would be 150 tyke's better off: joke”

“We don't want the mosman soft cocks anyway.”

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not one mention of soft cocks other than in the post you criticized: which if taken literally would make me a soft cock.
How does an old boys network suggest soft cockedness....?
There is no hint of a suggestion in calling the elitist private schools elitist private schools that they are soft cocks: i went to one of the most elite so, again, I am calling myself a soft cock if such a thing can be inferred from the comment.
My father went to your old school, his father was the dux of that school - "joke" means joke.
A pity you didn't benefit from the jesuit's instruction as they did.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Boys,

Thicker skins please and remember this is a bastion for free speech and opinion, therefor I'll share mine.

While in no way do i denegrate the effort and result of the win for AUS schools last week, but I think it has managed to cloak the problems that led to the fretting of the previous 3 results for the schools teams.

Comments such as this years team not being a vintage one are foolish to make in the first place as rarely do more than a handfull of players from each year go on to greatness at senior levels.

What's more important is identifying and then rectifying some of the inherant problems with this particular pathway. Points I'd like to see addressed are;

1. As the the results of matches between the different associations are not part of a competition or for perpetual trophies then each association should forward 2 squad lists that are then pooled and split into sides named after something of potential importance (sponsors, past wallaby captains, GPS headmasters (naughty), etc).

GPS x 2
CAS x 2
ISA x 2
CHS x 2 (metropolitan only)
Country X 2 (include those who would normally be lost to CHS)
CCC x 1
ACIES x 1

12 teams that could play as 4 x groups of 3 (2 x games) followed by semi's and finals as determined by group placings (2 more games).

Allow a weeks training then play the games over a 2 week period.

Why I hear you ask. To make selections based on performance in surroundings closer to what will be experienced at the next level and to give talented players a greater chance to show potential on an even playing field. Even great players find it hard to look good if their team is substantially weaker than the opposition and they spend all game regrouping behind the posts and equally lesser players can benefit riding on the talents of others in stronger sides which is then exposed at the next level.

2. Open age teams are for yr 11 & 12 boys only. Let the precoscious talents from below find their feet and develop before having their shot at glory and respect the talents of those above. All you achieve by playing kids above their age is to deny the older boys their chance which lessens the pools of senior talent.

3. Select players for higher honours in the position they trialled at. High level representative sides are not for taking a punt, players must have proved themselves in a position to be given the recognition. Anybody who has coached at a reasonable level knows that there are different skills required to play even left or right wing let alone 1 & 3 or 6,7 and 8 or 10,12 & 15.

4. Select on foundation skills for each position alongside a players performance, (fitness, strength, speed, body proportion/type and playing skills- kicking etc)not just on the back of one good half of rugby.

Yes, I know that there have been young prodigies who have bucked the trend and had success playing as younger players and changing positions (of which most work and continuing success was at senior club level first) but these are the rarity not the usual.

Got to go as some pigs just flew over the fairies in the back garden.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Sounds like a good idea number 9 however these kids probably can't afford to dedicate any more time to Rugby with HSC looming at that time of year. Maybe they reconvene in January for an extended camp with all of the kids involved at rep level playing a competition for three weeks. They could invite all of the selectors at Super 15 and div 1 club level along to canvass the talent and then they could create a two tiered draft for the teams to pick players for the future.

They could then have a Televised presentation for the draft on Foxsports with highlights of the players which I think would attract a large audience and make a bit of coin to fund the process.

Sounds like an amazing idea to me!

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
I'd rather see it just replace the 3 weeks of rugby they call the NSW schools trials.

Bill McLean (32)
Sounds like a good idea number 9 however these kids probably can't afford to dedicate any more time to Rugby with HSC looming at that time of year...

Joe Mac,

Would your opinion with respect to time be amenable to change if such lads elected to complete their HSC via 'Pathways'?

For those that are unaware, through 'Pathways elite athletes are able to complete the final year of the HSC (i.e. 'Year 12') over two years instead of one.

Your thoughts?

Regards,

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
He played for Oz A Schools on Tues. night, not yesterday for the main team. He went OK on Tuesday and was part of an improved lineout, but it was hard to shine in a team that struggled with most aspects of rugby, especially in the tough stuff.

Bit late, but whatever, the Schoolboys site indicates he (Staniforth) did get 10 or so minutes. The article has a good match review, squads and substitutions.

http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=186900

Status
Not open for further replies.