• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wantok

How many of the NTS boys from all States got into the two Aust schoolboy teams ?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I have no doubt that NTS participation and involvement with some schools and individuals was pivotal and that a number of boys were denied opportunities because of it.

On the Goodman front - I agree with CHS 72. His is not the right sort of aggression or hardness. I also agree witht he seagulling comments about Connor but I would still have him over Goodman, who is not a seven.

C

catchpole

Wantok & CHS 72,

Can't help with NSW-NTS but information listed below is on the QLD Rugby website:

The 2009 squad to commence NTS training in November is:

Returning players:
Simon Morahan
Jarrad Butler
Joel Faulkner
Jordan Tuapou
Paul Alo Emile
Matthew Garland
Michael Bermingham
Cayden Matehaere
James May
Michael Stolberg
Liam Gill
Luke Edwards
School leavers returning:
David Feao
James Ambrosini
Eddie Bredenhann
New for 2009:
Sam Cox
Sean Cox
Conrad Brown
Will Slipper
Matt Lucas
Mitchell Carpenter
Joe Galagavesi
Kenny Robertson
Lucas Frater
Nick Malouf
Chris Sautia
Stephen Hunt
Curtis Browning
Billy Brittain
Kimani Situati
George Morseau

woods

Bob McCowan (2)
anyones thoughts on holloways selection in aus a?
one of only 3 CAS boys to make the squads, so chs 72 dont be to disheartened...
but yeh, how did he go up there after a solid few games for CAS 1's?
and glad to hear your thoughts on stuey, but his aggression is controlled when it counts, a few yellow cards here and there are expected from a 7 of his qualities!

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
anyones thoughts on holloways selection in aus a?
one of only 3 CAS boys to make the squads, so chs 72 dont be to disheartened...
but yeh, how did he go up there after a solid few games for CAS 1's?
and glad to hear your thoughts on stuey, but his aggression is controlled when it counts, a few yellow cards here and there are expected from a 7 of his qualities!

I thought Jed played well throughout the NSW trials and the tournament although I think he is a number 8 rather than a lock. Papa made a big mistake not playing him at 8. Hopefully he gets a run there with the Australia A team. Given CAS beat CHS and ISA they are definitely underrepresented.

woods

Bob McCowan (2)
yeh confirmed my thoughts, a much better 8, coming from a league/country union background, he runs f***ing hard, also plays 8 at school and did so for CAS...
another one of papa's experiments gone wrong? btw did havea play 8 or 7??

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Just some positive feedback: me and the other mods really appreciate the adjustment in tone on this board. :thumb

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
yeh confirmed my thoughts, a much better 8, coming from a league/country union background, he runs f***ing hard, also plays 8 at school and did so for CAS...
another one of papa's experiments gone wrong? btw did havea play 8 or 7??

Havea played at 8 and went cross field all day. He needs to straighten up and get more involved at the breakdown. Jed is slighly smaller but a hell of a lot tougher, he gets my vote and has a real future, particualrly once he learns the finer points of the game.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
And then this:

Havea played at 8 and went cross field all day. A big soft unit who punches well below his weight.

If you are having trouble trying to understand the rules of this board, think about it this way. What would you say to these kids if you were their coach.

Option 1. "You are a big soft unit who punches below your weight."
Option 2. Something else, e.g., "You need to straighten the attack, use your leg drive in tackles."

Please take Option 2 in the future, Informer.

W

Wantok

I was surprised that Tonga the Qld 2 T.H didnt get a run in one of the Aust teams - IMO an excellent "running" prop and loose forward.

I watched some of the games and did note the technical difficulties Qld scrums had ( I am a tired old prop myself) , I think someone else also noted earlier also pre and post engagement body positioning was poor for both Qld teams - they where nearly allways engaging with weight still on back foot and getting pushed back as a result.

I see this a lot , big kids who have allways been big develop bad technique, but get really found out against real scrummagers and in particular when they move out of schoolboy ranks.

Selection at schoolboy level seems to favour this approach of getting good ball runners as opposed to real scrummagers, possibly for all the right reasons.

N

NorthernSon

My comments relating to the virtue of Goodman and Killingworth as our best back row combo stems from a desire to see Australia win. The Liam Gill and Connor style and soft touch skills are great in open or a 7 a side game and may they shine in that format or at OZ tag and Touch.
The disappointment of Aus schools and Aus 20's in not putting our tasman foes to the sword in recent years is related directly in a passive style displayed at the breakdown at that level.
We need to find and nuture true Diamonds not Crystals ( they all look the same at a distance and even close up but when put under pressure only one will not crack). Robbie Deans has been soughting out his diamonds and discarding his crystals in recent months, Elsom Brown, Pockock, Higginbotham and Hodgson have the characteritics and the attributes of true Diamonds. From recent years only Hooper, Hickey, Killingworth, Goodman and a few others (cut done in selections or injury in 2009 and 2010) at schoolboy level have displayed the level of physical presence to retain and win ball.
Let us play the preliminary OZ matches as trials but please pick a squad of diamonds for NZ and stop the rot!

T

tranquility

First of all, Doc thankyou for highlighting my post - but I am a little confused because you never attempted to answer it? so I asked again, how tall is Curtis Browning?

and secondly addressed at NorthernSon - do you honestly believe that Liam Gill is not built for 15 man rugby and is ineffective at the breakdown? Liam has been playing incredible rugby in the Brisbane premiere grade comp as an underage, undersized flanker and has out scavenged everyone. Not to mention his performances at the U20 world cup as the youngest player in the comp. With a little more weight he will have no problem playing senior rugby. Could you elaborate further on his short comings?

Thanks.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
NorthernSon,

I agree with your sentiments but I still don't think Goodman is a diamond. There is a difference between being hard and being a thug. I must agree with you about Hickey though. I really rated him. He is hard. I don't think much of hooper. He gets to many breakdowns and flaps around a bit. Colby Fainga'a is more effective. Liam Gill is feisty and effective. He looks good.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
NorthernSon,

I agree with your sentiments but I still don't think Goodman is a diamond. There is a difference between being hard and being a thug. I must agree with you about Hickey though. I really rated him. He is hard. I don't think much of hooper. He gets to many breakdowns and flaps around a bit. Colby Fainga'a is more effective. Liam Gill is feisty and effective. He looks good.

In the light of the moderator's earlier comments I can only assume that calling Goodman a thug breaches all the rules of this forum and that the poster will be dealt with accordingly. Enough is enough, this illinformed and malicious personal attack is cowardley and way over the top.

For the record, Gill is going nowhere in the 15 man game, while Hooper will be playing super 14 for many years to come taking over from Smith at the Brumbies. He goes HARD just like Goodman, not pussyfooting around in sevens.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I accept that rebuff. But I still prefer the other players. I'm not sure why you don't rate Gill when you rated Hickey.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I accept that rebuff. But I still prefer the other players. I'm not sure why you don't rate Gill when you rated Hickey.

I never rated Hickey, in fact I have never seen or heard of him. Pretty simple re Gill, he is too small and plays a low impact running game. More to the point why don't you rate Hooper who ran on in super 14's first year after leaving school and scored a try in his first outing. I doubt Gill will ever get past club rugby.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Ok Informer. Wrong guy. I still accept the rebuff.

On hooper, don't get me wrong, he like all the others are great players. We are dealing with degrees or shades of difference at a high level. I am impressed by his work rate and the fact that he gets to most breakdowns. It's what he does there that I question. I prefer my open side to be at less breakdowns, but have decisive impact at those he injects himself into. Like mccaw. He is more like Waugh.

T

tranquility

I never rated Hickey, in fact I have never seen or heard of him. Pretty simple re Gill, he is too small and plays a low impact running game. More to the point why don't you rate Hooper who ran on in super 14's first year after leaving school and scored a try in his first outing. I doubt Gill will ever get past club rugby.

So just so we both understand. Hooper is a full year older than Gill and because he played super 14 and scored a try on debut he is better than Gill because Gill doesn't have a dominant running game?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Informer, you don't "pussyfoot" around in the Australian 7s. It's a valuable platform to keep players just on the outside of the S14 system in a fully professional environment.

You don't go into the Aus 7s to fuck around, you go to play professional rugby when it's the only option that doesn't involve you disappearing to Europe or Japan. The way Gill performed at the Under 20 WC (at level past club rugby in itself) at only 17 proves that he is a genuinely tough and very promising player.

Also, Smith as great as he was (not to mention very tough and a consistent preformer) was certainly not a hard-man type 7 like this Goodman fellow (who I've never seen play but sounds more like vintage Waugh). Smith was very much of the link-man mold and compares to neither Gill or Goodman in any way shape or form.

Let's not let our passionate support for a particular player make us say outlandish things about another.

Status
Not open for further replies.