• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Spewn

I don't think that Goodman is a diamond either, but I wouldn't call him a thug. He looks like an excellent leader who gets a lot out of his team mates but they would have to answer if that is so, or not. Was not surprised to see him overlooked for the Oz Ones team though.

Agree with you about Gill also. I'll warrant that he'll be more than just a 7s player as a man even though others will be bigger than he will be.

Agree that Colby Finger is a good player, but disagree about Hooper flapping around and that he's a Waugh player. He's a better linker than Phil was on his best day at the same age.

But who knows for sure about players who have played so little senior rugby; you could be right - one thing for sure: whoever emerges as the better player is going to be a good 'un.

In one way I regret Salvi coming back because it will take away from the contest between the two young 7s for the starting spot at the Brumbies. I was hoping that Colby would go to Melbourne after Hooper got his S15 contract, but he was signed up later also.

enforcer

I thought that Smith got quite tough later in his career whereas he was a bit of an 8 playing 7 earlier. He did snaffle a lot of pill in those early years, don't get me wrong, but there was a lot of intelligence used about where and when to apply that skill whereas Waugh was at the coal face all day - or more exactly, whenever he could get there.

R

Ron

In regards to the flankers going for positions in the 2010 schoolboys teams i think they are all pretty evenly matched. The ones i know are the NSW ones, goodman, conor, killingworth, gordon broome. i would not know who to pick if i was a selector and to be honest i would probably go with the more physically developed players who would be able to handle the heat in the bigger fixtures against the likes of the kiwis. Those two being Killingworth and goodman

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

enforcer

I thought that Smith got quite tough later in his career whereas he was a bit of an 8 playing 7 earlier. He did snaffle a lot of pill in those early years, don't get me wrong, but there was a lot of intelligence used about where and when to apply that skill whereas Waugh was at the coal face all day - or more exactly, whenever he could get there.

You are probably correct Lee. I haven't heavily been following the sport of rugby for long at all, probably 5 years or so.

We tend to pick up the game later on in life in Victoria.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
More surprised that the Daily Terror would have anything on Rugby. I am sure the editorial staff will get in trouble for allowing that sort of stuff and not slavishly promoting that self styled "Greatest Game of All": the opiate of the masses.

But good on him: it is pleasing to see that the School players are getting more widely distributed and not solely from a few GPS/ CAS schools. And as long as that is due to those other school improving and not the original few declining that must be a good thing. Though the "religion" still needs quite a leg-up in some parts of Sydney (and of course the state)

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Lee,

Some valid points. I wait to see how Hooper develops, but I guess I am biased towards a Smith type of flanker as I have posted on a number of occasions. I guess the proof is seeing the U200 selctors preferring Gill to Hooper unless I missed soemthing. For the record, I think Goodman is a great player. I would just like to see the indiscretions removed from his game. I actually see him moving into the front row as hooker. When he does, he will be one hell of a hard nut up front.

D

Doc

First of all, Doc thankyou for highlighting my post - but I am a little confused because you never attempted to answer it? so I asked again, how tall is Curtis Browning?

and secondly addressed at NorthernSon - do you honestly believe that Liam Gill is not built for 15 man rugby and is ineffective at the breakdown? Liam has been playing incredible rugby in the Brisbane premiere grade comp as an underage, undersized flanker and has out scavenged everyone. Not to mention his performances at the U20 world cup as the youngest player in the comp. With a little more weight he will have no problem playing senior rugby. Could you elaborate further on his short comings?

Thanks.

Sorry mate.

Browning is still young and may grow, but I'd say 99.9% chance he won't hit 2m, and therefore will be a 6 or 8. Very few of the locks around will end up playing there ie Bridges, Carpenter. Reiser and this chap from Sydney are much more likely to hit the height minimums.

Find the anti-Gill sentiment hilarious. He was the youngest player in the entire u20 wc and was certainly in the top 5 players in the whole thing. He got alot of respect from the entire rugby world for his ability. Most people I've heard comment rate Gill as the best they have ever seen at the breakdown, including some in very high spaces. He was a standout in the reds 2nds at 17, will wear the Reds number 7 at some stage in 2010 and make it his own by 2012.

I'm not saying the brumby guys are better or worse, but Gill is arguably the most decorated player produced in this country in a long time. The years (2) those guys have make huge differences in physical development.

R

rugby_man

I can't separate Michael Hooper and Liam Gill. They are both very good young players who I think in time will be fighting for the Wallabies 7 jersey. Colby Fainga'a is a good player but I wouldn't put him in the league of the other two previously mentioned. I rate Eddie Quirk as well, he is a good young player and plays extremely hard, especially at the breakdown.

R

rugbyfan

Can't wait for players to join into colts. I'm guessing many players that have been pushed aside are going to shine, i can put money on that. People say 'Aussie schooboys is the only way to the big level', i disagree, these kids will push harder from missing out on this opportunity, i'm so sick of some of these people on this forum doubting everyone.

It looks as though parents/coaches/spectators are the main people on this forum, i give you some advice 'build them up don't tear them down'. Boys like Stuey Goodman have made the schoolboys side due to his aggression, and here some people are saying 'you wouldn't want him to get to angry as it has a negative impact on the game', thats a load of bull, rugby is a physical and mental game, and hearing people talk about Goodman in a negative light is a disgrace

I have also read that Liam Gill is not going to have a chance to make Super 15, who the hell is anyone to judge on anyone elses future, i honestly cannot be bothered to read through this whole forum as i grow tired of this nowitalls trying to pretend they know everything about these players

You better lighten it, its only kids who have many more experiences and growing ahead of them.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Can't wait for players to join into colts. I'm guessing many players that have been pushed aside are going to shine, i can put money on that. People say 'Aussie schooboys is the only way to the big level', i disagree, these kids will push harder from missing out on this opportunity, i'm so sick of some of these people on this forum doubting everyone.

Everyone is sure "X" will or won't make it and have reasons for saying so. But doing well at schoolboys or U20's is no guarantee that five years on you'll even be playing Shute. Nick Farr-Jones, Phil Kearns, John Eales and a lot of other champions didn't make schoolboys. That should cause some reflection on the certainty of "X" joining the hall of fame.

D

DEER HUNTER

It looks as though parents/coaches/spectators are the main people on this forum, i give you some advice 'build them up don't tear them down'. Boys like Stuey Goodman have made the schoolboys side due to his aggression, and here some people are saying 'you wouldn't want him to get to angry as it has a negative impact on the game', thats a load of bull, rugby is a physical and mental game, and hearing people talk about Goodman in a negative light is a disgrace

I have also read that Liam Gill is not going to have a chance to make Super 15, who the hell is anyone to judge on anyone elses future, i honestly cannot be bothered to read through this whole forum as i grow tired of this nowitalls trying to pretend they know everything about these players

You better lighten it, its only kids who have many more experiences and growing ahead of them.
The powers that be in Australian Rugby have published a flow chart which shows the pathway as they see it to NTS, Aust Schools, Aust 20's, S15, Wallabies. I agree with everything you say and also believe It should be Aust 18's not Aust Schools.

G

Goldenone

Morning all.
I agree with your evaluation of Eddie Quirk.My son played with Ed and against him ( as well as Gill, and Goodman on a trip that Barker made up here) in GPS comps and he rates Ed as the superior to both of these guys for the same reasons you mentioned.All good players though.At the end of the day it is still only a game and,as upset as some people ( has anybody asked the boys ??) are ,life goes on.
I was pulled up by an irate parent at a recent school match and regaled for half-an-hour as to why their boy wasn't selected,blaming everybody from coaches to managers,entire school cultures etc.When I asked whether this particular lad was considering Rugby as his life career path,the answer was,oh no he wants to do be an engineer,he probably won't play anymore !!
So,are we being fair on the boys in all this discussion ? At the end of the day it all comes down to " you gotta wanna",those that have the drive and ambition to achieve higher levels on the paddock wil do the extra strength & skill sessions etc and perhaps forgo higher academic rewards.It is their decision and quite unfair for anonymous people to denegrate the abilities of any of the boys that played or have gone before.It is a bit like comparing any good Oz cricket team to Bradmans lot !!!

T

TheTruth

Sorry mate.

Browning is still young and may grow, but I'd say 99.9% chance he won't hit 2m, and therefore will be a 6 or 8. Very few of the locks around will end up playing there ie Bridges, Carpenter. Reiser and this chap from Sydney are much more likely to hit the height minimums.

Find the anti-Gill sentiment hilarious. He was the youngest player in the entire u20 wc and was certainly in the top 5 players in the whole thing. He got alot of respect from the entire rugby world for his ability. Most people I've heard comment rate Gill as the best they have ever seen at the breakdown, including some in very high spaces. He was a standout in the reds 2nds at 17, will wear the Reds number 7 at some stage in 2010 and make it his own by 2012.
what Iu find at the moment that is halarious is that Gill is being talked up - guy is small (at moment) - hopefully will grow as has heaps of talent but I know a kid in the under 7's who is promising as well. Just have some perspective please - let him develop

I'm not saying the brumby guys are better or worse, but Gill is arguably the most decorated player produced in this country in a long time. The years (2) those guys have make huge differences in physical development.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

2m is an ideal height but really anyone over 1.95m (or there abouts) can play lock at a high level. Even Dennis has a crack at Aussie A and (briefly) Wartahs 2nd row at 1.92m.

Playing 2nd row is about your mentality and strengths around the park as much as it is about your height. In my opinion, you only really need one 2m tall lineout lock in a team anyway.

D

Double V

But good on him: it is pleasing to see that the School players are getting more widely distributed and not solely from a few GPS/ CAS schools.

Doesn't mention he attended Waverley until year 11.

T

tranquility

Another question on Browning, I saw that he is listed as a yr 11. Does this mean that he is 16 OR that he is doing senior over three years which would make him 18 and the same age as the NSW players next year? BSHS love that trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.