• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
David Lolohea, George Kent, Jordan Reid, Jesse Harris and Brogan Roods

If your suggesting these players for the Combined States side I think you may find that the shadow players that are not required for 1's and 2's are the players that will be considered. Of these I think Kent, Reid and Roods are shadow players

R

rugbyfan

"2. Any player so exempted is eligible only to play in the Championships and is not eligible to be selected in any ARFSU Representative Team, e.g. Combined States, Australia A, or Australia."
- Why is COMBINED STATES categorised with Australia A & Australia? If they play against NSW and QLD etc? Also, how are the trainings performed? Do the players just meet in QLD for the tournament? Sorry, my knowledge is petty on this CS selections

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
"2. Any player so exempted is eligible only to play in the Championships and is not eligible to be selected in any ARFSU Representative Team, e.g. Combined States, Australia A, or Australia."
- Why is COMBINED STATES categorised with Australia A & Australia? If they play against NSW and QLD etc? Also, how are the trainings performed? Do the players just meet in QLD for the tournament? Sorry, my knowledge is petty on this CS selections

Me either, I used to but with WA and Vic both playing in the Tournament this year so I can't really picture combined states being competitive.

R

rugbyfan

Well with all this banter about players missing out on the opportunity to play for NSW and QLD, the CS team should be pretty strong. I just find it confusing how it is all selected etc, im aware the head coach is from QLD and the assistant coach is from NSW - how are the players selected from, for example, WA? If the coaches (im assuming the coaches select their own team) have only viewed QLD rugby and NSW rugby? Or do they just hear reviews about the shadow players from each state and make their decision based on that?

geez, time for a brewskie, my head is spinning

R

rugby_man

The Combined States side can look something like this:

Combined States

1. David Lolohea (NSW CHS 1)
2. Clarrie Moore (NSW GPS 2) - NSW Schools Under 16 2009
3. Michael Murphy (QLD GPS 3) - LMNI Under 16 2008
4. Jordan Reid (NSW CAS 1)
5. Jay Atkins (QLD GPS 2) - QLD Red Under 16 2009
6. Winiata Barrett (QLD GPS 3) - Qld Red Under 16 2009
7. Brayden Tapara (South Australia) - SA Under 16 2009
8. Morris Hodges (LMNI) - LMNI Under 16 2008 *
9. Mark Bannon (NSW GPS 2) - NSW Schools Under 16 2008
10. Billy Macklin (South Australia) - SA Under 16 2008
11. Malcolm Van Dyk (South Australia) - SA Under 16 2008
12. Andrew Muirhead (LMNI) - LMNI Under 16 2009 *
13. Nuia Puaka (Victoria Pres. XV) - Victoria Under 16 2009
14. Alan Faalavaau (Victoria 2nd XV) - Victoria Under 16 2008, 2009
15. Zac Santo (QLD CSS 1) - QLD Red Under 16 2009

16. Daniel O'Leary (QLD CSS 1) - QLD Red Under 16 2009
17. Isaac Mofalesi (Northern Territory) - NT Under 16 2009
18. Blake Cullen (QLD GPS 3) - National Indigenous Under 16 2008, 2009
19. Nathaniel Deans (NSW GPS 1) - NSW Schools Under 16 2009
20. Ryan O'Connell (QLD CSS 1) - QLD White Under 2009
21. Dean Phillips (LMNI)
22. Isaac Taulelei (Northern Territory) - NT Under 2008
23. Brogan Roods (NSW GPS 2) - Sydney Juniors Under 16 2009

* Lloyd McDermott National Indigenous

Brogan Roods could easily start but numbers don't really matter in tournaments such as these. I tried to fit in some of the best players from the Division II championships. Looks competitive to me IMO. As long as we can include the best players from the other states than combining them with some of the best players who missed out on selections in one of the two NSW or QLD teams, it's a good concept. It also gives players who are 17 with rep experience and players who are returning next year a chance to see how the Championships work and how hard it is.

R

rugbyfan

I dont think the selectors want to try and take that approach of 'lets get the youngings use to it for next year', well at least i hope not. I think CS is a fantastic way for the boys who miss out on, for example QLD selections to have another pathway to playing higher level rugby. I just hope this team isnt biased towards, for example GPS players who missed out, as it would be a shame to not have a diversified team to represent CS

Plus i also believe the team should only be picked from the shadow players who missed out, as i just noticed, for examploe Lolohea didnt get selected for NSW at all

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
- Why is COMBINED STATES categorised with Australia A & Australia? If they play against NSW and QLD etc?

I think it's because the individuals states: NSW, Qld, WA and Vic, plus the ACT, are responsible for their organisation and selections but Oz Schools Rugby does that for Combined States.

R

rugbyfan

Ah i see, but CS is still the same level as, for example - NSW1'S, QLD2'S etc. I was just confused as to why they were talking about CS and Australia in the same sentence, as i was under the assumption that CS is another pathway for schoolboys who missed out on (NSW, QLD etc) to reach the Australian sides.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
i was under the assumption that CS is another pathway for schoolboys who missed out on (NSW, QLD etc) to reach the Australian sides.

According to whispers' last post that is exactly what is happening for the first time this year:

There is no info on the Australian Rugby Football Schools Union site (http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/ ) on the change of policy however it was broadcast infinitum during the Qld trials that for the first time players from Qld and NSW not making their respective state teams were eligible for inclusion in the Combined States team.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
The CS model has been in CHS rugby league for a while now. At each state carnival there are two teams known as the Presidents X111 entered in the 15 and 18 years competitions. The Presidents team accommodate players who were injured during the selection process for their region or were unlucky to miss out on selection due to the strength of certain positions.

At the state carnival this year the under 18 team won two of their three games and a few of their players made the CHS team (including Gerard McCallum who just got a call up). Some over the years have gone on to Australian Schoolboy selection. I noticed CCC have established a Presidents team too this year in RL. The idea is catching on.

R

rugbyfan

Well considering the OZ School championships, are on the 6th, have they named a team/going to?

U

Upright

There is no info on the Australian Rugby Football Schools Union site (http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/ ) on the change of policy however it was broadcast infinitum during the Qld trials that for the first time players from Qld and NSW not making their respective state teams were eligible for inclusion in the Combined States team. That team we were told was to be announced today.
I can think of a couple of lads who would be holding their breath for that opportunity.

As for the strength of the two teams, in my opinion the Qld I team is by far the stronger on paper. As mentioned before, none of the AIC players really stood out sufficiently to supplant the GPS players so the Qld II team I would hope are very strong on teamwork rather than individual ability. Having said that I am sure they represent a serious threat to anyone playing them for that reason.

rugbywhisperer,
If Qld I are as strong as you say and NSW II are by some accounts the stronger of the two NSW teams, then this may be the match of the tournament. I am looking forward to it.

R

rugbywhisperer

rugbywhisperer,
If Qld I are as strong as you say and NSW II are by some accounts the stronger of the two NSW teams, then this may be the match of the tournament. I am looking forward to it.

If as the NSW people say the NSW II is the better side then yes the game next Friday night will be a cracker and I am by no means confident from our end as the No2 teams have a habit of performing above their weight.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well considering the OZ School championships, are on the 6th, have they named a team/going to?

If you are talking about the Combined States team: today is the last day of the Div II comp in Geelong ; so it should be named this afternoon.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The CS model has been in CHS rugby league for a while now. At each state carnival there are two teams known as the Presidents X111 entered in the 15 and 18 years competitions.

There is something vaguely similar in U/16 schools rugby in NSW. For example: GPS doesn't have a team, nor trials of course; but a Joeys lad could be invited to play in the Presidents U/16 team.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Combined States team is not available at official sources as I write this but there is talk on the NSW Schools thread that 10 lads from Qld and NSW have been included in the CS team.

The indigenous LMD Team won the Div II Championships in Geelong today so one hopes that a few of their boys made it into the squad also.

C

chief

I wouldn't put it past the QRU to charge me admittance to enter Ballymore next week should I attend the finals day. Can someone please tell me they won't?

I won't hesitate to still go, but come on its schoolboy Rugby.

R

rugbywhisperer

I wouldn't put it past the QRU to charge me admittance to enter Ballymore next week should I attend the finals day. Can someone please tell me they won't?
I won't hesitate to still go, but come on its schoolboy Rugby.

Chiefy, if I remember corectly they charged for the Qld trials a few years ago and for the Australia v NZ schoolboy test last year.
if you have a pocket they will raid it to be sure.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Combined States side is

1 Blake Cullen QLD
2 Tim Reid NSW
3 Patelo Tatuilo NSW
4 Sam Reiser QLD
5 William Skelton NSW
6 Jay Adkins QLD
7 Josh Frater QLD
8 Jordan Reid NSW
9 Tim Duchesne NSW
10 Jake Milne QLD
11 Garrett Nowlan QLD
12 Michael Freeman NSW
13 Hymel Hunt QLD
14 Ray Buchanan NSW
15 John O’Connor QLD
16 Daniel O’Leary QLD
17 Jake Schatz QLD
18 Laiatea Fotofili NSW
19 Helaman Samuela QLD
20 Jack Walters NSW
21 Matt Fairnington QLD
22 Will Fay NSW
23 Alex Northam NSW

All are from NSW or Qld none from the Div 2 Championships. This is against the idea of why this side was started - to give the best players from the other minor states that compete in the Div 2 Championships a chance to show their skills against the best players from the stronger states. I know WA and Vic are on their own this year and this side needed bolstering from NSW and Qld but not the whole side. I take from this that there was no player of sufficient quality to warrant their selection in this side.

R

rugbywhisperer

All are from NSW or Qld none from the Div 2 Championships. This is against the idea of why this side was started - to give the best players from the other minor states that compete in the Div 2 Championships a chance to show their skills against the best players from the stronger states. I know WA and Vic are on their own this year and this side needed bolstering from NSW and Qld but not the whole side. I take from this that there was no player of sufficient quality to warrant their selection in this side.

I think you can take from it that ;
1: Coach Ian Jones knows the Qld lads play very well to the point of expert,
2: I cannot comment on how well the other coaches know the NSW lads however Ian Jones was in Sydney I understand to observe the NSW trial games so it could be infered that he knows the NSW players ability as well,
3: Looking at the team it is a very strong team and should not on any account be taken lightly. While the players did not make their respective state teams they are nonetheless very competent and certainly will come out firing on emotion alone. They will to a large extent be pissed off and will want to prove a point as will the coach who is also very astute, wily and as cunning as a shithouse rat.
4. If Ian Jones picked the lads then in his opinion they would definitely be better than the other lads at the Div II champs. He will not be contemplating any result other than total tournament victory I can tell you now.
And to that extent we know the capability of all teams as there are really no smokies so to speak, except what may be in the Vic and WA teams. We have generally known quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.