• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PS Earlier in the thread I mentioned the order in which State Schools and Oz schools pick their teams. There were 4 units in my mind for NSW, Qld and Oz Schools because each had two teams, and each team had a starting XV and reserves.

So I ambushed one of the Oz Schools officials and he told me as follows:

Qld and NSW are required by Oz Schools to pick their best player in a position in their Ones and their 2nd best in their Twos. The reason for this is that they don't want the best scrummie, for example, getting most of the play during the Schools tournament: they want to have a good look at the 2nd best player. The best reserves should be with the Ones and the other reserves in the Twos - give or take a bit of fine tuning to balance out both 23s.

That is the protocol, but it is none of their business as to whom the state selectors pick. [Let's not go there again.]

Oz Schools select their two teams differently. The top 23 are in the Ones and the next rated 23 are in the Twos. In other words: the two top rated scrummies are in the Ones - and the reserves for the Ones generally are rated higher than the starters for the Twos. Again, fine tuning may be needed and the odd reserve may find himself in the 'wrong' team to balance the sides better.

Makes sense.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee are their any outstanding players in this years schoolboy class, the same sort of impact as kimami situati had last year

also what happened to Jonny o'connor of tss, JOC (James O'Connor)'s brother, i saw that he stayed behind another year to get a run in the first team and i also heard he got some academy place at TWF

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm the wrong one to ask because the Oz Schools Championships were in Brisbane this year. I live in Sydney and will travel to Canberra for an Oz Schools tournament, but not Brisbane.

It's always hard to judge schools players as likely professional players in the future for the reasons I listed on this page:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5512-Waratah-Shield-2010?p=174957#post174957

But last year I saw a 15 year old Qld winger Chris F'Sautia (BSHS), who is promising. He was chosen for the Oz Schools Ones in 2009 at such a young age and is back at school now. He played 13 in 2010 for his school and for Qld Ones. He's back in the Oz Schools Ones again but I'm not sure what position he will play in the upcoming "test" matches. He may play on the wing again because the other midfielders are outstanding.

Another standout is Qld winger/fullback Lindsay Crook (TSS) who is arguably the fastest schools rep. in the country and a good footie player to boot - when his team gives him the ball. Reportedly he is being offered an academy contract by the Brumbies and there is talk that he will be in the Oz Sevens team when the new squad is picked in November.

I can't comment too much about new Qld players but I know a bit more about the NSW players despite some bizarre selections.

Another talent returning to school and back in the Oz Schools Ones in 2010 is hooker Hugh Roach (Newington). He's not going to be as big a man as TPN but he sure plays like him at the schools level – a pig dog around the rucks and tackling, and bowls folks over with the ball in hand.

Qld lock Curtis Browning (BSHS) was a goer last year and made Oz A Schools when 16 y.o. but his future in senior rugby is as an 8 IMO. He looked like he was a school version of Mark Loane and a few Qld posters have offered a similar opinion.

3. Guy Millar
(Kings)is an oustanding schools THP though one wonders if he will grow big enough to play there in the professional game in a few years time. Maybe he will have to switch to LHP – or hooker. I feel that THP Oliver Hoskins (Scotch College, WA) will play for the Force one day as sure as God made little apples – unless some Pom Academy grabs him. He's big, as mentioned above in another post and bench presses 160kgs at the minute, if that means anything.

Two other players I rate but having not seen them play in the Oz Schools tournament I have to withhold a complete wrap: they are 12. Apolosi Latinupulu (Newington) and 13. Malietoa Hingano (St.Augustines). Both are good ball runners and facilitators of others, and, as I have said before: I can't remember a 13 recently who is so comfortable on the ball as Mali is, even in senior rugby.

But talk is cheap: one has to watch them play NZ Schools first before a true assessment can be made - and the Kiwis don't visit us this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
what happened to Jonny o'connor of tss, JOC (James O'Connor)'s brother, i saw that he stayed behind another year to get a run in the first team and i also heard he got some academy place at TWF

Don't know him. I note only that he didn't make either Qld team but was picked in the Combined States team in which overlooked players can get a second chance.

So he played in the Oz Schools tournament but didn't get selected in either of the Oz Schools teams.

W

wallaby

The Oz A team seemed to ahve significant depth with their reserves, compiling a dominant force that was especially portrayed in the fowards. The constant driving mauls and fantastic structure ultimately lead to the game win. I believe that Wessels play a higher quality game than the starting number 9 and along with 10 distributed great ball to the fast attacking backs. No doubt in my mind that Keary (15) was my Man Of The Match and looked threatening all game.

The centres however, i feel were not up to standard and did not connect or peform any outstanding plays. Ingate ( reserve) i believe is hard done by for reserving, and could easily start 13. Number 12, a great hard runner, needs to however distribute more and have more pace.

G

Grandstand

The no 12 from Qld looked flat footed and was repeatedly caught with the ball in the first half, the backs functioned much better in the seond half . The forwards in the first 15 mintues were totally dominant in both set piece and at the breakdown but fell away a bit thereafter. I actually thought the no 9 from ACT in the Presidents XV was the pick of the no 9's, had all the skills, an excellent pass, good running game and put players into gaps, very impressive. Keary was outstanding, must get the call up to the Australian team for sure.

R

Rothschild

Lee are their any outstanding players in this years schoolboy class, the same sort of impact as kimami situati had last year
also what happened to Jonny o'connor of tss, JOC (James O'Connor)'s brother, i saw that he stayed behind another year to get a run in the first team and i also heard he got some academy place at TWF

Johnny O'Connor went into the Qld schools carrying an injury and broke down and did not compete for the Combined team. He underwent surgery during the half year break.
Yes apparently he has an academy deal with the Force.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm told this on good authority. They have resisted moving F'Sautia to 13 and Crook to 15.
Mid field and back three for Aussie Schools this week;

11 F'Sautia
12 Apo
13 Hingano
14 Crook
15 Holland

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
1. E.Palupe
2. T.Reid
3. O.Hoskins ((v.capt)
4. J.Bridges
5. B.Melrose
6. J.Atkins
7. S.Goodman (cap)
8. J.Holloway
9. A.Molimau
10. G.Davies
11. M.Hulme
12. C.Patrick
13. S.Hunt
14. G.Phillips ?
15. L.Keary

Note: The programme did not include Lausii Taliauli, who was selected; so I assume that he was injured. Matt Hulme, who wasn't originally selected was listed at 14, but he had the 11 jersey on and played on the left wing. The guy in the 14 jersey played on the right wing and is listed as 11.Phillips but he went off early. He was an ethnic Islander lad; so it may have been Taliauli after all though he wasn't in programme.

I have just re-read that and I didn't understand it either.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm told this on good authority. They have resisted moving F'Sautia to 13 and Crook to 15.
Mid field and back three for Aussie Schools this week;

11 F'Sautia
12 Apo
13 Hingano
14 Crook
15 Holland

Makes sense to get Hingano in the run on team. The only doubt I have is whether Apo Latinupulu and Mali Hingano can combine. Though talented ball players and runners they are similar in type and sometimes that doesn't work.

On the other hand: if they can combine well they will be dynamite, and the group 11 to 15 will be the strength of the team later v NZ.

R

Rothschild

Thanks Lee and Rothschild
I have heard of Sautia before and Lindsay Crook was he playing in this vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNwVnPYlIYM&feature=channel
Jonny O'connor is at 15
Also how what has happened to cayden maheateare (spelling) and simon morahan since they left school

Crook I think is 14 in that vid,
Mataheare returned to school to have another shot at Keebra Park. He is playing with Sunnybank, made res for Qld I. He had a decent tournament but didn't make Oz Schools. Dion Taumata had a great tournament at 10 and the coach really didn't give caden a chance by changing his on field position every couple of minutes or so.
Moraghan is playing and studying at Uni of Qld but has not taken too well living away from home I hear.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I understand Steve Cummins has been appointed to captain the Australian Schoolboy team. Well done Steve. You are a credit to your school, state and country.

N

NorthernSon

Hmm,
Certainly was disappointed in the standard of play in both games. Yes limited prep, yes greasy ball but seriously this was not the near the pinnacle of school boy rugby and to be honest Shore 1's or even Joeys 2nds could have put on a better spectacle.

Thank god it wasnt like the Nationals and you had to pay.

Keary had a blinder and will tour, O Sullivan also deserves a trip on the plane.

No one else grabbed an opportunity like those two boys although Holloway and Davies were putting up their hand and are worth another look in better company.

Stu Goodman was solid without shining and unforunately word from the camp is Hoskins size and effectiveness on the park was compromised by his ego and has Never Tour Again on his passport!

The inside centre from Queensland No 12 (forget his name) had the worst case of superglue I can recall and killed at least 5 opportunities!

I hope Wednesday and Saturday are better for the main team as Im predicting another loss to NZ

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
And his club.

Sorry Lindommer.....how dare I forget the Pirates! Indeed they, along with the Hills and JGS coaches, have done a great job with Steve. And before someone writes in and says, "his family", yes his family as well. He is an intelligent, nice natured boy that will go a long way in the game.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
A very interesting article by Spiro in the SMH this morning has reflected what many members here suggest and that is a reorganisation of the schools rugby competitions. Wouldn't it be great to see a Hills v Newington battle or Auggies battling with the mighty Barker first XV?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...es-the-y-factor-in-spades-20100906-14y2r.html

Increasingly, too, schools rather than the clubs are going to be the pathway to Super 15 rugby and then the Wallabies. New Zealand is already on the case. This year's New Zealand schoolboys squad was announced at the weekend, at the conclusion of the annual top-four first XV tournament. The finalists emerged from winners of various city tournaments involving up to 10 schools in each city. This is a model the ARU needs to replicate. If the GPS schools resist, as might be the case, then the ARU should go ahead with the needed restructure of schools rugby without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.