• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I much appreciate your reports Whispers. For those of us not at the games it's great to get feedback on how the teams are faring and who is playing well. I'm also getting some feedback from one of the parents up there. But it's hard; he's always at the pub!

I'm really looking forward to your reports tomorrow.

R

rugbywhisperer

I much appreciate your reports Whispers. For those of us not at the games it's great to get feedback on how the teams are faring and who is playing well. I'm also getting some feedback from one of the parents up there. But it's hard; he's always at the pub!
I'm really looking forward to your reports tomorrow.

Guys is a pleasure to be of service. Objectivity is a concern however when you know so many players, their strengths and weaknesses and naturally you would prefer to write good things about those closest.
Sometimes a comment must be said in spite of the disdain of others. If I comment negatively I will do so with explanation.
It's a burden but I will try my best.

C

chief

Why is Whispers banned?

Looks like the ACT team is going to come out being competitive. I look forward to possibly seeing them tomorrow. Lots of St Edmunds boys I'm guessing?

S

saviour road

Boy some subjective opinions here - didn't see all games but watched the Qld 1's - pretty disgraceful effort all around i'd say - forwards turned ball over to ACT 6-8 times - plenty of bludgers, seagulls and hogs out there - only about 2 proper backline movements and the best was by far the try scored by the ACT - quick hands, draw and pass, no hogging with resultant and spectacular try in the corner. Won't go into individual performances, puff the lads into dreamland or elsewhere as not helpful. Hopefully the lads themselves (and the parents) will be self critical and improve their very lack lustre performances . Wow these are Australian selection trials so need to lift game or should be hooked (particularly seagulls and hoggers) by coaches.

Just arrived home and just migrated from that other place that is not here.
I agree with you Truth.
There is too much political correctness when describing players. Say what needs to be said, explain why and that should be it.
I will be attending today and I will see how the guys from Qld and NSW are going as really they should be the only real players there.
Particular interest in Slipper to see if he got fit this year, the loosies and tighties for Qld and the much talked about NSW selection mishaps..

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Have not heard anything about the various backrows yet. I was interested to see how the phil Waugh flanker model for nsw1s compared to qld's selections. What type of flanker has qld gone for? Any observations? Any George smith types?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Todays games are
qld1 v WA
NSW11 v ACT
NSW1 v CS
Qld11 v Vic

all these matches will provide some indiction of whether the day 1 form is creditable. Will Qld 1 put 70 on WA? Is WA a good yardstick for the merits of a side? Will ACT backup against NSW11 and give them a fight? Was the form of NSW11 on Tuesday an indication of their quality? Will CS combine better today? Can NSW1 improve from their scratchy game on Monday and beat the score of Qld111? Will Qld 11 perform better against Vic than NSW?

The teams running on today may be a little different to Tuesdays teams as players who didn't start on Tuesday will start today. I look forward to others comments on the games this evening.

My predictions

Qld 1 will win easily matching nSW11's score from Tuesday
NSW11 will struggle against ACT but will just get away with it
NSW1 will win by about 20 points with their forwards leading the way
Qld 11 will beat Vic but will still be underperforming

O

Overseer

Good to see the QRU thinking of the patrons. Gates remaining closed till just before kickoff, all the good comfy seats cordoned off, charging admittance tomorrow and Sunday. Onya qld.

O

Overseer

Truth you are correct. Too many greedy selfish players inQldI. NSWII will win tomorrow if that behavior is not remedied. Qld I 61 - WA 7. yet not one single full backline play. Crook didn't make same mistakes, set up 2 great trys andscored one himself thru sheer speed. Sauria stabilized the backs in2nd half. WA front row all over the Qld pigs. Elisha Palupe and Taefu not so good.

P

PTB

Good to see the King's lads going strong for NSW II's and also Millar for NSW I's proving that they should be in NSW I's Especially Killingworth and Gillespie

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Just arrived home and just migrated from that other place that is not here.
I agree with you Truth.

There is too much political correctness when describing players. Say what needs to be said, explain why and that should be it.

Welcome aboard savior road and other refugees.

If you are indicating that there should be more Sportal type licence here to denigrate opinions just because they differ from yours, or worse to abuse such opinions, my suggestions is to try another forum.

If you are not saying that but suggesting that the posts are too bland: fair enough; but it's hard for some of we older blokes who have, or have had, teenage sons, to criticise schoolboy players who are doing their best and have done well enough to represent their state. Younger posters are more dogmatic and I understand them: when I was at their age I knew everything and I was fearless in offering extreme views.

It's not that easy to report on school tournaments. As one who has done these kind of reports when the tournament was in Sydney or Canberra it is difficult be dogmatic about players you see for the first time. Even if you have seen them before in trials (in Sydney in my case) you have to factor in that they are now playing in a team thrown together for four games. The teams change on most game days, so players scarcely have a chance to settle in with team mates.

When they are from a different state it takes a few games to recognise them without looking them up and sometimes the names in the programmes are wrong.

So unless a player has a blinder or a shocker one has to be circumspect. Once you have seen all 4 games, different story; you can be a bit more critical of a player having seen him play over a few matches.

O

Overseer

In a total get out of jail NSW I 10 CS 6 who were by far the better team on the day

S

skullring

Latinipulu getting a red card today for a throw in the nsw 2 match earlier today, which left them a man down and led to ACT scoring a few late tries. Will be interesitng to see what the judiciary does about his match tomorrow, since they are essentially just trial matches, and whether or not he is allowed to play for nsw 2 against qld 1 tomorrow. since that basically the most crucial match of this competition, and his absence would leave a considerable hole in the nsw II team, doing him, and his team mates chances no favours at all, over something so cruel as to suspend him after having travelled all that way.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
It would be terrible for the 2's to lose Apo. Coming on top of the tournament-ending injuries to starting wingers Seage and Clark it is just not what the 2's need right now after they won 35-27 today. I understand ACT scored some late trys to give the score some respectibility.

I heard the following; Back rower Tom Connor was the official man of the match. Other good performances came from the other backrowers Joel Luani and Boyd Killingworth while 13 Chris Ingate was dominant.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Here is my revised market on the C'ships taking into account the results so far;

2/1 QLD 1 NSW 2
5/1 NSW 1
5/1 CS
25/1 QLD 2
50/1 ACT, Vic
100/1 WA

Status
Not open for further replies.